HD – Correct & proper way to partition in XP & Vista ?

craige4u

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I have been partitioning for years now from the OS (XP) at clean install….

I boot from the OS CD and from there during setup, I create the required partition and Hit the format button to format and install fresh OS…..

Now, there’s same option to do in vista as well…

So is this the best way and I should continue using the same method?

I am asking this as many people say it’s better to use dedicated partitioning software... Examples like – partition magic

What you all say…?

Winly

Distinguished
with dedicated partitioning programs you actually get more features and way more options to partition your hard drive. but both methods are good, if they do what you asked to do. i just prefer PartitionMagic because it has features that i like and tools to check my hard drive, but its just me.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
if what you are/have been using works and produces no later on snafu's go for it.
personally i am old fashioned in that i create the primary/active partition reboot and ,, then the extended partition and the logical drives all from dos,i then use windoze to do the formatting,quick,my setup might be considered a little weird as i create partitions for the swapfile,never have to defrag it ,,and one for my norton ghosts and i do not use ntfs unless absolutely necessary,the mft takes up way too much space and renders the ntfs somewhat slower than fat 32,in short if it works don't fix it,tweek it..:)