Sign in with
Your question

burining takes ages :|

Last response: in Storage
October 31, 2008 11:06:52 AM

I have a little problem burning my discs. It takes 1,5 - 2 hours :sweat: 
I got 16X speed DVD's (CD's have same problem), it starts buring and sais "burning at 16x, 22-something MB/s" and that it will take 4 minutes. I used a calculator, and it's really supposed to take that with the speed. But after like 10 minutes the estimated time changes to 30 minutes, later it grows to an hour. During the process one of CPU cores is at 100% usage, the other is always at 0 and the whole system is like hanged. Tried different burning programs, so it's not a software issue.

Teh specs:
CPU: C2D E6300 @ 2,2GHz
mobo: MSI P965 neo
2GB ram
Win xp pro sp2 32bits
HDD: ExcelStor Technology J8160S SATAII Buffer 7384 KB
DVD drive: now here comes problems

Everest says it's atapi DVD DW (doesn't look like model or brand to me). Waranty card says it's Lite-on/Philips DW1650 - 155C. I looked on the drive itself and it says philips DVDRWDL16X. I think the middle one (waranty card) is the right one, but i'm not sure. :heink:  Also, it's IDE (could this be a major bottleneck?)

I can't remember exactly, but i think i've seen something about this on mobo's manufacturer's site. A BIOS issue i think, not sure. If that's true, how hard would it be to flash it?

More about : burining takes ages

a b G Storage
October 31, 2008 11:31:05 AM

The IDE interface is plenty fast enough for a DVD/CD burner.
Have you tried another drive? They do go bad occasionally, and they don't cost much.
October 31, 2008 11:42:43 AM

Double check your IDE cables. I had a backup IDE harddrive with a faulty cable benched it to check whats wrong found out my drive was running between 5 to 3mb/s. The speed went up to 50 mb/s average after I replaced the cable.
Related resources
October 31, 2008 11:49:44 AM

Oh, i forgot something.. Me and my friend bought exactly the same pre-built computers, and he has the same problem. Well there are some differences now (GPU, PSU, hard drive) but the mobo and the burner is still the same
October 31, 2008 11:52:09 AM

If your system is running fine, it sounds like a odd has gone bad. A really good way to test it is to download a distro of linux that boots live from CD, and then try and burn. Rules out software completely, if it still burns at glacial speeds.
October 31, 2008 11:52:13 AM

try defragment your harddrives and you might want to install/update your burner's firmware.
October 31, 2008 12:00:20 PM

curnel_D said:
If your system is running fine, it sounds like a odd has gone bad. A really good way to test it is to download a distro of linux that boots live from CD, and then try and burn. Rules out software completely, if it still burns at glacial speeds.

I have live CD ubuntu, but can I remove the CD while it's on? I only have CD drive
October 31, 2008 12:04:44 PM

Wth, why it won't let me edit my mesages? :( 

defragmenting doesn't work, this is actually an old problem. I just didn't care before, because i very rarely burned anything.

Another thing I just remembered: Installing a 6GB game right from the DVD takes 2+ hours too.
October 31, 2008 12:06:10 PM

konzserwas said:
I have a little problem burning my discs. It takes 1,5 - 2 hours Win xp pro sp2 32bits

I can't remember exactly, but i think i've seen something about this on mobo's manufacturer's site. A BIOS issue i think, not sure. If that's true, how hard would it be to flash it?

Make certain the writer and hard drive are in DMA mode, not PIO. PIO mode will cause very slow hard drive access and writing speed, as you describe.

- "Control panel / system / Hardware / Device Manager / IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers / Primary(Secondary) IDE Channel / Properties / Advanced Settings." If it's PIO, (but set to DMA,) then change setting to PIO, reboot, change to DMA, reboot. If that fails then uninstall Controllers, DO NOT SHUT DOWN! "Action / Scan for Hardware change," let reinstall.
October 31, 2008 12:11:44 PM

They're set to DMA, but there's something strange. At "current transfer mode" it says "not aplicable" :|
October 31, 2008 12:13:45 PM

If you have money for a new internal DVD writer, I would suggest to go for a Plextor drive instead. They are excellent! Also you could try to burn with other burning software too.

