Corsair DHX no boot problem!!

frankmardel

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Attempting to upgrade RAM from 2gb to 4gb, but when the Corsair ram is connected monitor remains blank & LED continues to blink (versus the solid green when working). Normally at 5 seconds after power-on fans audibly slow & monitor turns on, but this does not occur when corsair ram is installed. Otherwise computer appears to be booting normally (all lights come on & recieve the 'windows didn't not shut down properly' message when I boot from original configuration).

Any help would be appreciated!

Test done:
*Default BIOS loaded, but ATA controller diver error occurred & had to use the recovery disc to fix... problem still persisted afterwards.
*Monitor works in original configuration after Corsair ram is removed.
*Unpluged monitor, dialog box appears with "No Connection".
*All configurations of the ram modules yeild the above result (2 Corsair, 1 Corsair module, 4 combined, etc.).

Replacement Ram: Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX (2x2 GB)

Original Setup...
RAM: A-Data ADQVE1A16K (2x1 GB)
Monitor: Dell CTR M570 (VGA)
CPU: Duo 2 Core Q6600
Video Card: nVidia 8800GT
Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E 650i
Power Supply: Thermaltake 750W

All current BIOS Memmory Timing Setting state all set to Auto.

kentuckyranger

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
The reason has to do with Vista 64bit, Bill Gates didn't include the drivers to support larger memory.

What you have to do is boot with 2GIG then go here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

After you download the drivers you must re-start your system, then shut down and add the extra RAM.

This should solve your RAM problem. If it doesn't then it might be defective RAM.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

P.S. I also saw where you have 2 sticks of 2GIG RAM, are you staggering them? When you place RAM they must be grouped together with the same color Sockets. Most M/Boards stagger this configuration i.e. 1-3, 2-4 are matched pairs. If you try to instal say 2 Sticks in 1-2 you'll get errors, same if you try installing them in say 1-4 or 3-4. They will work in 2-4 because those Sockets are paired together.
Just a thought...