Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Biostar TA770 A2+ opinions & question

Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2008 1:25:14 PM

I was thinking about getting a new Biostar TA 770 A2+ (moving up from an Epox 8rda3+ with Athlon XP Barton 3.0 with a GF 6800GT AGP). I plan on putting a 64x 5000+ or so in it, but I want the newer chipset so that I can put in a Phenom once they actually work properly and come down in price. From what I can tell so far, this board is the best Nvidia 770 offering available (heard the ASUS board layout sucks and runs really hot). Upon reading some reviews on Newegg, someone posted that the board will only support DDR800 though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are they mistaken? I thought that the max ram speed was governed by the CPU architecture? If the reviewer was correct (I can't find anything to the contrary) would this be something that could be fixed in a possible future BIOS update? Basically, I want to future-proof my mobo as much as possible and I was hoping that this would be a good route to go.... fully supports Phenom, PCI ex 2.0 etc. No DDR3 but from what I hear the price/performance ratio is no where near where it should be right now. Any ideas and/or comments are appreciated.

Thanks!
January 16, 2008 2:16:54 PM

Ya I have been looking at that motherboard also. The website says it will support DDR2 1066 ram, you just have to have a Phenom plugged in of course. And yes that board does seem to have the best layout of the current 770 chip set models, and I hear the T-Force over clock very well.
January 17, 2008 3:33:13 PM

Hmmm... I looked at the website and it doesn't say that it supports 1066, but I have seen some other posts that indicate it will... can you link to your source?
Related resources
January 20, 2008 6:30:17 PM

Guys, I registered here JUST to save your rears. IF you buy this POS do so with caution and DO NOT flash it with the bios released on 1/18/08, file name A78XA116.BST. It totally hosed my board. The flash went great, then upon reboot came up with about every error in the bios, incl checksum. It's like they didn't even test it. Re-flashing didn't help.

Some other notes:

Biostar doesn't even list the board on the products page. You have to get to the info via a flash banner. You have to keep refreshing the ad until the 770 appears.

The clear cmos jumper is a NIGHTMARE to reach. It's crammed completely up against a lower pci slot. I have to take my audigy out to reach it with a pair of small needle nose. Yes, it's that bad.

Nobody tells you it uses 24 pin PSU and an 8 pin CPU connector.

I never got my IDE drives to work.

Needless to say this sucker is heading back to newegg. I can't believe how bad it turned out to be. I even gave it great reviews at first. What a hassle. Worst is calling MS YET AGAIN to reactivate XP. grrrr. :fou: 

January 22, 2008 12:48:25 PM

I just thought that I'd let everyone know that there is literally NO info on this board out there. In fact, I googled Biostar TA770 and it was the NUMBER 1 GOOGLE HIT! I'd like to see a comprehensive review.
January 22, 2008 1:16:39 PM

Short Review:

Ordered from Newegg on Wed 16th of Jan:

Biostar TA770 A2+ $81.99
EVGA 8800GT $249.99
Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Box $99.99 (good price! now it is back to $129)
2 Gig Kingston DDR2 1066 (2x1gig)
Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM SATA 150 $104.99
Cooler Master Hyper TX2 $21.99

I ordered on Wednesday before bed on Wednesday the 16th. UPS saver overnight was $15 more than regular shipping so I sprung for it thinking it I would have it for the weekend.

WRONG.

Everything shipped EXCEPT the memory which shipped (supposedly) from a different warehouse on Friday. I was supposed to get in Monday but I guess it will come today (I hope) (Tues 22nd).

I initally planned on gutting my old box and moving new parts into it, but upon further reflection and since I have a pretty good old rig (Barton 2500 oc'd to 3000 speed... not sure what MHZ that it though...GF 6800GT 1gig DDR) I decided to keep the old rig as-is (to use as a media center PC in the living room) and buy a new case.

I went to the local Micro-center on Sunday and picked up a Antec Sonata III quiet case with built in 500watt earth-power PSU for $99 (no rebate). I also picked up a SATA Samsung 20X DVDR with Lightscribe for $35 (OEM).

