Dec 16, 2007
Hey.

I'm going to upgrade my old system,
Antec sonata piano black 380W
Abit NF7-S motherboard
AMD AthlonXP 2500+ Barton
2x 256 Mt, 333 MHz DDR
Radeon 9600 Pro,
and I was thinking about buying an Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 motherboard, an Intel Dual Core E2140 1.6GHz tray processor and a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro cooler. Also, 2x1Gb DDR2 memory. I'm also thinking about overclocking the processor to about 2,5... so I was wondering if my current power is enough for all this?
Thanks a lot for answering.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Personally man, I would get a new PSU. Myself, I had a 400 watt Ultra X-connect PSU when I built my new rig, and reused it. About a month later I started having mobo problems, and voltage drops on the PSU. Ended up RMAing the board and getting a new PSU.

trevorblain

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Ditto grad's suggestion. especially if you plan on overclocking, you will need a steady supply of power. more power will also be appreciated later should you decide to upgrade that video card. You can have my old 9800 pro if you don't mind driving to Wisconsin to pick it up :D .

kalaperse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Ditto grad's suggestion. especially if you plan on overclocking, you will need a steady supply of power. more power will also be appreciated later should you decide to upgrade that video card. You can have my old 9800 pro if you don't mind driving to Wisconsin to pick it up :D .
Haha, it will be a long drive from Finland... ;)
What PSU would you guys suggest? Closer to 500w? Or is 450W enough? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
From what I am seeing lately, seems like the amps on the 12+ volt rail are the most important thing. Check around the forums, there are links to a page that will tell you the best ones to get.

tlmck

Distinguished
Actually if that is a newer Sonata case with an Earthwatts PSU, you should be fine. If it is one of the older Smart Power or even True Power models, then yes I would upgrade to a newer Earthwatts 380. They are good steady supplies.

If you wanted to upgrade the video to one of the new high end cards, i would go with the 430 or even 500w models.

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006

poor board you can get a better amd cpu / board for the same price.

aslo the pci-e slot may only run at x4 speed.

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The board is fine, it is also the only DDR1 and DDR2 board with both PCI-E and AGP out there for core2duos and quads. It's a great step-up board for upgrading, and it can get a decent small overclock out of CPU. The power supply should be fine, as your AthlonXP draws more power then the E2140, even when overclocked. The cooler is a great budget overclocking solution also.

kalaperse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Wow, you guys have been really helpful. I have heard that if the PSU isn't powerful enough, it can damage the motherboard if it breaks. Is this true? I have seriously considered buying an OCZ StealthXStream 500W PSUhttp://www.ocztechnology.com/products/power_management/ocz_500w_stealthxstream_power_supply, but do you think that it's a little over the top? It could be good considering future updates since I can get it for about 50 euros. Ay new suggestions welcome though.

Well i have tested that psu's overload protection :)

8800GTX was just a little too much....it ran for a while then just shut it self off.....i mark that as a good thing(since it did just what its supposed to do...)....

tlmck

Distinguished

The OCZ is a good unit also.