Sign in with
Your question

Computer freezes and crashes while playing high end game...

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2007 4:47:00 AM

Hi,

I had my custom build for at least a year now. The computer runs great for many many days (when I do leave it on for a very long time). However, I have been encountering this problem for the past 6 months, and I might have pinned down the problem, but I would like to have a few other opinions on this, too.

What usually happens is that (and I have played these games exactly) I would play games like Company of Heroes, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and Warcraft 3, and for maybe 25-80 minutes the computer would suddenly freeze up (more specifically it would stop, the soundcard on the motherboard will start stuttering for a couple seconds), and then the system would crash, and restart (because I set it to restart on system failure). I don't think the CPU is the issue since it works to expectation when running almost anything (minus this issue), RAM is tested on memtest to work great. So I am thinking that it might be the video card that might be faulty.

Does anyone think I should ditch the video card and swap it out to hopefully remedy this symptom? Thanks in advance!
December 16, 2007 11:47:37 AM

List the specs.
December 16, 2007 12:41:48 PM

Bad card, High temps, bad PSU, or possibly bad drivers. Need more info.
Related resources
December 16, 2007 1:00:24 PM

I've had a few machines act like this. It's usually the PSU nearing it's end of life. Try stressing it with prime95, multiple copies if you have a dual/quad core cpu and see if it still fails.

You can also try running 3Dmark and see if it causes it to fail. If you think it's a heat problem, try playing games with the side cover off.
December 16, 2007 1:00:49 PM

Is the system overclocked in any way?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
December 16, 2007 2:23:33 PM

Not overclocked. I did take off the cover off my box at one point, and it did the same thing. It might be the PSU or the video card now that I think of it.

This is my power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

My video card has been discontinued. This is the title, though:
POWERCOLOR X800GTO256MBDDR3 Radeon X800GTO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

The temperature does not exceed 45C. The probe is set within the heatsink.
!