Sign in with
Your question

Pixelview 8500GT 512MB Freeze????

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 24, 2007 4:33:44 AM

I have an AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400++, Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2, Pixelview 8500GT 512MB, PSU simbadda 530w and 2gb ram. I have been experiencing my monitor freezing for sometimes and it wents hang when i played Crysis,Rising Force,etc (anything intensive). so i need to push the reset button to restart the computer, i have using the latest forceware 169.21, does anyone knows what happen to my computer?

Thanks
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2007 5:03:19 AM

Well an 8500GT is hardly a card capable of playing crysis well, but that's not what this is about. I have no idea about the quality of that PSU, but being a 530W, it should be able to run that system even if it isn't a decent 530W. It is possible that the PSU is on it's way to the grave though. More likely is that your RAM is bad. Run memtest86 for a couple of hours to check for errors. If anything shows up, then you have a problem.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2007 5:03:54 AM

we need complete sys specs. your psu might not supply enough power. try a few hours of orthos and see if the cpu is stable. if it passes that, try something like the artifact test in atitool to stress the gpu.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2007 5:06:56 AM

sorry, missed the psu in your post. yeah, it should be good enough. as long as it isn't defective. try randomizer's suggestion too.
December 24, 2007 5:17:58 AM

To nvalhalla : Thanks anyway
-------------------------
To randomizer : I just bought the CPU and PSU not more than 1 weeks, now i am trying the memtest86.
December 24, 2007 5:25:11 AM

have you checked your card temps?
December 24, 2007 5:33:06 AM

You know, the PSU is questionable. What are the rated amps? Also, the 8500 line is s*** for playing games.
December 24, 2007 6:30:59 AM

To vartok : yes,the vga temperature its about 57-63 C
-----------------------------------------------------
To PCKid777 : I didnt know how much is the rated amps but on the box it writes Simbadda Power Supply 530W 24pin, sata.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2007 6:56:03 AM

PCKid777 said:
You know, the PSU is questionable. What are the rated amps?
For an 8500GT it shouldn't matter. It's unlikely to be a high power unit, but it doesn't need to be.

PCKid777 said:
Also, the 8500 line is s*** for playing games.

That's not what this thread is about.

Wen'Z how is memtest going?
December 24, 2007 9:04:53 AM

to randomizer : i tried the memtest but it doesn't show any error!now i am trying to download the latest driver that is ForceWare 169.28..
December 24, 2007 9:39:49 AM

does the videocard have any external power connectors? if so are they plugged in?, also what res/size monitor are you using? and what settings?

also. it seems your new here, if you haven't noticed theres an actions tab at the top of each post, the speech bubble one quotes the persons message, so theres no need to address each message to the poster.
December 24, 2007 11:18:32 AM

From the system specs all i could think of is the fact that it isn't freezing rather you're just experiencing massive amounts of FPS lag.

I have a friend who thought his computer was broken because his "top of the line" 8600GS wouldn't run Crysis properly at max. detail, could be a similar problem.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2007 2:18:02 PM

So quantum, what your saying is it hasn't actually frozen, it's just taking it's time rendering the next frame in Crysis? And to give it a few minutes before hitting reset. ;) 

To the OP, your temps are fine. COuld be the PSU if it's a low quality (unclean) one. Can you play any 3d games at all or does it lock up on all of them? Can you run through 3dmark05 without it locking up?

Have you tried other driver versions? Have you tried to relax memory timings? Have you tried just one stick of RAM instead of two in dual channel? Boost memory voltages up one tiny notch?

Any chance of testing another card in your rig and your card in another rig? (swap with a friend for testing to see if it's the Graphics card or the just computer)

There is so much it could be. I'd start with one stick of ram. Try different drivers video/sound/chipset drivers and if possible do the card swap with another machine to eliminate the card or amchine as the problem.
December 24, 2007 3:01:11 PM

I have an 8500 GT any thing more then 800x600 on low for Crysis looks like crap and will cause a slide show.
December 24, 2007 7:17:47 PM

i would recommend getting a new graphics card anything from the 8800 series or the 38#0 series would do i upgraded from an 8500gt to what i have now and it has been running sweet going to get crysis tommorow to see what its like.
December 24, 2007 8:42:58 PM

randomizer said:
For an 8500GT it shouldn't matter. It's unlikely to be a high power unit, but it doesn't need to be.

