Sign in with
Your question

Toms New Reference System

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2007 5:05:08 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/12/21/toms_reference_s...

I like the ideas behind the new reference system at THG. :) 

I'd like to argue for the 8800GT to be added and also the Phenom (inc TLB patch to be fair and use an 1800fsb non-eng sample) and possibly an X2 cpu.

This would make welcome additions ... a bit more diversity.

No flame war comments please ... just comment on what you think they should add or delete for the reference systems.

I am sure they might look positively at the thread providing it doesn't go downhill fast.

850W PSU ... whoa there !! Thats a hefty start to a system !!! heh heh.

More about : toms reference system

December 26, 2007 5:19:12 AM

I understand this site caters to enthusiasts; but is it necessary to use a DDR3 motherboard. Buying it[DDR3] right now is unrealistic, due to its price factor?
December 26, 2007 6:32:34 AM

Its not like there recommending you go out and buy DDR3 Ram, but the Asus P5E3 Deluxe is an enthusiasts motherboard. I think its a well balanced system for the single graphics card Gamer that is not willing to buy two graphics cards.
Related resources
December 26, 2007 6:33:25 AM

what a joke - i skipped any posts on this when i read it.

6850? when a q6600 runs 3.6ghz THG - i can only wonder??

850w psu for a 400w system? this only needs 600-700w psu

3870? not 2? why not the 8800GTS (92) its better then the GT and about the same price

WD500? sorry i am just pro seagate when it comes to 7.2k drives

no raid
no raptor?

i think this is a reference as a average bench mark?

i really do not understand the parts selection.
December 26, 2007 6:48:24 AM

I really think the concept is long past due.
The system is not ment to be bleeding edge, but just a good down home setup. I think a lot of effort went into the choices (and trying to get manus to supply the parts). It seems like a well rounded system.
Small gripe, without a power switch on the back of the psu, the unit will not supply a ground, while de-energized.
December 26, 2007 6:51:59 AM

ddr3 and 3870 is bleeding edge whle bleeding with badly needed another card. come on? $500 ram with $500 in gpu and cpu

gpu should be the highest price
cpu should be second then ram

you can get $50 ram and put in much better cards and quad core

but its not place to read THG mind -?

$320 mobo? makes no sence - its a nice upgrade rig if want to add another card but why the 6850?
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2007 7:13:32 AM

Will the DDR3 give a significant advantage to newer released cpu's ... I suppose that is my question there?

I recall an article saying no ... but they run cooler with better latency.

DDR2 is so cheap ... and if your running Vista you will need twice as much ram. Bet this makes the Taiwanese ram fabs smile ... they don't have much to smile about at present.
December 26, 2007 7:26:30 AM

I think you guys are missing the point. There just isn't that much choice when you are asking for parts for fifteen systems, with a total budget of $11.49 The supplier has to cover the cost of shipping internationally even.
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2007 8:06:13 AM

So the decisions on what to include seem to be on what manufacturers were willing to donate??

Good onya ASUS ... my no 1 mobo pref.

No quad ... c'mon Intel ... some Q's please?

No 8800GT ... what ... NVIDIA can't donate 15 cards to THG??

NVIDIA ... c'mon ... ship the guys some free cards ... via one of the companies you supply the gpu's to.

And ... while I am being cheeky ... give them 15 GTS 512's while your at it.

heh heh.

December 26, 2007 10:58:33 AM

Aljazera said:
I understand this site caters to enthusiasts; but is it necessary to use a DDR3 motherboard. Buying it[DDR3] right now is unrealistic, due to its price factor?

I hear ya, but just as DDR2 was at one time too expensive, DDR3 is now. Tom's is just getting a jump on things and is perhaps making a reference system to last through 2008.
December 26, 2007 9:36:33 PM

the idea is balance - if your building your own system then you make it the way you want.

a reference system should be balanced that includes for gaming.

any system using a dual core and mid level gpu should not be using top of the line ram and mobo - that makes no sence - sorry.

your cpu gpu cost is equal to your ram cost?
when using ddr2 you could get a $150 savings on the same mobo in ddr2 and $400 saving for the ram.

the $650 would buy much better graphics cards

maybe its my game system perspective.

strange i think you name says it all you are strange please continue to be a stranger too! thx in advanced!

what do i see? its an amd fan boy! that explains your personal attack.

#1 intel fan boy! amd is always #2!
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2007 3:09:33 AM

Gee ... all I asked for was for ppl to add components to the list.

I thought I mentioned in the start of the thread to leave the sticker licking at the door guys.

I agree re: the ram ... which is a dammed if you do ... damned if you don't. I guess they are predicting DDR3 prices will drop.

Hate to add that didn't the memory manufacturers have a glut of DDR2 and seem to have trouble moving it ?? ... I read something about that the other day ... anyone add to that? TC ?
December 27, 2007 3:47:22 AM

DDR3 will become a LOT cheaper as more and more people purchase X38 and X48 motherboards, and any other chipset supporting it. But the real kicker is when AMD makes the move to DDR3. Prices will always decrease as demand increases. Demand is low, so prices are absurdly high right now.

It's the same as it was when it was DDR vs DDR2. Priced high for a bit, than it came down, but it REALLY came down when AMD made the move to Socket AM2.
December 27, 2007 6:49:27 AM

justinmcg67 said:
DDR3 will become a LOT cheaper as more and more people purchase X38 and X48 motherboards, and any other chipset supporting it. But the real kicker is when AMD makes the move to DDR3. Prices will always decrease as demand increases. Demand is low, so prices are absurdly high right now.

It's the same as it was when it was DDR vs DDR2. Priced high for a bit, than it came down, but it REALLY came down when AMD made the move to Socket AM2.

I remember when DDR2 800 cost a fortune, and now its dirt cheap.
!