Cannot upload data to RAID0 array without failure

lostinnull

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I've been running a RAID0 array using a Silicon Image Sil 3114 SATA Controller and 2 SATA Hitachi 500GB drives for about 5 weeks now. I have 2 striped groups between both of the drives. The main group is 890GB (NTFS with about 150GB stored) and the other is 40GB(unformatted, unused space), both striped (RAID0) no mirroring.

Now here in lies the problem. I was running a Torrent program overnight and checked the progress of the downloads the following day (15 hours between checks). When I checked everything, there was an error message in the downloader saying that there was no media to download to. So I checked the RAID manager and one of the striped groups in my 890GB group had failed. Error Message: RAID group/Path/Target 1:1:0, Sense Data 70:00:0b:00:0 (ScsiError) The controller is SATA but Windows recognizes it as Scsi for RAIDing purposes. Now this is where it gets hairy. The entire drive did not fail, just the part of it hosting the larger striped group. I know this because the smaller 40GB striped group is still functional (and it is shared between the same 2 drives).

Now after troubleshooting this for a minute here's what I've come up with.
1. If the drive hosting the bad stripe group is physically unplugged/plugged back in, it will reset and everything works.
2. I can download files from the 890GB srtipe group without error, however when trying to upload, the group fails.
3. The problem is not with the physical drive, because the RAID manager program has showed that the stripe has failed out on both drives, on seperate occasions.
4. I've formatted the second stripe group (40GB NTFS) and can do everything without a problem (upload/download) so it has something to do with the actual 890GB RAID group.
5.All devices (SATA Controller/Drives) show no driver errors in the device manager.

If anyone thinks they have any input for a cause/reason/fix to this, please share.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Thats what you get for downloading illegal stuff. Don't event try to say what you are doing is legal, cause we are not buying it.

First off your having trouble getting your free software, then you expect free tech support???

Get a job and a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

And you became the thought police when? I'm sure that this has really helped the OP and he feels suitably punished to turn away from his life of crime!

Get a job and a life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fou:

gaspah

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
bunch of wankers. Who gives a crap what this person is using their PC for. Do you think that you have been helpful to perhaps the people who have googled their error in order to research their problem.. like say me. just wanted a bit of background information regarding this Silicon Image controller before I assume its a hardware fault with the HDD and open this girl up and start dickin about. Get your head out of your asses.