I got everything home Sunday evening and started the install.

First impressions:

CPU - Nice box. Stickers included in box. Sealed with holographic AMD sticker.

Cooler - This thing is freaking huge. Has a chintzy small power connector instead of the molex ones I see some using.

Mobo - Looks nice. Chipset heatsink seems a little loosely attached. Plenty of room on the board. SATA ports are at the very bottom front corner of the board. If you have a big case, do yourself a favor and get a >24" sata cord. Mine BARELY reached.

8800GT - From what I have heard there isn't much deviation in form on these. Standard cooler. Had a piece of plastic film shipped on top to keep it from getting scratched. Came with VGA to digital connector and a SVideo + Compenent cables combo out plug adapter. Card has a power connector (4 pin methinks) at the front of the card.

Case - I have looked at plenty of case lately and this case is really nice. First off, it is HEAVY. The gauge of the steel is appreciably heavier than any other case I have ever handled. Paint job (black gloss) is nice but has a bit of orange peel to it (I used to work in auto industry... I have lots of experience in this area). The PSU connectors are as follows (from memory):

4 SATA ( 2 leads with 2 plug on eavh lead)
1 main mobo connector
1 aux mobo connector (smaller plug)
8(?) molex 4X2
Floppy
PCI
??? maybe missing some here.

The case is laid out pretty nicely on the inside. It has a handy rail that runs about 1/3 of the way down from the top that is 3/4 hollow which allows you to run cables through it for a cleaner look. HD mount transversely (front of drive goes to left side of case from the front). HD cages all have neat little silicon grommets that support the drive. Antec says that this is to reduce noise but I don't know about that. I think they will be more useful as a shock absorbtion/vibration reduction measure.

Case has a large fan at rear which pulls air from the front lower vents of the case. The fan has a 3 position (low/med/high) switch that controls fan speed. Behind the air intake on the front of the case, there is a removable washable air filter (access from the bottom of the case @ front bezel).

As I said before, I am really happy with this case. It is very high quality and has a decent 500W PSU builit into it. Lowest price I could find the PSU for was $60 so you are getting a really nice QUIET case for $40.

Well I get everything installed and got my cable routhing done and fired it up. Sounds good. Mobo beeps continuously because I have no RAM yet. Once I get the RAM in I will post back with MOBO and overclocking results and maybe even some benchmarks.

Brian

January 22, 2008 9:13:53 PM

Im the one who reviewed at newegg.

Heres why I said ddr2 800mhz. First newegg listed it AND biostar did on the GLOBAL site usa site does not list it yet. Second the box says ddrII 800 and usually, they do list maz supported speed on teh box (nice marketing mess up biostar team) 3rd, ONLY supports ddrII 1066 as it turns out with a Phenom cpu. Its NOT the mem controler dddrII is ddrII. ITs the speed IE the divider since amd uses a division of overall cpu clock speed. Any rate it will run it, the mobo also has to support it if your using spd enhanced timing mode etc etc (also called EPP or SLI). But to reach 1066 on am2 (not am2+) you need to oclock the fsb and use the ddrII 800 divisor.

The new bios IS bad. I dw it too and also got dead board. BUT there is a way out folks. First boot blocker should have activated and then you can boot off of cd or floppy to reflash. The primary boot block is protected and not overwritten during flash. So make a flash cd or floppy and reflash. I tried new bios 3x its just plain bad. I told Biostar about this so it should either be fixed or removed soon.

Just reflash using the Older bios on there site it works good. (there only 2 on site for this get the one with c in its name)

Hope this helped clear the mess up Im reviewing this board and just registered here to give some insight and maybe save a few dead boards while Im at it. I will certainly cover this in the review and give biostar some bad marks for the bios issues. Otherwise its been a GREAT board, the best Ive owned so far. Now if they can just fix the bios mess they made.
January 22, 2008 9:17:25 PM

rta said:
Guys, I registered here JUST to save your rears. IF you buy this POS do so with caution and DO NOT flash it with the bios released on 1/18/08, file name A78XA116.BST. It totally hosed my board. The flash went great, then upon reboot came up with about every error in the bios, incl checksum. It's like they didn't even test it. Re-flashing didn't help.

