Sign in with
Your question

Strange behavior of Hard Drive in my PC

Last response: in Storage
October 31, 2008 1:23:32 PM

Hi,
I am facing a strange problem from last few months. I have 2 HDD in my PC. Both from Seagate. The older one, around 3.5 yrs old now, I use for installing Windows XP. Its a 80GB SATA HDD. Sometimes it makes strange noise, and the hard drive spin ups & spins down.When I restart my PC, it does not detects the drive. The same symptoms continue after restart. Then if I take out the HDD, & gently tilt it upside down & back, and then put it back, it starts working.

My Configuration:
AMD Athlon64 2800+ (1.8GHz), 512MB DDR 400 RAM, MSI K8MM-V mobo, XFX GeForce 5200 (128 MB), 1x80 GB Seagate SATA HDD, 1x160GB Seagate SATA HDD, 1xSony DVD/CD writer combo, 300W PSU
a c 82 G Storage
October 31, 2008 1:41:22 PM

First I would make sure that the power connector, if required for that drive, is not loose (all pins have to be tight) as that can cause weird issues.

You try another cable and if that doesn't help, then my next question is "Do you plan on replacing that failing disk before or after it craps out completely?"
a b G Storage
October 31, 2008 1:51:31 PM

Use diagnostics from Seagate's website to check the drive for errors. You could also check for SMART errors on the drive.
!