Windows root system32 ntoskrnl exe

moneymkr01

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hello,I have a Asus Eee PC without a CD drive, so how do I reinstall the recovery cd? The message: "windows root system32 ntoskrnl.exe" came up on a black screen.
Is there another way to repair this problem?

you can take the drive out and use another computer to re-install XP, and I hate to mention it but these problems are caused quite frequently by windows automatic updates. On computers where the windows updates are shut off permanently, the problems never occur.
Or you can buy a CD drive, open the computer, plug in the drive. When people try to do this with an external USB CD drive, a lot of times it does not work, I'm not sure why. You can try both.

It sounds like you should go to Amazon and buy a system builders XP pro disk, it's cheaper. Then do the repair install, not new install. The reboot disk might work, but I can't be sure what's on it. And watch out cause some restore disks will wipe all your personal files.

Yes, order a new XP Pro disk from the cheapest source, load it in the drive and start the computer, it should start installing, but when you get to: reformat or repair? Try the repair installation, don't reformat the drive, that way you can save your personal files.
When the system gets up and running, back up your personal files to a CD, DVD, online backup service, such as Mozy.
Check Tom's XP forum, the fourth post from the top, it has directions for the repair install. Most times the repair will work.

TRENDING THREADS