You can try InfraRecorder ( http://infrarecorder.org/ ) and BwgBurn ( http://bwgburn.sourceforge.net/ ). Did it help?
October 31, 2008 12:15:28 PM

I already tried other software and i'm not willing to buy. At least not until i'm 102% sure this one's dead
a b G Storage
October 31, 2008 12:19:06 PM

Don't worry about the "non applicable". Mine says the same and it works.
Make sure both your cores are working by running some antivirus and doing CTRL-ALT-DEL and look at performance.
October 31, 2008 12:24:50 PM

Both cores are O.K.

I got another crazy idea: is there any chance that the data is delayed because the HDD and DVD drive are different types? HDD is sata, DVD is IDE
October 31, 2008 12:43:07 PM

konzserwas said:
They're set to DMA, but there's something strange. At "current transfer mode" it says "not aplicable" :|

That means there's nothing connected to that port, you're looking at the wrong channel. Check the other IDE channels until you find one that has something in Current transfer mode such as "Ultra DMA Mode 6" or as I suspect "PIO Mode" THAT'S the channel on which you should try the procedure I suggested.

There should be one to three Primary channels, and one to three Secondaries. Only a couple will have drives connected to them. I'm convinced this is your problem, not any of the other stuff discussed.

By the way, what causes the Windows IDE driver to revert to PIO is a failed write. The system may have become busy during writing to the hard drive, or it's a software issue. For the latter, since this affects to systems, you may have a common piece of audio software with an incompatible writing module for instance.
October 31, 2008 12:57:22 PM

Genius me. When i checked it last time the drive was disconnected :D 
Ultra DMA 5
October 31, 2008 1:03:01 PM

konzserwas said:
Genius me. When i checked it last time the drive was disconnected :D 
Ultra DMA 5

If the system was booted without the drive connected, and now shows it as DMA, then that may have fixed it for now. Make sure ALL drives are DMA, then try a burning test.
October 31, 2008 1:24:46 PM

konzserwas said:
IWaranty card says it's Lite-on/Philips DW1650 - 155C. I looked on the drive itself and it says philips DVDRWDL16X.

Forgot to mention, that's a BenQ DW1650, a very good drive. An no, being flat ribbon IDE (Parallel ATA) is NOT a bottleneck.
October 31, 2008 1:30:13 PM

What program are you using to burn discs? you should be able to see the buffer as its writing. If the burner is the problem the buffer will always be completely full as its writing.. if the source disc is the problem the buffer will empty out and then slowly fill back up again.. The burner will pause the burning process when the buffer is empty.. If its constantly pausing it will greatly extend the burn time.
a b G Storage
October 31, 2008 1:36:33 PM

Is the jumper in the right place?
October 31, 2008 1:43:14 PM

If the jumpers were not configured properly the drive would not even be detected.
October 31, 2008 1:50:08 PM

blackened144 said:
What program are you using to burn discs? you should be able to see the buffer as its writing. If the burner is the problem the buffer will always be completely full as its writing.. if the source disc is the problem the buffer will empty out and then slowly fill back up again.. The burner will pause the burning process when the buffer is empty.. If its constantly pausing it will greatly extend the burn time.

