jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Hey guys,

I just got my first system built. The CPU is a Q6600 with the stock cooler and arctic silver 5. All four cores are at around 50 Celsius within the operating system, on the internet, etc.

I ran prime 95 and core temp, and each of the cores displayed a slightly different reading. The hottest one got to 73 C. As I understand it, 80 C is the upper limit for individual core temps.

This being said, I've read on the arctic silver packaging that it takes a bit over a week (200 hours) for it to become fully activated. During that time, according to the instructions, one can expect between 2 and 5 C lower temps.

All this taken into consideration, how do these numbers look?

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
The case is micro ATX, and the airflow is good on the side with the GFX card (8800GT running 59 C max), but is a bit cramped on the side with the Q6600. I installed the heat sink before I mounted the motherboard. I used arctic silver 5 as per the directions. It is a stock heat sink.

I did notice that when I removed the pre-applied intel thermal stuff from the stock heat sink, with arctic clean 1, it left some micro-fine scratches in the heat sink. It feels smooth to the touch, but, again, some very, very fine scratching. This is not something that I imagine would impact performance.

I could jerry-rig an exhaust fan next to the CPU heatsink to improve air flow...you think that would be a logical first step?

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
That's for the CPU as a whole...I believe it's the Tjunction? The temp at the die. That is limited to 71C for G0. 75C is a good number to stay below for the individual cores...80 being an upper limit. Personally, I'm trying to stay below 70 at the cores. I'm going to try to rig up an exhaust system on that side of the case, as the airflow on that side is very limited. That should improve things by quite a bit.

Micro ATX blows, FYI.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

For a stock cooler that's not horrible.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Until the Antec 900 (I have 1) came out I was a big fanboy of the Antec Super Lanboy (I have 3).
The Lanboy has 1 12cm fan in front and 1 12cm fan blowing hot air out of the case in the back.
Now the Antec 900, oh my it's got lots of 12cm fans and a 20cm fan too.
Basic, if it's air cooled it needs air flow.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Yeah, I heard that. This machine was a rebuild of my brother's Falcon Northwest Fragbox. In a month, when the 9450 comes out, I'll be picking up an Antec 900. After working with the fragbox (it took me over 7 hours to get everything uninstalled and the new stuff reinstalled), I will NEVER, NEVER EVER get a micro ATX case.

All things considered, though, it's running pretty cool for how much stuff he has in there (ie: 8800GT and the Q6600). The side of the case with the 8800GT is actually pretty open, and has two slot fans that I installed. I haven't seen the 8800 get above 69 running the latest games on max settings. 59 is more the norm.

The side with the CPU, though, is a little cramped. I'll see how far I can push it. I might get another fan to stick on that side, but for now the hottest core under full load is well below 80, so I'm content. Plus, I just finished this install last night, and arctic silver said to wait about a week for full effectiveness, so I might luck out.

Have you fitted a stock 775 heatsink before? check to make sure all of the legs are secure, the board may (will probably in fact) warp a little. They are a right sod to fit, but poor contact will make temps significantly higher than they should be.

uhdna

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007

They look Bloody HOT I am running a Q6600 at 31,28,24,27 stock speed. Have had up to 3.2GHZ and the temps only went up to 39c. Dump the sotck cooler. A good friend of mine always advised to drop them. They are only ever any good if your heatsink and fan dies. Then you can still run while you buy a new one.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
This isn't my computer, so I'm really not all that concerned about it. It was a micro ATX rebuild for my brother, and there is no way I'm taking that thing apart again, unless there is a serious problem. He is more than happy with stock performance. If I can squeeze a little bit more out of it, then so be it, but if not, oh well.