Some other notes:

Biostar doesn't even list the board on the products page. You have to get to the info via a flash banner. You have to keep refreshing the ad until the 770 appears.

The clear cmos jumper is a NIGHTMARE to reach. It's crammed completely up against a lower pci slot. I have to take my audigy out to reach it with a pair of small needle nose. Yes, it's that bad.

Nobody tells you it uses 24 pin PSU and an 8 pin CPU connector.

I never got my IDE drives to work.

Needless to say this sucker is heading back to newegg. I can't believe how bad it turned out to be. I even gave it great reviews at first. What a hassle. Worst is calling MS YET AGAIN to reactivate XP. grrrr. :fou: 

Hope you didnt rma it yet cause the board is still good Just follow the cd flash process if you need help I can guide you I saved mine from the exact same issue you had. All the info was found on biostar website for recovery though it wasnt easy to find. OH and awardflash isnt on the global site anymore. Its on USA site (freaken mess-have to go back and forth between the two sites!). You wan AWDFL882. Wrong award will NOT work as it willact like 100% then hang. I used a older one at first since biostar hid theres. Didnt work that way. Only there awardflash worked for me.
January 23, 2008 1:18:43 AM

I am glad you got it working. Yeah, I did send it back. Got me an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless coming on Thur. It's kinda what I wanted in the first place and I never could get my ide working on the Biostar and there was a pretty long delay on boot which may have been from using an nvidia gpu from what i understand.

I dunno, with Bio's seemingly lacking support I just went ahead and joined the masses...

Why did they post that bios? then they wrote me and told me it works great in the systems they tested. I don't get it :pt1cable: 
January 23, 2008 3:43:16 AM

the long delay is the overclocking feature that powers the cpu on first with certain startup voltage etc. the manual mentions it a little (but not in much detail).

Why they posted that bios I have no idea.......but it sure isnt working on pcs out side of their labs, how could it effected BOTH of us the same way if it isnt on their end heh. I tried the windows and dos flash with clear cmos enabled and disabled in windows. I tested that bios in every way I could.....it wouldnt work. I even had just keyboard and monitor with NO extra pci devices hard drives or anything. Bios is just plain bad or got corrupted on their site.

Biostar co. isnt bad in my opinion its one of my favorites in fact. Ever since my last few asus boards gave me headaches I stopped paying the extra for them. They all have a problem here or there or just a bad product even. In this case it was just a mess up somewhere. The problem is thats a HUGE messup. I have the Biostar Tforce550 for like a year and its good board. Flashed that a few times with no issues. Overclocks good, but I think this TA770 can do alot more (especially on fsb).

I just wanted the 770 chipset, super low power use, really cool running with pci-e 2.0 and a pci-e integrated sata controler and lan. OF course native Phenom support too, am2+ has HT3 and the advanced power features that allow the quad cores to use less power (like advanced cool and quiet). Regular Am2 board will run Phenom but HT3 and power saving modes wont work. No garuntee on ddr1066 speeds either.
January 23, 2008 7:07:42 AM

Just a update for those interested the WORKING bios on their site, one with c in its name. Finally enabled DDR1066 ON AM2 cpu's. This is great news. We got the 1066 divider it appears, nice!
January 23, 2008 12:37:45 PM

Having problems installing Vista from SATA optical drive. Froze up every time. Anyone have any ideas? I did a small bit of research and found that if I swap SATA with EIDE it may work. I sure hope so. I don't want to waste another 5 hrs tonight :(  So far I am pretty unimpressed with the bios. Ugly ass boot screen and yes it does take a few seconds to get going. Anyone know if you can disable boot graphic. Terrible "i love mother earth" style green graphic splash screen.
January 23, 2008 8:13:36 PM

RTFM, hehe. It tells you the longer boot is to power the cpu up first with start up voltage to increase oclock success. Logo is easy to disable just go back into that ugly bios and look around it literral says disable logo.... The bios impressed me, it took everything the T550 had and added some more. Tons of mem tweaks AND tweaks for the a64 internal mem control (wooopaaaa!). Id say it must just be me, but alot of other hardware sites and enthusiest liked it too! heh.

