100Mhz or RAM timings?

Vortec

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Hey everyone.

I'm a little new to over clocking and don't do much of it but I'm wondering are a couple higher ram timings worth an extra ~100Mhz out of a CPU? I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Winchester socket 939 - i know, old these days) @ 2.29 ~ 2.3Ghz solid(with RAM timings now at 3-3-3-6 @ ~2.7V) from the original stock speed of 2.0Ghz. Originally my RAM timing at stock speeds are 2.5-3-3-6 @ ~2.6V. However when I bump the core frequency up over 229 in the BIOS it automatically sets my ram timings up a couple notches...I can't recall the exact numbers right now but they're something like 4-4-7-8(?). I know those aren't exactly right but I believe it reads something like that. Anyway, would it be worth it to try to get it up to 2.4Ghz but sacrifice RAM timings? I do a little gaming - not too much though. Your comments and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------
Mobo: Epox 9npa+ultra nvida nForce 4
Memory: 2x1GB(2GB) G.Skill PC3200 DDR @ 429FSB

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
for only about 100Mhz of cpu speed, i don't think it's worth loosening up the ram timings. you won't see a noticeable gain in performance anyhow. IMO, keep the tighter timings at your current clock speed

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
The way I do mine is I change the RAM settings at stock from 'Auto' to "User Define' This gives me the stock timings locked in.

Im not sure how much your RAM will take in terms of OC, but if there the same G.Skill sticks I have, your pretty close to the ceiling at DDR429.

Vortec

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Thanks for the information guys. I think I'm gonna keep it at these settings as suggested. I found where I can adjust each individual timing in the BIOS and could probably get a little more out of it but I really don't feel comfortable messing around with them too much right now.

Im not sure how much your RAM will take in terms of OC, but if there the same G.Skill sticks I have, your pretty close to the ceiling at DDR429.

These are the G.Skill sticks I have and you're probably right about almost hitting the ceiling there...at least without a bunch of modifications and adjustments to the timing and voltage settings.

Vortec

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Does lowering the multiplier on HyperTransport have anything to do with ram timings?

So I've upgraded to my processor since it was only $39.99 off newegg and I knew I would at least get near 2.8GHz our of it instead of it's stock 2.4GHz. Anyway, I'm over clocking an AMD Athlon 64 4000+ from 2.4Ghz to approximately 2.750Ghz...with a a Hypertransport speed of 1145GHz - all of which seems stable thus far under Prime 95 (~2 hour test). I'm doing this by just setting the core frequency of the CPU to 229x12 instead of 200x12. However, I was wondering if by lower the HT multiplier so that it stays closer to the standard 1000Mhz mark if that would allow me to get better(lower) RAM timings at a higher CPU frequency? Example: (HT)4x250(CPU frequency) which would put the CPU at 3.0Ghz 12x250. Now I realize that I most likely couldn't get that or even near that with this memory but I would just like to know if a lower HT multiplier would result in better ram timings while bumping up CPU core freq. Hopefully that is clear. Any comments or input is appreciated. Thanks.