CPU Temperature measuring programs!

Which programs do you think show the correct temp?

• PC Wizard and HW Monitor

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • CoreTemp and Speedfan

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

Pendergast

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Solve this!

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4665/20354024ur5.jpg

This is a regular screenshot, with greyed out parts you don't need to see and amplified parts that you do :kaola:.
If you vote, write the reason why you think that those particular programs are correct.
Please, do NOT vote or express your opinion based on something you've read somewhere. There is a big difference between theory and reality ;).
Thanks for the replies :).

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

Also not understanding why the CPU type is so secret. Can't really help without that info. Try RealTemp, see if any cores are stuck...Post a useful screen shot as well.

The 15c offset is because of a TJ max on the cpu is 100c according to PC Wizard and HW Monitor and 85 according to CoreTemp and Speedfan.

The cpu does not give its temp, but how far it is from its max. since the software is using different max's you get a 15c offset.

Software: Hey cpu how far
cpu: 58 away
Software: TJmax - 58 = temp

so if its 100c then you get 42 (100-58=42)
if its 85 then its 27(85-58=27)

What cpu is it so we can try to find that max. When the Q6600 came out this was a problem too since its TJmax was up to 100 from 85 and most software was 15c off

Its most likely because one software does not know the temps. If thats idle and with speedstep I would almost have to believe the 27c.

Both temps are more then cool enough to be safe.

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005

Heh... I don't see why I missed that.

-mcg

The 1c difference is just a polling time

The temp with the green box is either Tcase or socket temp. Thats why its lower. That is how temps where taken before(socket sensor) integrated sensors.

the 15c is as mentioned above.

27 looks low, but it depends on your room temps and cooling.

My Q6600 @ 3.0 and 9500AT idles 30-35 depending on room temp(lower if i get the room under 22c) with speed step on.

i see no reason why an e2180 can not get down to 27 idle @ 3.2 with a good heatsink.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Non of them
From My experience only Real TEMP 2.5

E 8500 OC'd 3.8 Temps Under Full load Prime 95

Temps2.jpg

Pendergast

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
The point of the green box was to show that even though PC Wizard and Speedfan show different core temperatures (43 and 27 degrees Celsius respectively), they do show the same socket temperatures (37 degrees Celsius). Still the question remains - which measurement of the core temps is correct? I'd lean to PC Wizard and HW Monitor because I don't see how an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro with MX-1 could cool down an E2180@3.2GHz@1.35Vcore to 27... There was a little trick with my case that i performed which lowered the core temps by 10 degrees Celsius at both idle and load, but I still think 27 is a little too low. Ambient temperature is around 22 degrees Celsius. Do you want to try and shoot a more accurate TJMax?

Those 2 temps that line up are because they come from a chip on the board. the cpu does not only because each app is using a different TJmax

How close you are to TJmax is not changing, just the math used to give you a temp.

If you look at the core2 temp guide it looks like your cpu has a TJmax of 85, that would make speedfan right. I have no clue if Intel has changed anything(i would not put it past them to change something in mid production of a product).

So 5c past hot is 5c below TJmax, that says 85 is MAX,
Just keep your self 35-40 away from TJmax that will leave you a safe margin.

Idle
coretemp1fu6.gif

Pendergast

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Sorry, but it just doesn't fit. I've looked at the guide and did some math for comparison:

For example L2 stepping max Tcase 61c, M0 stepping max Tcase 73c
Section 7: Parameters: "(H) Tcase to Tjunction Delta is typically 5c +/- 3c during Prime95 Small FFT`s." L2 stepping's Tjmax is 100c, so if you say M0 is 85c then:
for L2: 100c - 61c = 39c - 5c = 34c -> L2 can go 34c over Tcase before shutting down? No way.
for M0: 85c - 73c = 12c - 5c = 7c -> so M0 can only take 7c more before shutting down? Remember: L2 stepping max Tcase 61c, M0 stepping max Tcase 73c -> that means, M0 can take more heat than the L2, but if you say that M0's Tjmax is 85c, that would be wrong (34c>7c).
Bottom line: I doubt very much M0 stepping (my E2180 too) has a Tjmax of 85c. I'll look into this more in-depth though.

i give up and i also see no reason why you take the maximum die temp and subtract the maximum temperature measured on the top center(thats all tcase is, and its calibrated[by the mb makers, in some cases they just use another sensor to estimate] and not always accurate).

Intel has NEVER released a TJmax for the core2 cpus since they have a heat spreader. all the software does is try to be as close as they can(thats why some have a TJmax of 100, 85 and even 95 for realtemp).

When there is a heat spreader they pick a max temp at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader that should not be exceeded with the cpus thermal design power.

do not worry about it, you temps are fine

Pendergast

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I did it to see how much a core can go over Tcase to shut down. 34c is way too high for L2 stepping and 7c is way too low for M0. Now I finally see how it works. If we let Tjmax for L2 be 85c instead of the M0, and the M0 95c, we get these results:

85c - 61c = 24c - 5c = 19c -> L2 cores have to go 19c over tcase to shut down
95c - 73c = 22c - 5c = 17c -> M0 17c, that seems a lot more reasonable than the calculation in my previous post, see what I mean? Now, the steppings have a 12c Tcase difference between them and the cores have a 2c difference between them => M0 can clearly take more heat, which finally makes sense. That means, Tjmax for M0 is 95c, not 85c! (and 85c instead of 100c for L2, but that is irrelevant right now).

MUCH more reasonable, I think you see what I mean ;).
Btw, I know that my temps are fine, I knew from the beginning, I just want to know what the fu*k's going on so to speak. Thanks for the ideas.