Twas the night before Christmas.... and I am befuddled

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
Ok people, I've got a problem. Last night while Xmas shopping at Target I came across Battle for Middle Earth 2 for 10 dollars....what I steal I thought since turs out it is the non-dvd version ( like 6 disks omg) and I cannot for the life of me get it to run. I first installed it and when I went to run it is gave me a game.dat error. So I updated my drivers to the non-beta Dec 19th drivers ( nvidia ) and still no luck, then I re-installed. Same problem. Every time, the game looks like it is going to load then it gives me the error, I cannot even get to the main menu. I have done some research on this error, and alot is fuzzy. Does BFME2 even support the 8800GTX? Are there any drivers that work with it? Is there a way to fix this error? Does overclocking effect the error? (somebody mentioned this in a forum somwhere.) Anybody out there that can play BFME2 PLEASE w/ an 8800GTX please tell me what drivers you are using etc. thank you, my Xmas depends on it!

Specs: 8800GTX, E6600 @3.4Ghz, 680i Mobo, X-fi Fatality, 600W Zalman, 2GB mushkin

kolix

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
uh, it sounds to me like the game.dat file is corrupt

----
(psst, some games check for cd emulation software)

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I'd first try reinstalling it. If it's Vista, I'd try running it in compatibility mode or searching online to see if anyone else has had issues running the game in Vista. If you are running it in XP, I'd Google the issue and see if you find anything, maybe even try the official forums for the game. If all else fails you can return it and get another copy, or download the game since you already bought it and see if the downloaded copy works (I had to do this with BF2, because the disks would not read in my computer or my laptop). Those are my suggestions, if you know someone that has it, you can try to borrow it from them and see if their copy installs on your machine, that way you can narrow down if it's your copy or your machine. I hope this helps.

SyphenX

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Lucky I read this thread..

I got the exact fix for your problem (MAYBE, cause it worked for me), because I had the exact same thing happened to me as well. What you have to do is when you load the game, make sure you have your Task Manager (processes tab) up and running. When you see the game pop-up in there, right click on it and go to the set affinity selection and uncheck the Core 1 check box. The game might load up in time if you do it fast enough, otherwise wait for it to error out or just end the process, then reload. There you go! Should be fixed! If not...then I don't know what to tell you cause I tried everything other than this, and then it finally fixed it. Hope this helps.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Annismans, ive had these same problem! i know your feelings

I bought the EA Strat pack for 20$ steal of a deal!? 5 games 20$ only TO FIND OUT THAT 2 GAMES ACTUALLY WORK! (Black & white 2 that would be and the B&W Expansion)

I had a 8800GTX and Vista same as you after hours and days and weeks of nothing and getting the game.dat error searching google countless times heres what i found.

NOTHING!

So what i did? to fix the problem, and potenially fix yours?

Delete the Folder Game.Dat is in.

and Volia! it works. dear god it took me weeks to figure that out.. all i had to do was delete it...

I hope that helps you, IT IS NOT VISTA, IT IS NOT 8800GTX,

IT IS EA BECAUSE E4SUX5

TRENDING THREADS