Xp went right on BUT I had to delete the MBR and recreate my hard disk partitions. Again RTFM, if covers this. Its the sata IDE emulation new boards use sometimes they arent compatable and must recreate MBR and partitions. Hey its still better then that F6 crap my asus made me do, which forced me to make a boot cd. Ill like emulation better.

So if you havent wipe the drive (after data moved of course). You need NO partions, no anything. Start over. XP went right on for me after that. Vista prob hanging cause it cant access the hdd right Id think.
January 24, 2008 12:21:20 PM

El_brio - You can disable it, in advanced bios features, disable Full Screen Logo Show - No more lovely orb on a T.

At everyone else having problems - I have fixed mine and shall share it with you - DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS WITH THEIR WINDOWS PROGRAM - you will have issues - BootBlocker may pop up.

On my machine I downloaded http://bootdisk.com/plan20/flashcd.zip using the Ultra-Iso trial I made the boot disk with the following -
Well crap - Biostar took it off the site - http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/t-series/bios.php?S_ID=310

Now its only the 12-20 bios not the 1-20.
If you are brave - http://www.lejabeach.com/Biostar/TA770A2+/ has the newest bios.
Regardless - Make the boot CD to include the Flashing utility (also on lejabeach) and the bios - Let's use A78XA116.BST as the bios.
Once the CD is burned with Flashing utility and the 116 Bios. Reboot (or if you are using another computer to burn, boot the dead one). It will boot to the CD and say the bios utilities are on R: (This may or may not be correct, on my system they were on the S: Drive). When you have located your bios utilities. Type the following -

AWD887 A78XA116.BST /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /cks /r

This should overwrite your existing bios so that nothing is left from a previous version (I got errors before not typing the commands after because it wouldn't update some sectors.)
Now Boot!
January 24, 2008 12:27:54 PM

Also (for those using unlocked chips) using the newest Bios you can turn off the K8 Cool and Quiet in the overclocking area and change the multiplier (FID) setting - I myself am using the BE5000 - I was able to get 15.5x200 for a smooth 3.1ghz (500mhz jump) at stock voltage.

If overclocking is your style. Another fantastic forum to read is over at the Rebels Haven http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=53;t=000463;p=1

They talk about using the Phenom - But an interesting read none the less - helped me fix my issue.

All in all, even though the board sucked for the first week with Bios issues, now its a champ and I am thoroughly impressed.
January 24, 2008 12:47:20 PM

Damn. Tried to flash new bios and it f'd me up. I was hoping I'd get lucky. It looks now like the new bios is off the site. The only one available is

A78XAC20.BST

Will I be able to flash this one from bootblock using awardflash?

Here is what I tried last night:

Made boot disk with award flash and the old bios "backup file" I made before flashing. I noticed that the file was named "backup.bin" since the other bios was a1116XXXXX.bst I renamed the backup "Backup.bst" to try to flash. Rebooted into Dos and tried but got error "This is not an Award BIOS file".

So... tonight I plan to:

Download a78xac20.bst and flash it

Qusestions:

Is this the "old" bios?
Will it flash as is or do I need to rename to .bin?

Thanks!
January 24, 2008 1:04:53 PM

use this command when flashing -

AWD887 (if thats your flashing utility) A78XAC20.BST (if you use that bios) /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /cks /r

I covered my issues a couple of posts ago - when you go to flash does it overwrite everything? - IE in the flashing utility is it all white boxes or is the first few sections blue (meaning no upgrade)

With the commands at the end this should overwrite it all, giving you the ability to use the Jan 20 bios, but using the 12-20 bios is fine too.
January 24, 2008 1:48:10 PM

Raeorn, like I said before the a78xac20.bst IS the good one (you said before it was bad one) Looks like they listened cause I emailed biostar tech department with every bit of info from 6 hours of flashing this board in every way possible.

