Striker II Formula/Q6600 Stuck/Plz Hlp

seribusx

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
So I've been pulling out hair looking over forums and Youtube for the past few days and I cant seem to get the voltages right. I have defaulted to using the general 10% overclock option in the bios and cannot seem to get the board to go over the 2.67 mark. This is my set up:

Striker II Formula, Q6600 @2.67
Cosair Dom 1066x4gb Palit 9600gt x2 SLI
750GB Samsumg F1
Tunia aircooler120mm
1000W Cooler Master
Vista 64 Home Baisc

I know that there are a million references to this type of topic, but I would really appreciate a detailed/step by step or screenshot look at how to set my particular bios to a nice secure level (at least 3.0, but hopefully 3.6). A explanation on how to set up the memory would also be sweet. As you can tell im a noob when it comes to this, but I would truly appreciate any direction and help in this.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Good luck on that.

When it comes to overclocking it's all about research and experience. Write down the BIOS settings you don't know and Google them. Read up on what everything does and how it effects stability. The more you know the safer your overclock will be and the easier it will be in the future to get to where you want to be. No 2 systems, regardless of components, are exactly the same so someone might have the exact system you have and need slightly different settings to reach the same end result.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
As always with overclocking YMMV. If you fry anything it's on you.

Q6600 @ 3.0GHz : BIOS : Extreme Tweaker
settings :
AI Overclock Tuner = Manual

Vcore = 1.3V - 1.35V (should run with less but this is a safe bet)
FSB Memory clock mode = Unlinked
FSB = 333MHz, RAM = 533MHz
actual FSB (QP) 1333MHz, actual RAM (DDR) 1066MHz
RAM voltage 2.1V, RAM timings 5-5-5-15

If this doesn't work try
FSB:RAM Linked, ratio 1:1

@ausch30
For 333MHz FSB only the Q6600 will be overclocked. Unless he got a bum chip (which I doubt) everything else should be at stock values. My bet is he's overclocking RAM at stock voltage and that's causing the instabilities/post issues.
The defaulting to 10% statement makes me think he's using the AI OC tools anyway so he's not ready for googling BIOS settings yet. :)

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

I agree that it shouldn't be that difficult to reach the speeds he wants but it's always better to know what your doing before you go messing around in the BIOS. The 790i is a little trickier to overclock especially with quads than an Intel chipset.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
^True. But until you start overclocking the motherboard things should go just as smoothly. It does however require more voltage and that's a chipkiller.

seribusx

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
OK, so i tried Andrius' advice and I am still unable to get past the Vista load screen. I get the blue screen of death. Some dumb questions I have in the bios are:

1) Does VCORE = CPU Voltage, I assumed so and that is what I am changing in the overvoltage from auto to 1.3v-1.35v (yes I tried each of the voltages in between and still no go.
2) Does Ram volt = Memory Voltage, again what I changed to 2.1v in the bios.
3) I unlinked the cpu/memory and changed the FSB (QDR) to 1333 and the Mem (DDR) to 1066 to no avail.
4) I changed the timming on the memory to the 5-5-5-15 2T, should I leave the command per clock at auto or change it to 2T?

I am still doing research, but any more help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Yes VCORE is your CPU voltage and leave your RAM at it's specified settings and unlocked and the board will figure out the multiplier. Don't jump straight to 1333FSB, you need to go step by step checking for stability along the way.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Leave FSB:RAM at Unlinked and everything else for Memory on Auto (for now).

Use CPU-Z to monitor current CPU voltage.
The values of 1.30V-1.35V are Prime95 LOAD voltages in OS (not in BIOS).
They Include Vdrop and Vdroop so make sure you are getting atleast 1.300V for "Core Voltage" in CPU-Z. You can also use CPUID HW Monitor.

As always make sure you research settings before trying them.