That's not what this thread is about.

Wen'Z how is memtest going?

What MrsBytch said. If the OP is having issues trying to play system-taxing games, it could be possible that the GPU is seriously bottlenecking the PC and momentarily "freezing" the computer.
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2007 11:11:41 PM

I agree. OP, what settings do you run the game at? (Including resolution)
December 25, 2007 5:02:27 AM

randomizer said:
I agree. OP, what settings do you run the game at? (Including resolution)
I am running at medium details and my resolution is 1680*1050.
December 25, 2007 5:08:50 AM

pauldh said:
So quantum, what your saying is it hasn't actually frozen, it's just taking it's time rendering the next frame in Crysis? And to give it a few minutes before hitting reset. ;) 

To the OP, your temps are fine. COuld be the PSU if it's a low quality (unclean) one. Can you play any 3d games at all or does it lock up on all of them? Can you run through 3dmark05 without it locking up?

Have you tried other driver versions? Have you tried to relax memory timings? Have you tried just one stick of RAM instead of two in dual channel? Boost memory voltages up one tiny notch?

Any chance of testing another card in your rig and your card in another rig? (swap with a friend for testing to see if it's the Graphics card or the just computer)

There is so much it could be. I'd start with one stick of ram. Try different drivers video/sound/chipset drivers and if possible do the card swap with another machine to eliminate the card or amchine as the problem.

i am trying to run 3dmark05 now, i have tried installing different driver which is forceware 169.21 and 169.28 but it seems nothing changes. it still freeze..i have an onboard VGA card, when i switched to that VGA card it seems all running clear!i think the problem happens when i played 3d games only!
December 25, 2007 7:45:51 AM

I have tried the 3dMark but it freeze in the second test, when it shows the jungle part..i think when playing 3d it will freeze..but i will try to go to the store where i buy that vga card to ask about it..anyway thx to all of you for your help!
December 25, 2007 5:14:35 PM

That definitely sounds like a GPU problem then. If the onboard GPU can run without freezing, then most likley A) Your 8500GT is overheating under 3D stress (i.e. not enough thermal paste or too much - though unlikely it is overheating) or B) the GPU chip is defective/faulty.

Probably best to exchange it or if possible, get a refund and upgrade to at LEAST an 8600GT....
December 26, 2007 6:52:33 AM

i have changed my vga card into ASUS EN8600GT Silent 256GB GDDR3, i have tried using 3Dmark and it works, when i check to the shop the people said maybe the VGA card is broken or is not compatible with my motherboard, but the GPU temperature of ASUS EN8600GT Silent 256GB GDDR3 is between 45-73 celcius, when i was using 8500GT the maximum temperature is only 63 celcius, is something wrong and does that temperature still okay?thanks
November 30, 2008 4:36:30 AM

I have similar experience too with my Pixelview 8500GT when playing (from most to less frequent): NFS Most Wanted, COD 4 Modern Warfare, COD 3, Medieval Total War 2.
Back to history, Ive been played those games without any problem since 2007 (2006 for MTW2) until last Sept with my previous ASUS 8400GS 256Mb. Since it still under warranty, I returned it to store where I buy.
Waiting too long, I bought the Pixelview 8500GT 512Mb, format my hardisk and reinstall all, and bought new Kingstone 1Mb.
It is OK in beginning until November, the game freeze after playing NFSMW 10-15 minutes.
Got news from the store, that since the ASUS 8400GS 256Mb no longer available, my card will be replace with ASUS EAH3450/HTP/256M (ATI Radeon).
Yesterday 29/11/08, I played NFSMW with that ATI Radeon for 1 hour and nothing happened !

Anyone can explain ?
Intel Pentium 4 2.93GHz. 2x1GB RAM KVR667D2S5 (one is new),
CPU/VGA Card Temperature 37-45 C, New PSU 500W, Monitor LCD TV 26", MB ASUS P5LD2 MV SE,
!