Listen close folks. ITS NOT THE WINDOWS FLASHER -this is a myth since the day asus started it (biostar and other adpotped it later). I FLASHED IN WINDOWS AND DOS neither worked that new bios was just BAD thats all.

I flashed the working one in BOTH XP and DOS- crazy? Maybe but I put hours into finding out was it clear cmos? Was is windows flasher? NOPE it was the bios that simple. Atleast biostar listened......anyways anyone who wants to recover pay attention to this.

FIRST- go to www.bootdisk.com

Get this file
Quote:
BOOTABLE CD
CD To Read/Write/Copy/Delete/Edit Files On NTFS DRIVEs
Need To Flash Your BIOS On A PC With No 1.44 Read.1st

The 1.44 is really a link click it-its a cd boot image with min drivers for flashing. IT WORKS I used it for this exact board and problem.

Now you need the real award flash that recognises this new 8mb ROM. Wrong award means it cant identify nor flash proper. Ill help you find tha tcause biostar hides it about. Its at the US site only so I had to search both Global and us.
http://www.biostar-usa.com/downloaddetails.asp?fileid=1...
thats the flash link

Now make the disc following bootdisc instructions its REALLY easy. Drop the bios and the award flash in the folder it says.

Now you dont need to type all that either. Just the name of flash program (space) name of bios file

like this AWDFL882.EXE a78xac20.bst

Thats ALL. Now press enter key and it will open flash and run it. When its done it says flash succesfull at bottom will say press enter to restart. Now it MAY NOT reboot. Let it go a minute. If it stays black screen etc. Just shut off pc and remove power plug from case. THIS IS IMPORTANT. Mine wouldnt reboot even after successfull flash without the power cycle the one time. Now on the 4th flash (remember I was testing the bios THOROUGHLY) it did restart proper so its just something to keep in mind.

Again thats the exact cd, flash program and bios I used and brought the board back to life. Just htough Id share the hours of testing with you as I did with biostar.

P.S. Do NOT rename the bios file. Biostar bios are name .bst AND the flash program I linked reads .bst its a way to help prevent using thewrong flash program and really messing up (like loosing boot block protector). Renaming that and using wrong award file could leave you with a really dead bios.
January 24, 2008 1:50:00 PM

Gonna have to try tonight. I finally had XP up and running last night and then decided to flash the 116 bios to see if I could get VISTA to install. Big mistake trying to flash from inside windows.

Has anyone here flashed 116 bios from dos and had any luck with it?
January 24, 2008 1:54:03 PM

Do you have a number for Biostar tech support? I want to give them a piece of my mind. I will NOT do business with this company again. I can't believe they released that crap 116 bios.
January 24, 2008 1:55:05 PM

el_brio said:
Gonna have to try tonight. I finally had XP up and running last night and then decided to flash the 116 bios to see if I could get VISTA to install. Big mistake trying to flash from inside windows.

Has anyone here flashed 116 bios from dos and had any luck with it?

I flashed it BOTH ways remember. Dos and windows. The windows flasher is 100% working fine. Its the bios file. I even tried 116 AFTER I recovered with the c one. No good that bios file is junk.
January 24, 2008 1:57:48 PM

http://www.computerhope.com/comp/biostar.htm

Their real name is BMA Industrial Inc.
PHONE: (626) 581-1055
ALT PHONE NUMBER: (305) 477-4977

You can tell them theres alot of info over here at tomshardware forums if they doubt it! I was so mad at them that night I cant say what I was yelling on this forum! Uh! But its the first issue I had with them in 3 years of using their boards so I cant really complain too much. HOWEVER them just acting like oh its no biggy really has me mad and my review WILL reflect the lack of responce from tech department-they never acknowledge my email and the tips I gave them (take it down now or face the RMA's that are coming your way) I literally told them that. Shouldnt have waisted my time I guess, but I didnt want other folks getting burnt too and face it alot of people couldnt do a simple bios recovery like we have (most basic pc users would be LOST and give up)
January 24, 2008 2:27:17 PM

I am running the 116 Bios right now, its stable as anything, if you do not put those parameters in, it will not upgrade the whole bios. After 4 hours of trying random things, I did the bootdisk.com CD with the 116 bios, typed in those parameters at the end, and the 116 bios works fine. If I stated before that the C20 is the bad bios I am sorry, I know its the right one just got confused.

