internet connection wi fi vs hard wire

toage

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Will be connecting to internet with dsl. Which is faster?
hard wired dsl
or on board wi fi connection
Am using windows xp pro with new Asus pk5e wi fi board.

Thanks for your help. Bob

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
I'm assuming when you say "on board wi fi connection", you mean that you will be using a router connect to the modem (RG or whatever the hell cable/dsl companies are calling it these days). If you are within 10ft of the router, then you may as well be wired. If you are in another room... wireless is generally less hassle since you don't have run wires through walls etc. (Just note that the further you are from the router, the slower your connection will be)

Out of curiosity, do you know what router / wifi connection you are using? Should be wireless "B", "G", or "N".

leo2kp

Distinguished
Bandwidth-wise they'll both be good. If you're doing any online gaming, Wi-Fi has a slightly higher latency, but that shouldn't be noticeable. DSL, no matter how fast, will never use all of the bandwidth of a wireless setup. If you are moving files from one PC to another, that's where you should really start considering network performance. For internet you may as well go with the most convenient setup which is Wi-Fi unless security is a priority for you (enabling WPA should fix that no problem). No cables so you can put it virtually anywhere (assuming high enough signal-strength)!

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

LoL. I wonder how many times he called and complained his connection was slow. I wish I had some neighbors with free WI/FI.

One person has an open connection, with a default password on the router :p

The others I had to hack, one using WEP, the other uses WPA. The WPA password was "percussion" haha.

and OMG WEP is insecure... it took a grand total of 7 minutes to get the key.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
One person has an open connection, with a default password on the router :p
Heh, that's common with 99% of the people that live around me.

The others I had to hack, one using WEP, the other uses WPA. The WPA password was "percussion" haha.
Heh, just google WEP Crack. >.> Sometimes WPA can't be cracked, provided the person sets a difficult key.

One of the smartest things to do is just disable the SSID Broadcast! That and MAC Address Filtering. :D

That doesnt really help, you only need to capture the handshake between the client and host. Getting the SSID, and mac spoofing are easy.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I would also go Wired... i tested wireless in my house for a little while, although admittedly i didnt have the HIGHEST end stuff at the time, it was sh ithouse. Obviously file transfers over the network were slower on wifi but, i also had connection issues (dropouts and what not). I couldnt play FPS games either over local LAN or Internet due to the poor latency issues (i would be running around, the game would stop then i would be dead GREAT!).

Best thing i ever bought was my Dlink DGS-1216T 16port Gigabit smart switch speeds are EXCELLENT (BTW i love running cables all over the house so my gf can trip on them ;))

toage

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007

would be running "G" and was thinking of a dsl linked to router to handle two computers?

toage

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2007
Thanks to everyone. Think what I'll do is set up wireless for the two computers for files transfers and since I only want internet on one of the computers will hard wire dsl.

tonymarcus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I would go wired if the router is close to PC. On my Sky Broadband set up I connect at 13Mb/s when I do a speedtest the download result is 10Mb/s wired, 8Mb/s wireless in same room and about 6Mb/s in the kitchen which is downstairs and to the back of the house.