E8400/8500 Asus Mobo

beurling

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
It's probably been asked, but any recommendations as to which ASUS mobo (or other brand) would be best for overclocking a new wolfdale?

I'm leaning towards the Maximus Formula or P5E as the E8500 C2D was tested by Xbit on that platform and reached 4.3Ghz on air easily.

I'm only going to be using one video card,but I will be overclocking to at least the 4Ghz mark if possible. I'm just not convinced that a P35 will OC as well as an X38, am I dead wrong here?

Thank you.

andro21

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
i believe ive read that the p35 actually OCs better than the x38... but whether or not thats true, i think ur best bet (unless ur future-proofing urself with possible ddr3 or pci-e 2.0 or something) would be to get urself a p35.
depending on whether ur trying to go for mid-line mobo or something more is important. the asus p5k-e has been recommended many times... usually, its best competition is the abit ip35 pro. generally, ull find the abit to be about $30 more than the asus, but they run just as well as the other, and in fact, some websites (like techspot.com) have recommended getting the asus over the abit because of the price difference alone. if they were even in price, its a complete tossup.
the maximus formula is a good choice, but i think its an x38 mobo... id just get the best p35 out there or something, rather than goin with an x38.