116 has given many people problems, but like I said if you flash it using the correct utility and use the parameters set in my previous post
AWD887 A78XA116.BST /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /cks /r

It did work for me, before I set those parameters I would just type AWD887 A78XA116.BST then let it go, it would not work. Now maybe I got lucky BUT the only thing I changed (not a new boot disk, same CD) was to add those parameters at the end and bam everything worked.

I am not knocking anyone else's idea as to how to do I am just listing exactly how I got the 116 to flash and work rock solid.
January 24, 2008 2:31:19 PM

And xtreeme I agree with you 100% the bios was the issue for me before, and thats why I did a full bios upgrade which in turn, worked. I emailed their tech support saying my motherboard is dead (before a successful flash), what do I do now, and they didn't get back to me. And have since taken down the 116 bios off the site.

I will probably not buy something from them in the future, but at least I am happy that this is working and I can adjust the multiplier on my cpu to 15.5x
January 24, 2008 2:40:28 PM

To people who don't understand the command line stuff - a quick run down
/py - Program(update) bios - yes
/sn - Save old bios - no - I wish there was a hell no
/cd - Clear DMI Data
/cp - Clear PnP data
/cc - Clear CMOS
/cks - Update Binfile Checksum
/r - restart the system!

HOWEVER when the system restarted for me, I had to physically reset it, it would just hang in a black screen, wait a few before rebooting.
and once finished click load optimized defaults in the bios screen, reset, go back into the bios and edit as you will
January 24, 2008 2:41:58 PM

cool well that tells us why win flasher couldnt do it then. We just figured out THEIR problem for them! LOL. Winflasher doesnt add all those commands. Hmmm. Wonder what they did to that file that made it like that. Ill wait for the next one I think before trying again.

Anyways that other on their site fixed my issue. I have 5000+ BE and Id set say 16x and it would result in 15.5x Well since some dont clock well on .5 multis I wanted to try the regular 16x. Also stock bios at auto would give me 2500mhz instead of 2600mhz. SO it was setting 12.5x not 13. LOL what a mess.

BTW about the confusion on bios I understand this is a frustraiting mess and easy to get confused!
January 24, 2008 2:44:53 PM

On hold now. God their hold music is lame. It is worth a call just to hear it. MIDI crap. Hehehe.
January 24, 2008 2:48:13 PM

SAME ISSUE! it always go to .5x so I just set it to 15.5x and forgot about it.

I do have to say I AM very impressed with the BE5000, to gain 500 more mhz without having to even change voltage, and for it to run rock solid is great.
January 24, 2008 2:48:45 PM

Also, this still doesn't address my root problem.... on Vista install when I get to the "Completing installation" step after reboot it freezes and won't finish install. I was hoping 116 would fix that. Anyone know if the C20 is a > release version (can't check from work).
January 24, 2008 3:03:16 PM

el_brio - sorry about the other problem - quick question, did you install the SATA drivers when the windows install asks, to install 3rd party raid or sata drivers hit F6 (I think) now. If you didn't that very well could be the issue.

Another question - is your Video card vista compliant? that would also give an issue like you're describing.
Really make sure everything is 100% compliant, non-compliant stuff such as an older network card or sound card can bring the CPU usage to 100% therefore not completing anything.
January 24, 2008 3:13:07 PM

el-brio, ya c20 is a newer version then what it came with.

You dont to f6 with this board. The sata does IDE emulation just make sure in bios it says SATA = IDE controler mode (similar to that exact words Im not sure of without looking again)

Also as Raeorn said it could be other devices haning. I would have JUST the mobo, ram, cpu, hdd and keyboard and monitor (mouse if you dont know how to navigate menues with keyboard). INstall vista then put the rest back.

