ilan2212

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Hey ,

Im going to buy a new PC , as my old 1 which is about 3 years old is dying.
anyway , I wanted to ask if i should wait for the next generation of nvidia & ati and the 45 nm intel processors , or just buy now or in the near future.
I am in NO RUSH , and the rig would be used for GAMING ONLY , and I have a budget of about 1100$ but if REALLY needed I can get some more.
now , I dont know exactly how to overclock , but i could learn if needed , so take that into consideration.

what are your suggestions?

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
i would definitely wait, which is what im doing. waiting for penryn and next gen from nvidia. ill probably make one when penryn comes, and just use my old graphics card till the new ones come out.

tlmck

Distinguished

It might be over a year before you can build a nextgen system for ~$1100.

What you could do right now, is get a fast Core2Duo, a P35 based MB, and an 8800gt. When the new quad Penryns hit, you can just drop one in, and of course when the newer vid cards get within range, the same applies.

With the current state of AMD/ATI, who knows?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Agree with tlmck. Assuming the new gen Intel comes out the middle of next year, it will be another 9 months give or take for prices to come down of an $1100 computer. Who knows what will happen with AMD The reviews of the Phenom haven't been very complementary to say the least and AMD is up to there A$$ in troubles and sinking fast.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Would suggest a P35 mobo. If you need firewire, e.g., for a camcorder, the ASUS would be good otherwise the Gigabyte. Given I'm not a gamer will defer to someone else re the video card. Keep in mind that the newest technology is always considerably more expensive so with an $1100 budget probably better to go with a current card.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131180
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813128059

Mintcondition

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007

Amen to that. That is exactly how I am going about my new system. The E6750 is the best bang for the buck for gamers (IMHO) and the 8800GT is phenomenal for the price.

ilan2212

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
hmm ok , but given that i dont live in the US , and that the prices are diffrent , it could vary.
ok this is what i think would be fine:
Core 2 Duo E6850, 1333Mhz, s775, 4MB
P35-DS3L s775 C2Q 1333Mhz, Intel P35, DDRII 1066, PCI-E
2x1GB Corsair XMS2 TwinX CL5
8800GT 512MB GDDR3 DX10 HDTV 2xDVI PCI-E
and some kind of cooling (dunno which yet i dont really know much about which to have)
is that build OK?

tlmck

Distinguished
Top that off with a nice case and good quality PSU and you are good to go. I don't know about prices where you are, but the Corsair 450vx, or an Antec Earthwatts 500 are excellent deals over here right now. Both would be a good match for your system.

The stock Intel cooler is very good, even for some overclocking. I would wait until you need to before replacing it.

PS, don't forget the drives!

Mintcondition

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
It looks good to me. I know here, the 6850 runs $90 more than the 6750, for a disproportionate performance gain. But either would be an excellent choice.

I think your last list looks good.
Instead of the 8800GT, look at the 8800GTS-512-G92. It is just a bit faster, but it also has a better two slot cooler, so it may not cost more. If you are talking about cpu cooling, then the thermalright ultra 120 extreme is about the best, but almost any oem cooler will be better than the stock cooler(which isn't bad). The big adbantage is that a better cooler will be quieter.
I like the 4gb of memory because more games are using more memory, and it is cheap these days. a 32-bit os will see only 3.3gb, but that is still much better than just 2gb. Vista-64-bit works well and will let you use all 4gb.
A quality psu can save you some problems. The wattage is not as important as the amperage delivered at 12v. I think you will need 26a on 12v or better for your whole system.
pick a tier 1 or 2 unit from this list: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

ilan2212

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
how big is the difference between e6850 and e6750?
and yes, i can probably switch 2 the gts , i havent noticed it before in the store.
and again - SHOULD I WAIT FOR THE NEW NVIDIA?

Realisticaly, not much difference, particularly if you overclock a touch.
At this time, there is only speculation about what the new nvidia will be. My guess is that it will be a noticeable step above the ultra, perhaps with 1024 memory size. If it becomes the new fastest card, you can bet it will have a priemium price. The time frame is feb/march probably just past my EVGA step-up expiration date.
If you wait for the next best thing, you will wait forever. It is easy to swap out a vga card, so it would be easy to change your mind later. A newish high end vga card is always marketable on e-bay.

Whoa! The Gigabyte P35C-DS3R is the version that has both DDR2 and DDR3 memory slots. It is more expensive than the GA-P35-DS3R which only has DDR2 slots. By the time DDR3 memory is cheap enough, you will need to replace the mobo anyway. There is no need to add the complexity of DDR3 capability. The non"C" version would be much better.

Do consider 4gb up front, either 2x2 or 4x1 configuration. Memory sticks, even from the same vendor can have different engineering specs over time. Small differences can cause problems if you want to upgrade later. With DDR2-800 memory so cheap these days, it makes sense to me to be certain you have enough up front. Just saving a few hard page faults per second is like a 5% cpu increase. Some games will use extra memory to improve performance. If you do any multitasking at all, it is certainly worth it.