jdee138

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
hey guys,

First time post so I would just like to say hi to all the tomshardware community.

Anyway..

I recently bought a XFX 8800GT to replace my Leadtek 7800GT that decided to die on me (but not fully I can still run the computer in safe mode and boot it). My problems is when I boot the computer with the new gfx card it will give me a bios beep that tells me there is a gfx card error (one long beep + 3 short beeps). Since updating my bios the computer will only boot sometimes, I can sit here for over an hour and a half (as I did last night) trying to get it started, either getting the gfx card error post beep or if I am truly lucky a healthy post beep and into windows. I tried the card on a mates computer and it worked perfectly every time. I am currently running a 500W Antec power supply, AMD duel core 4200+ (939), DFI lanparty NF4 Ultra-D, 2GB kingston ram, 500GB SATAII, 40GB and 120GB IDE hard drives, and a LG dvd burner. With my computer I have also tryed replacing the RAM and have tryed my computer with a spare 600W power supply and also resetting CMOS. Remember that the computer boots fine every time with the 7800GT. Do you think it is the mobo and newer gfx card conflicting?

Any help would be much appreciated I am going insane having to listen to bios beeps for hours!

Thanks

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
If that Antec PSU is over 3 years old it would be the problem...the capacitors are dieing.
Replace it befor it dies all the way or it may take out everything connected to it...it has happened to me many times.

I now only use PC Power & Cooling PSU's.
I have seven Optron 146 and DFI Expert MB's,G.Skill ddr1-500 ram on my LAN...all OC 950Mhz on stock volts.

Also did you remove the old video drivers befor trying to install the new card?

jdee138

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
yea I reformatted and installed the OS again. The PSU is about 7 months old. I have noticed it will boot 1st time if it is off over night, but if i restart it will give me the error. This isn't to much of an issue anymore as I will usually leave my computer on all day anyway. Thanks for the help.

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
If the 7800 is only booting in safe mode then the PSU is more than likely the culprit. The power draw on the 8800 is considerably larger so no wonder it's making a bigger fuss.

Routine,

"(My problems is when I boot the computer with the new gfx card it will give me a bios beep that tells me there is a gfx card error (one long beep + 3 short beeps),"

but make sure that you have all power connectors to the cards connected properly as I think booting to safe mode is a feature of Nvidia cards if the pc is started up and the GPU is under powered. It's a feature ATi have added as my pc did this when I installed my card and forgot to put the power cable in the back of it. Easy done especially if your excited about getting into some tests.

This may be a bit routine, but thoroughly check this because you'll stuff your graphics card if it's continually running under-powered. Some 8800's have a Y cable set-up with connection to 2 X 4pin molex connectors so if this is the case make sure you have both connectors leading to the 6 or 8 pin video card connector connected not just one.