ALSO dont forget like I said, if old mobo also used sata IDE emulation you MUST wipe the MBR, a simple format wont do this. You need to DELETE the partions ALL of them on that drive, then recreate them. My XP wouldnt install either till I did.
January 24, 2008 3:19:45 PM

Oh nifty, I didn't even know about the IDE emulation, good to know for future upgrades.
January 24, 2008 3:48:48 PM

Video card is GF8800GT. EIDE emulation is on. Didn't install SATA drivers..... should I? How do I do this correctly? In vista or in bios?
January 24, 2008 3:53:31 PM

When you do a clean installation, Windows loads the setup files, when this is loading it says If you need to install 3rd party sata or raid files (or something along those lines) press F6 now, but as xtreeme stated before, you shouldn't need to with EIDE emulation on. But as a precaution I would install them anyway.

And make sure nothing else is plugged in besides Mobo, CPU, RAM, HDD, VID, Keyboard and Mouse. Like xtreeme also said before
January 24, 2008 4:10:58 PM

I will unplug USB mouse I guess. Need the optical drive too :)  I have nothing else plugged in... maybe the c20 bios will help.
January 24, 2008 4:22:58 PM

did you wipe the MBR on the drive? Make sure your data is off it first of course. I think the emu needs to handle the whole partition setup cause in my case it would create a partiton and then wouldnt format it saying it wasnt a xp format.

So it maybe your issue aswell. Delete all partions till drive is bare -then create new-format and install vista. If you dont it wont see the hard drive properly (this is a fact in xp, vista Im nto sure I only beta tested that then stayed clear or it hehe)
January 25, 2008 12:04:31 AM

OK. Flashed to C20 bios. This bios rev doesn't have a multiplier option though?
January 25, 2008 2:25:31 AM

ya it does, disable cool and quiet. THen it opens the multis. I told them what I thought of that too since ALL my other a64's oclocked WITH cool and quiet still enabled. The T550 lets you - so that upset me a bit to see a higher end board not offer it!
January 25, 2008 1:39:42 PM

Are we saying the same thing in two threads haha, but yeah, you disable cool and quiet, and you can get to 15.5x multiplier with no real issues with the BE5000+. So far my specs are the BE5000 at 3.1 ghz (15.5x200) and my 8600GT at 700mhz/900mhz and running smooth as silk with great framerate across the board. Woo!
January 27, 2008 2:30:53 PM

Hi, I just registered to ask some questions here since this thread seems to be the most helpful for this board and BE5000. The CPU is prime95 stable at 3GHZ (200x15) at 1.35V on a Gibabyte GA-m61p-s3. However the GA board's SATA is defective--it almost always crash when moving 100GB of data from one seagate to another (independent of oclock or not). Newegg just told me they ran out so I ordered the TA-770 instead. I think it should get delivered to eastcoast by Friday.

In the meanwhile if you could clarify some questions I have with BIOS I'd really appreciate it:

1. Flash utility: AWD887 or AWDFL882? The first one is from the rebelhaven site, the second one from biostar-usa.

2. Bios version: looks safest to use is the C20? But if I use the bios that comes with the board, will it allow me to OC the multiplier? I understand I may have to turn off C&Q.

3. Flash procedure: I have a floppy drive from my old dell which I just tested and can move to the new build temporarily. Do I have to flash with the command line, or in the bios there is a flash command? Usually there is a bios option to flash from the floppy drive. I normally would just go ahead flash with winflash with a fresh xp but seeing all the problems related to the flash gave me some pauses...
January 27, 2008 8:02:18 PM

1. AWDFL882.EXE From the biostar site. Biostar awdflash reads .bst files.

2. a78xac20.bst is the safest bios so far. The stock bios does allow overclocking I did. All versions of bios for this board so far require Cool and Quiet disabled to use the multiplyer.

