Sign in with
Your question

Help a newb building his PC =)

Last response: in Systems
December 16, 2007 12:10:33 PM

Good afternoon,
I have got a few questions about my new gaming rig.

I'm planning to build a good budget/performance computer, I need some advice on the power supply and other parts. Feel free to comment my choices as i'd probably learn from it.
I don't know how much power my power supply need, i calculated it somehow with a website, and it said about 400 watt. I've sawn few power supplies which looked good but I don't know if this is enough for the whole system etc.
Please help this newb :) 

Processor: Q6600 2.4ghz G0 stepping $280,-

Mobo: Msi P35 Neo FR (dont need firewire, and don't know if it should be helpfull) $120,-

Ram: I don't have an idea, but I'm looking for a good budget deal. Was thinking about GEIL Black Dragon ddr2 800mhz cas 12 2x1gb
I've seen G-Skill ram for $47,- and I'm buying 2x1gb

Graphics Card: EVGA or an XFX 8800GTS 512mb (I know it's overpriced but it still is a nice deal here, my dad has a GTX and that is just waste of money... $360,-

Case: Thermaltake Armor Va 8000BWS Full Tower $130

I'll get HDD's and DVDRW+- myself, what brand for the DVDRW? And how much storage do I actually need with downloading music videos dvd's etc. I'll get 2 Sata's anyway... but I was thinking will 2x 320gb be enough? or should I make it 160gb and 500gb? I guess so the other one will be put windows on and some other stuff like photoshop and music. The Second one dvd's and games.

Also, will the 16mb cache have a big effect? Please fill me in.

Should the DVDRW also be sata?

And last question, how much power will it take and what kind of powersupply will I need for this system? I don't mind having a good headroom, as there will be a soundcard , printer, mouse and keyboard, few fans, good videocard, overclocked q6600 , and overclocked ram in the system probably.

Feel free to leave comments :) 
Thanks in regard,
Kevin

More about : newb building

December 16, 2007 12:38:42 PM

radium69 said:
Good afternoon,

Processor: Q6600 2.4ghz G0 stepping $280,-

This is a good choice, but if you are only gaming, you may consider the E6750 C2D, as there are very few games that can utilize more than two cores.

radium69 said:

Mobo: Msi P35 Neo FR (dont need firewire, and don't know if it should be helpfull) $120,-

I like this mobo choice.

radium69 said:

Ram: I don't have an idea, but I'm looking for a good budget deal. Was thinking about GEIL Black Dragon ddr2 800mhz cas 12 2x1gb
I've seen G-Skill ram for $47,- and I'm buying 2x1gb

I have read great things about the GEIL Black Dragon, but I have not been able to find any. If you find some let me know. I'm going to use Crucial Ballistix 2x1gb for my build.

radium69 said:

Graphics Card: EVGA or an XFX 8800GTS 512mb (I know it's overpriced but it still is a nice deal here, my dad has a GTX and that is just waste of money... $360,-

Go with the 8800GT instead. It is newer, better, and a bit cheaper.

radium69 said:

And last question, how much power will it take and what kind of powersupply will I need for this system?

I'm no expert here, but I like the PC Power & Cooling Silencer. They are cheap and very efficient. I would go with the 750W Quad for this system.
!