100% right. The "Burner being the problem" can include the IDE driver for either or both the DVDrom and hard drive; however the actual burner software should not cause a slow burn - it works or it doesn't.
a b G Storage
October 31, 2008 1:59:16 PM

Alot of newer motherboards use IDE "emulation" over sata, even if the cable is a sata cable the port itself is emulated. Try checking the bios to see what sata mode is set, play with and see if you get results. On the same note, see if there are any bios and chipset updates. Check for firmware updates for your dvd rom as well.
October 31, 2008 2:02:47 PM

I wasnt saying the software would effect the burning, but depending on which one youre using you can monitor the buffer to help narrow the problem down.. The software i use here at work does not allow you to see the buffer usage, which would make it pointless for this but Nero does..
a b G Storage
October 31, 2008 2:39:40 PM

Check for updated firmware like PsyKhiqZero said and try a different brand of CDs/DVDs.
A new SATA burner is like $30.00.
a c 353 G Storage
October 31, 2008 3:19:12 PM

Sounds like the problem is either your bios, or the IDE cable (should be a 80 wire vs older 40 wire ribbon). Some of the older MB hade problems with newer DVD writers (Back of my mind - most problems were with SATA drives and was related to BIOS setting)

Drives are only around $22 for IDE and $26 for SATA Price from New egg on Lite-on models).

For Khelben, Yes Plextor drives are very good, BUT were VERY expensive (3 to 4 times othe brands). I have the 716 SATA and the 755 Sata. BUT alas Plextor exitted the OEM market to concentrate on HD drives. There are some rebaged DVD drives called Plextor, But not made by Plextor.
October 31, 2008 4:35:09 PM

Heh now i feel guilty for not looking at this too often :D  it's a problem with these PIO/DMA stuff, now i'm trying to get my PC change it to what it's supposed to be :D 
October 31, 2008 4:46:09 PM

And I failed. It resits to change into DMA, no matter what. Tried the reinstalling too, no change. Any ideas?
October 31, 2008 4:58:39 PM

Delete the ide controler in device manager then reboot.

it will force a redetect and install of them.

Brad
October 31, 2008 5:28:55 PM

No change :( 
a c 82 G Storage
October 31, 2008 6:16:41 PM

konzserwas, as RetiredChief suggested, did you ensure that your cable is 80-wire and not an old 40-wire cable? Does your IDE cable have a blue connector at one end?
October 31, 2008 7:36:33 PM

Both connectors are black. But.. err.. Should i look at whole connector or only top of it? one of them was *cough*modded*cough* with a knife, because the port is right at the end of PCI-e and I coudn't fit my 88GTX in there :| and i have no idea how it looked before that. Note that I'm 100% sure this is not the reason of the problem, as I had this problem before that, and the friend I mentioned has the problem without modded cables :D 
a c 82 G Storage
October 31, 2008 8:07:32 PM

Normally the end that's connected to the motherboard is blue and the other end is black. Was your cable provided with the motherboard? If so, then it should be 80-wire.
October 31, 2008 8:27:59 PM

I bought a pre-built computer. I've no idea where did they get the cable, everything was connected already
October 31, 2008 9:30:58 PM

konzserwas said:
I bought a pre-built computer. I've no idea where did they get the cable, everything was connected already

If these systems were both prebuilts from the same place, then that explains the error in common, they are both screwed up in the same way.

Try the suggested idea of a "hot" reinstall of the IDE port. Also physically change the port the burner is connected to. DON'T fool with the cable, use an unmodified 80-wire. The burning software might cause DMA to fail, but it wouldn't prevent the attempt to change from PIO to DMA from working until at least the next boot.
November 1, 2008 3:06:54 PM

I reinstalled the IDE port twice. My mobo only has 1 port. And the cable mod couldn't harm it, it isnt's really of the cable, just a lump of plastic on the connector, which has no contact with cable itself. Too bad i don't have a camera, can't show you :(  and even if it could damage it somehow, with unmodded cable there's no way I could fit my VGA in there.
November 1, 2008 11:50:56 PM

konzserwas said:
I reinstalled the IDE port twice. My mobo only has 1 port. And the cable mod couldn't harm it, it isnt's really of the cable, just a lump of plastic on the connector,

Did you follow this excellent link that Zorg provided?

http://winhlp.com/node/10
!