Can't delete even at the comand prompt.

Lawrence,

Thank you for your excellent suggestion. Unfortunately I had tried
this before I posted my original question. I forgot what a pain DOS
can be until I had to type in the identitiy folder name, all 38
charaters with out a typo. As I am sure you can see, typing is not my
strong suit.

Anyway back to the problem. Even in safe mode with comand prompt, I
get "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)" when I try to delete the
file and the file does not delete. I tried renaming the file and the
system will not let me. I tryed moving it out of the folder, again the
system will not let me. I ran the DOS CHKDSK to see if it could fix
the problems to no avail. Out of desperation I defraged the disc. Hey
you never know!

One peice of data I believe I left off the original post is that I am
running XP-SP2 and OE 6 (since that is the program with the corrupted
file)

Again Thank you for your suggestion I think it was a good on but I
still can not get delete the file. Any other thoughts

Thanks

Andy

--
odea56
2 answers Last reply

    There used to be a deltree type command in dos, maybe that would help
    (reference stated says use rmdir command, but be careful here). There was
    once a situation where you had to copy the name of the file and paste that
    to the del command because of some hidden characters, but I don't remember
    how to do that.

    Are you running an NTFS file system? Have you checked its attributes. If
    you have, maybe making it read only and then back to not read only would
    help. Could the setting for the folder be effecting the files in it.

    I never saw the name of the file, but I suppose you have searched for it to
    see what it might be. If it is tied to a service, it might show up in
    dependencies. Did you try removing it using the recovery console?

    And I think I saw you cover this, but you are the "REAL" administrator and
    not just an admin user?

    Is the file listed in the registry?

    Clark

    "odea56" <odea56.1sjmdm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Lawrence,
    >
    > Thank you for your excellent suggestion. Unfortunately I had tried
    > this before I posted my original question. I forgot what a pain DOS
    > can be until I had to type in the identitiy folder name, all 38
    > charaters with out a typo. As I am sure you can see, typing is not my
    > strong suit.
    >
    > Anyway back to the problem. Even in safe mode with comand prompt, I
    > get "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)" when I try to delete the
    > file and the file does not delete. I tried renaming the file and the
    > system will not let me. I tryed moving it out of the folder, again the
    > system will not let me. I ran the DOS CHKDSK to see if it could fix
    > the problems to no avail. Out of desperation I defraged the disc. Hey
    > you never know!
    >
    > One peice of data I believe I left off the original post is that I am
    > running XP-SP2 and OE 6 (since that is the program with the corrupted
    > file)
    >
    > Again Thank you for your suggestion I think it was a good on but I
    > still can not get delete the file. Any other thoughts
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Andy
    >

    > --
    > odea56

    Hi, Clark - and Andy.

    The former deltree command is gone, but good ol' rd (or rmdir, either way,
    it stands for Remove Directory) is still available and does the same job.

    If you can't move the bad file out of the directory, then move everything
    you want to keep out of that directory - and all its subdirectories. When
    you are sure nothing you want to keep is still there, use the command like
    this:

    rd <foldername> /s

    It won't work on a folder unless it is empty - unless you use the /s switch,
    which removes the folder and all files and subfolders within it.

    As always in a "DOS" window, type the command plus /? to see a mini-Help
    file showing the switches available with it: rd /?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
    > There used to be a deltree type command in dos, maybe that would help
    > (reference stated says use rmdir command, but be careful here). There was
    > once a situation where you had to copy the name of the file and paste that
    > to the del command because of some hidden characters, but I don't remember
    > how to do that.
    >
    > Are you running an NTFS file system? Have you checked its attributes. If
    > you have, maybe making it read only and then back to not read only would
    > help. Could the setting for the folder be effecting the files in it.
    >
    > I never saw the name of the file, but I suppose you have searched for it
    > to see what it might be. If it is tied to a service, it might show up in
    > dependencies. Did you try removing it using the recovery console?
    >
    > And I think I saw you cover this, but you are the "REAL" administrator and
    > not just an admin user?
    >
    > Is the file listed in the registry?
    >
    > Clark
    >
    > "odea56" <odea56.1sjmdm@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Lawrence,
    >>
    >> Thank you for your excellent suggestion. Unfortunately I had tried
    >> this before I posted my original question. I forgot what a pain DOS
    >> can be until I had to type in the identitiy folder name, all 38
    >> charaters with out a typo. As I am sure you can see, typing is not my
    >> strong suit.
    >>
    >> Anyway back to the problem. Even in safe mode with comand prompt, I
    >> get "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check)" when I try to delete the
    >> file and the file does not delete. I tried renaming the file and the
    >> system will not let me. I tryed moving it out of the folder, again the
    >> system will not let me. I ran the DOS CHKDSK to see if it could fix
    >> the problems to no avail. Out of desperation I defraged the disc. Hey
    >> you never know!
    >>
    >> One peice of data I believe I left off the original post is that I am
    >> running XP-SP2 and OE 6 (since that is the program with the corrupted
    >> file)
    >>
    >> Again Thank you for your suggestion I think it was a good on but I
    >> still can not get delete the file. Any other thoughts
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Andy
    >>

    >> --
    >> odea56