Yahoo Finance: AMD Collapse Of Titanic Proprotions

Last response: in CPUs
December 27, 2007 2:30:46 PM
December 27, 2007 4:03:08 PM

hector is a bitch
December 27, 2007 6:01:53 PM

uk_gangsta said:
hector is a bitch

If he was my b***, I'd dress him up in stiletos, fishnets, crotchles underware from Fredricks of Hollywood and a bra with tasles and then I'd sell the pic to the National Inquirier! :pt1cable: 
Related resources
December 27, 2007 9:19:20 PM

wow i like that - it sums up the amd mess so welll!

nice post!
December 27, 2007 9:25:05 PM

ROFL:

Quote:
about a year after the buyout, the entire combined AMD and ATI has a market cap roughly equivalent to the cost of ATI itself. To put this into perspective, it was like putting a $100,000 addition onto your $200,000 house and then finding a year later that you can only list your house for sale for $100,000. Yes, your hemorrhoids would really twinge at that prospect, and AMD’s shareholders’ were no exception.

Very well put.

In other news: AMD stock continues to tank and close at $7.53, down 3+% for the day.
December 27, 2007 9:53:44 PM

Dare I say $7.35 by the end of the week?
December 27, 2007 9:56:33 PM

justinmcg67 said:

In trading, maybe, but to close on Friday, I don't think so.
December 27, 2007 10:06:53 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
Very well put.

Yeah, very well put right up the shareholder's... :lol: 
December 27, 2007 10:24:41 PM

im really dissapointed with Hector
December 28, 2007 12:26:03 AM

A M D--- They are like a drunk who doesn't change his\her lifestyle until they hits rock bottom......

Once they hit rock bottom, we just need to send them to Rehab for a month or 2, have them discover Jesus, and then all will be ok with their next processor lineup! =D
December 28, 2007 1:00:41 AM

Some large corporation would be smart to buy up the whole thing and sell off just the ATI portion.
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2007 2:03:38 AM

If they tank your precious Tukwila won't arrive for 5 to 10 years.

All you will be able to afford within a year is a Celeron.

This does not bode well for the industry as a whole.

How can Hector sit there without the board voting him off??

How much AMD stock does he own ... most of it ... lol ??

Hector must depart.

Funny article.

December 28, 2007 2:23:15 AM

Reynod said:
If they tank your precious Tukwila won't arrive for 5 to 10 years.

Like the guy said:

"...be ready to be thrilled by Intel’s news in 2015 that their new and improved Nehalem will be 1.25 MHz faster and retail for a mere $3,500." :lol: 
December 28, 2007 5:40:41 PM

justinmcg67 said:

Just before 2pm it hit $7.37!
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2007 6:22:04 PM

I think it's getting past the point of "praying" for amd. It's basically praying for a company to buy them out (like samsung) and continue the cpu/video card war.
December 28, 2007 6:23:18 PM

^agreed. if AMD goes. then we gonna be in really **** position. the same with ati. hope they bring kick ass graphics card.
December 28, 2007 6:30:02 PM

Quote:
I hope you guys are praying for AMD. Otherswise we all will be at the mercy of an Intel monopoly. We will all be paying $500 for mediocre processors.

We are very concerned. That's why you keep hearing all this negative talk from us, because the situation is very serious.
December 28, 2007 6:38:13 PM

Quote from wallstreet 24/7 This was posted December 6, 2007.

"AMD doesn't need cash now;
AMD may have a large grant coming down the pipe and it may be able to monetize some of its existing fabs;
Analysts are already mostly negative, so downgrades may just be "estimate cuts.'
The ATI unit could be converted to cash and the company could clean its books entirely, although it is a written down asset;
AMD has an implied permanent safety net in that it is deemed to be a "must survive company" because it keeps Intel (NASDAQ: INTC) from being a total outright monopoly;
The worst of the stock drop is likely behind it if you believe they have a perpetual place; It is quite possible that an IBM (NYSE: IBM), Taiwan Semi (NYSE: TSM) or another giant tech company could come in and partner with AMD. We cannot neglect that possibility, although they may want to install their own leader to save it.
An activist investor like Carl Icahn could always decide that enough is enough and want to stir up the pot, although we think he'd rather focus on profitable companies that can be made more profitable."
December 28, 2007 6:41:00 PM

caamsa said:

AMD may have a large grant coming down the pipe and it may be able to monetize some of its existing fabs;
Analysts are already mostly negative, so downgrades may just be "estimate cuts.'
The ATI unit could be converted to cash and the company could clean its books entirely, although it is a written down asset;
AMD has an implied permanent safety net in that it is deemed to be a "must survive company" because it keeps Intel (NASDAQ: INTC) from being a total outright monopoly;
The worst of the stock drop is likely behind it if you believe they have a perpetual place; It is quite possible that an IBM (NYSE: IBM), Taiwan Semi (NYSE: TSM) or another giant tech company could come in and partner with AMD. We cannot neglect that possibility, although they may want to install their own leader to save it.
An activist investor like Carl Icahn could always decide that enough is enough and want to stir up the pot, although we think he'd rather focus on profitable companies that can be made more profitable."

Here's the source: "10 CEO's Who Must Go in 2008" http://www.247wallst.com/2007/12/10-ceos-that--4.html
December 28, 2007 6:42:30 PM

justinmcg67 said:

And boom! 7.35 has been reached. Good call Justin. Now we'll just have to wait and see where it closes for the week. My guess is that it'll gain a little back before the bell.
December 28, 2007 6:43:30 PM

ALSO PLEASE STOP POSTING THIS STUFF IN THE CPU SECTION IT BELONGS IN TOM'S GUIDE UNDER ARTICLE DISCUSSIONS.

December 28, 2007 6:45:26 PM

Here's the source: "10 CEO's Who Must Go in 2008" http://www.247wallst.com/2007/12/10-ceos-that--4.html

Yep that is where I got it from. I posted it earlier today in the proper section of the forums and that is why you could not find it and no one has replied to it. :pt1cable: 
December 28, 2007 6:49:34 PM

caamsa said:
Yep that is where I got it from. I posted it earlier today in the proper section of the forums and that is why you could not find it and no one has replied to it. :pt1cable: 

That's for discussing articles written by Tom's; notice how virtually every thread is started by a Tom's employee? No one has replied to it either because it is not interesting enough or because I just posted it minutes ago.

Your attempt to take a stab at me has ended in an epic fail.

December 28, 2007 6:53:26 PM

caamsa said:
ALSO PLEASE STOP POSTING THIS STUFF IN THE CPU SECTION IT BELONGS IN TOM'S GUIDE UNDER ARTICLE DISCUSSIONS.

NO IT DOESN'T BELONG THERE. STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS AND TELLING PEOPLE WHAT TO DO. THE MODERATORS DO A GOOD JOB.

SEE MY ABOVE POST.
December 28, 2007 6:54:44 PM

Can someone say "build your Intel rig NOW"?
December 28, 2007 6:56:57 PM

NO IT DOESN'T BELONG THERE. STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS AND TELLING PEOPLE WHAT TO DO. THE MODERATORS DO A GOOD JOB.

SEE MY ABOVE POST.

You are wrong again..............you all just post in the cpu section because it gets all the attention. You all just don't like to follow the rules that's all :kaola: 

December 28, 2007 7:02:12 PM

If the stock drop has leveled out, it may not be a bad idea to look into investing in the stock while its selling so low. That is, if AMD has something promising on the horizon. Else it'll stop dropping and just stay low...
December 28, 2007 7:09:36 PM

caamsa said:
You are wrong again..............you all just post in the cpu section because it gets all the attention. You all just don't like to follow the rules that's all :kaola: 

This is about AMD. AMD makes CPUs. You just don't want it here because it paints your favorite company in a bad light.

Argh, I can't stand fanboys!
December 28, 2007 7:21:37 PM

They closed @ $7.30, but came back to $7.44 in after hours trading
December 28, 2007 7:26:21 PM

AMD 7.32 -0.21 (-2.79%) 28 Dec 4:01pm ET

Justin, do you want to be my investment adviser? You pwn!

