• Hard Drives
  • BIOS
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
November 2, 2008 3:17:03 PM

Hello all,
(Sorry for my bad english writing)
My new, 3 month old, C-drive crashed. It is not recognized any more in bios. When starting up I hear it spinning up and then it starts to tick for a couple of seconds and spins down. All my other drives are still recognized. I installed an other drive on the cables of my defective drive to make sure cables are OK >> they are. I installed OS on this spare drive.
Allmost all my important data is saved by back-up but I miss some important e-mails and some other data. Can it be recovered???
BIOS: latest version
Defective drive: Samsung HD642JJ (640 GB) / SATA II

Thanks for your reply
Eric

More about : hdd dead recognized bios ticks startup

November 2, 2008 3:40:15 PM

The sound you hear is quite common for a dying harddrive so theres a good chance that this is the case.

However I do have some advise for you if you need to recover any lost date on it. I know this may sound strange but go and place the harddrive in a ziplock bag and make sure that its fully sealed. Put the harddrive in your freezer for a hour and take it out and quickly put it back in the computer (a open case makes this a easier job) This will allow you for a limited time to use the harddrive and recover lost data.

I know it sounds odd but it really does work.
November 2, 2008 3:59:23 PM

I already tried this but I had the HDD in the freezer for only 45minutes. I'll put him in for an hour or two.
Someboby has an other idea??
I know there are specialized companies who can recover allmost any drive but they are very expencive.
Does someone know how they work?? Which programs they use? What happens when one opens the drive?

Thnks
Eric
Related resources
November 2, 2008 4:43:55 PM

does Spinrite work even when HDD is not recognized in Bios?
November 2, 2008 5:28:28 PM

I haven't used it, but I would have to say no. I missed that point, sorry.

It's either the recovery company for full ram or throw it away. One other idea is to get the identical drive, including revision, and swap the PCBs.
November 2, 2008 5:44:09 PM

If it can't be seen by the mobo, then it's probably a bad PCB.
November 2, 2008 11:33:05 PM

If the PCB is dying/dead then the mobo won't see it. Additionally, the PCB could be sweeping the armature back and forth, hence the clicking.

I'm not sufficiently well versed to make absolutes, I never am, but I go for a bad PCB.

Edit: PCB = printed circuit board, in this case the one on the HD.
November 3, 2008 1:16:26 PM

I also had similar problem when my hard drive was having ticking sounds..so i opened it up (cause it was out of warrenty ,and my curiosity).the ticking sound then was due to the seeker being unstable ...i did'nt do any thing about it ,it did'nt make sense to put more effort into it .Now to your problem if this is not detected on bios may be you cant recover data . suggest these things:
1)try using prtition magic or acronis disk director suiteif they find the drive it might recover some data
2) try hirens bootCD it works sometimes
3)try spinrite

best of luck !!!!
November 3, 2008 7:20:48 PM

I'll take it back to the shop tomorrow. See what they say about it. The data is not that important. Recovering the data would save me a couple of weeks video mounting, and the lost e-mails.......so be it......
thanks anyway for your help all!!!!!
November 4, 2008 2:03:01 AM

ericensonia said:
I'll take it back to the shop tomorrow. See what they say about it. The data is not that important. Recovering the data would save me a couple of weeks video mounting, and the lost e-mails.......so be it......
thanks anyway for your help all!!!!!
Then don't bother to take it back, just move forward. Put your cash into a WD6400AAKS 640GB and be done.

If they give you another understanding than you got here, then let us know. I don't think you will, just wasted money.
!