99% CPU Usage - not sure if this is the right place to post

killingzeasy

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hi,

I keep getting processes that are eating up CPU power... firefox.exe, flock.exe, vlc.exe (you get the picture,) all reaching 99% when viewed in Windows Task Manager... even after closing the application (meaning I have to end the process manually.) I know that this isn't exactly difficult but I'm just curious as to what might be causing the problem and how to prevent it from happening... is there a tool available that will limit the processing power any single process/or combination of processes is allowed to us? (If not then why the hell not?) As I said, it isn't exactly killing my system, and is currently little more than an annoyance but still...

KV

No not exactly. With the typical single core processor and limited RAM memory it happens quite often. Increasing the RAM does help, XP should have at least 1 GB and preferably 3GB. Deleting as many unused applications as possible does help. I typically can delete at least 10 and sometimes more from the usual system. This frees up some system resources and takes some load off the processor.
This is why the new systems use dual and quad core processors. It never goes 100% even with a whole bunch of stuff running.