BTW, caamsa, I'm the dork that plunked this thread into CPUs so if you wanna spank someone don't do it to TC. My fault. But I'm not wearing that leather mask and studed collar while you do it. :) 
December 28, 2007 7:40:34 PM

caamsa said:

Permanent safety net? Cash infusions will keep the lights on, but no one is going to unload cash on AMD out of the goodness of their hearts - payback in some form or other will come at a cost. I don't see the safety nets you speak of as being 'safe'.

AMD is not a must survive company. Sure, we'd all like it to survive, but business is business. If cash can keep them afloat long enough to let them get their act together, I'm sure you'll see someone step in who is looking for big gains down the road. If hope for recovery fades far enough, you could see cash infusions that come with the expectation that the company will fail, with the investors and VCs having purchased front seats at the IP firesale.

If AMD fails or is acquired, the x86 license is terminated and Intel is a monopoly. So what happens then? Either the entity purchasing AMD would have already had secret negotiations with Intel regarding a new license agreement, or the(various) government(s) will force Intel to the negotiating table after a few years of legal maneuvering. An Intel monopoly would not last forever.
December 28, 2007 8:37:56 PM

I just looked in my cristal ball and it showed Samsung-AMD kicking Intel's butt in 2010. It also said that Keira Knightley was going to marry me, so it might be broken. :) 
December 28, 2007 9:41:25 PM

This is about AMD. AMD makes CPUs. You just don't want it here because it paints your favorite company in a bad light.

Argh, I can't stand fanboys!

:lol: 

Anyway.......you cheesed a cat and now I lost all respect for you.......

I don't think AMD needs to be bought out they just need a leader who has a vision and is able to pull them up by their boot straps........

December 28, 2007 10:05:46 PM

And boom! 7.35 has been reached. Good call Justin. Now we'll just have to wait and see where it closes for the week. My guess is that it'll gain a little back before the bell.

Well after hours was higher than $7.35 but at the closing it managed to drop below $7.35!!

I'm thinking next week it'll drop a little bit less, but still dropping nonetheless.
December 28, 2007 10:26:48 PM

Rest in peace AMD.
December 28, 2007 10:30:37 PM

OlSkoolChopper said:
I just looked in my cristal ball and it showed Samsung-AMD kicking Intel's butt in 2010. It also said that Keira Knightley was going to marry me, so it might be broken. :) 

That's the trouble with those crystal balls. :heink:  Never know if one of them is showing a false future to you or who you're looking at is getting threatened by their crystal ball with something like "Be good, or you'll have to marry him!"

Give me tea leaves anytime. At least I can drink the tea when I'm done. :kaola: 
December 29, 2007 12:14:49 AM

I read tea leaves but then they said that Hector ruiz was going to be elected U.S. President in 2012 so i threw them out. That tea had very high THC content. :) 
December 29, 2007 12:47:29 AM

I love my Intel products. I am also smart enough to know that without a viable competitor there would be little reason for Intel to be overally aggressive with R&D and new product deployment.

As long as the AMD stock doesn't tank so far down that SearsMart buys the company we will be fairly safe.

I bet our Asian friends (Matsushita, Hitachi, Sony, Toshiba, Hyundai, Samsung etc) are already buying up AMD stock. Each and every one of them has a vested interest in keeping AMD products strong and readily available... if for no other reason than AMD being a thorn in Intel's side.
December 29, 2007 12:56:34 AM

StevieD said:
I bet our Asian friends (Matsushita, Hitachi, Sony, Toshiba, Hyundai, Samsung etc) are already buying up AMD stock. Each and every one of them has a vested interest in keeping AMD products strong and readily available... if for no other reason than AMD being a thorn in Intel's side.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but the Asain friends aren't buying up AMD stock. In fact, part of the reason AMD stock is so low is because its being shorted all over the place. They could care less about AMD being a thorn in Intel's side.

I've bought AMD chips for the past seven years and would like to see it survive as well. But AMD has to make a chip I'm willing to buy. No false promises, no faked up in house benchmarks; but simple, reliable, performance.
December 29, 2007 1:09:47 AM

sailer said:
Don't want to burst your bubble, but the Asain friends aren't buying up AMD stock. In fact, part of the reason AMD stock is so low is because its being shorted all over the place. They could care less about AMD being a thorn in Intel's side.

