Computer freezes and crashes while playing high end game...

Hi,

I had my custom build for at least a year now. The computer runs great for many many days (when I do leave it on for a very long time). However, I have been encountering this problem for the past 6 months, and I might have pinned down the problem, but I would like to have a few other opinions on this, too.

What usually happens is that (and I have played these games exactly) I would play games like Company of Heroes, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and Warcraft 3, and for maybe 25-80 minutes the computer would suddenly freeze up (more specifically it would stop, the soundcard on the motherboard will start stuttering for a couple seconds), and then the system would crash, and restart (because I set it to restart on system failure). I don't think the CPU is the issue since it works to expectation when running almost anything (minus this issue), RAM is tested on memtest to work great. So I am thinking that it might be the video card that might be faulty.

Does anyone think I should ditch the video card and swap it out to hopefully remedy this symptom? Thanks in advance!
5 answers Last reply
More about computer freezes crashes playing high game
  1. List the specs.
  2. Bad card, High temps, bad PSU, or possibly bad drivers. Need more info.
  3. I've had a few machines act like this. It's usually the PSU nearing it's end of life. Try stressing it with prime95, multiple copies if you have a dual/quad core cpu and see if it still fails.

You can also try running 3Dmark and see if it causes it to fail. If you think it's a heat problem, try playing games with the side cover off.
  4. Is the system overclocked in any way?
  5. Not overclocked. I did take off the cover off my box at one point, and it did the same thing. It might be the PSU or the video card now that I think of it.

This is my power supply:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153039

My video card has been discontinued. This is the title, though:
    POWERCOLOR X800GTO256MBDDR3 Radeon X800GTO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

The temperature does not exceed 45C. The probe is set within the heatsink.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Games Systems