I've bought AMD chips for the past seven years and would like to see it survive as well. But AMD has to make a chip I'm willing to buy. No false promises, no faked up in house benchmarks; but simple, reliable, performance.

I don't think that anyone has noticed that Intells stocks are also slowly dropping. Hell the big winner on the stock market right now is Apple.

I agree with you in regards to AMDs next cpu. If it aint worth the upgrade I would not get it either. I don't think any of us are looking for a down grade.

My next upgrade will be a video card, nothing more.......hmmm maybe a new power supply....maybe.. ;) 

My current system still has plenty of power for me.
December 29, 2007 1:18:18 AM

caamsa said:

My current system still takes plenty of power from me.

Fixed

Im sorry.....I just couldnt resist :kaola: 
December 29, 2007 1:29:46 AM

OlSkoolChopper said:
If he was my b***, I'd dress him up in stiletos, fishnets, crotchles underware from Fredricks of Hollywood and a bra with tasles and then I'd sell the pic to the National Inquirier! :pt1cable: 

No, you would keep the picture for your perverted fantasies.
December 29, 2007 2:59:19 AM

Can Not said:
No, you would keep the picture for your perverted fantasies.

Are you kiding? There are guys on this forum who would sell their girlfriends to get that pic! :lol: 
December 29, 2007 3:08:38 AM

That's a nice thing about living in Nevada. A person can buy almost any perverted fantasy he wants just down the street. :non: 
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2007 5:57:05 AM

AMD to fishnets ... lol.

December 29, 2007 6:01:39 AM

Reynod said:
AMD to fishnets ... lol.

Hey, a couple more days and its New Year's Eve! Then we can really get weird! :kaola:  :bounce: 
December 29, 2007 3:01:07 PM

Self Deleted since the layout just changed...

FREEDOM FRIES NOW!

Q. Why do we need France on our side against Al Qaeda?

A. So the French can show them how to surrender.

Q: How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?

A: Nobody knows, it's never been tried.

Q. Why don't they have fireworks at Euro Disney?

A. Because every time they shoot them off, the French try to surrender.

Q: How many gears does a French tank have?

A: 4 reverse and 1 forward, in case the enemy attacks from the rear.

Q. What's the difference between Frenchmen and toast?

A. You can make soldiers out of toast.

Q. What do you call 100,000 Frenchmen with their hands up?

A. The Army.

OK... the timer starts now on how long it will take the Mods to DELETE all this... :kaola: 
December 29, 2007 3:20:54 PM

OlSkoolChopper said:

OK... the timer starts now on how long it will take the Mods to DELETE all this... :kaola: 

Now for the other side.

1. When the United States was still fighting for its independence, who came to their rescue when they were getting beaten into the dust?

A. The French.

2. When the United States was getting beaten again by the British in the War of 1812, who came to their rescue?

A. The French.

3. When France was invaded in WW1, did the United States rush to their aid?

A. The United States didn't do a thing until the Germans sank a few U.S. cargo ships carrying aid to Germany's enemy.

4. When France was invaded by the Germans in WW2, did the United States ruch to their aid?

A. No, the United States did nothing until the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.

5. Do the French feel they have a reason for not trusting the United States, nor helping out again when the United States gets into trouble?

A. They have two reasons; see 3 and 4 above.

And it troubles me to admit that the country I was born in and am a citizen of has proven itself to be too self centered to help anyone unless its own interests were threatened. Of course, some individual people from the US have had the sense of honor to help, but they have been exceptions to the rule.
December 29, 2007 3:37:37 PM

1. Only becuase they would have sided with the devil to side against the British. The enemy of my enemy is my firend.

2. See 1

3. The US stayed out of the fray until Pearl Harbor in the next war too. But then they came in and saved the world.

4. See 3

5. Yeah, but why don't they wear underarm deoderant? :) 

Sailer, you're not going to find anyone who thinks that Bush should have his face ground into the spining primary of an S&S 100 inch engine on the dyno more than me. But I'm a Canadian and I think that the USA is the gretest country in the world. If it wasn't for them, we'd all be speaking german and saluting swastiksa.
!