3. Floppies if old or old drive ARE RISKY. Dont do it. Follow my guide couple posts above for making a BOOT cd ir I could make one for you. This mobo can boot cd and flash, even if bootblocker is activated after a fail flash. Id use cds over floppy.

January 27, 2008 11:11:16 PM

I just got a Biostar TA770 and Phenom 9500 from Newegg. I'm having problems setting up a Raid 0 with 2 new 320gig Seagate drives. Basically when I set the SATA in Bios to Raid, it hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data". If I set it to IDE rather than Raid in Bios, everything boots fine. (but no Raid) I made a Raid driver floppy from the CD, and loaded it at F6, to no avail. Unfortunately I'm using XP Home, so I can't do a software Raid, unless somebody has a third-party solution.
January 28, 2008 12:12:34 PM

@llnyc - I used the latest 887. I think it is the newest. The C20 worked for me. The bios that came with board is older than C20 and I couldn't load vista w/it. You need two floppies:

1 - Format in windows XP. Select option "Make this an MS dos boot disk

2 - Bios and flash utility

Boot to floppy 1, then insert floppy 2 and flash bios using command line(s) above.
January 28, 2008 12:14:14 PM

@3d man - I think you need to hit F6 during boot to set up raid...
January 28, 2008 1:55:49 PM

el_brio said:
@3d man - I think you need to hit F6 during boot to set up raid...

Yeah, I did that...but it still hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data".
January 28, 2008 2:05:00 PM

xtreeme and el_brio, thanks so much for the replies. Right now I have:
1. brand new floppy formatted the dell drive, with flash and bios on it; Floppy drive also out of the dell for later emergencies.
2. bootable CD with flash and bios made from scratch with Nero 7. I could not figure out how to add files to the flashcd.iso from bootdisc with nero, so I made one from a blank bootable CD Rom compilation.
3. will make a bootabel CD from the bootdisk iso with flash and bios. I downloaded ultraiso and have yet install it. (I realized I should back up my current PC last night.)

I think I will go with item 3 first. By tonight I will be all set. Also this item is shipped out of Edison NJ so I will probably get it on Wed!
January 28, 2008 3:58:18 PM

Don't bother with cdr just use a floppy but, like stated above, use a new one. I would be hesitant to flash from CD... No reason really other than when you flash you should do it from most basic hardware possible.
January 28, 2008 6:25:32 PM

I hear you, but I think the cdr is either going to work or not to work, while the dell floopy is really old, I had to blew out a chunk of dusk from the disk slot, lol, so the risk of it malfunctioning, say reading some corrupted bytes is real. Did you use all the flags in the command line?
January 28, 2008 7:38:24 PM

Floppies are dusty use head to read the data and have a floppy disc in side. NOT safe as cd anyway you slice it. ONLY bios I killed so far (knock on wood) after tons fo flashes died form a bad floppy drive, died in middle of flash. Ill never use one again. I used the cd for this, boot blocker has it enabled on purpose so biostar also thinks its fine. Lastly they have NO choice but to make cdrom work right, floppies are going the way of Beta max and vcr tapes. Reason is obvious they arent reliable, so why flash with it?

To add files to cd is really easy. Use ultimate ISO or Power ISO, demos are fine for this. Now open the iso up in Ultimate iso. Now in the right side you see a panel that shows the folder the instructions told you to put the files in. Double click to go there. Now just drag the bios and flash program to the folder. Click burn in Ultimate iso. Your done.

The bios also has built in flash program but again need floppy so I dont use it.
January 28, 2008 7:41:08 PM

3DMan said:
I just got a Biostar TA770 and Phenom 9500 from Newegg. I'm having problems setting up a Raid 0 with 2 new 320gig Seagate drives. Basically when I set the SATA in Bios to Raid, it hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data". If I set it to IDE rather than Raid in Bios, everything boots fine. (but no Raid) I made a Raid driver floppy from the CD, and loaded it at F6, to no avail. Unfortunately I'm using XP Home, so I can't do a software Raid, unless somebody has a third-party solution.

The driver cd has the 3rd party raid drivers. I saw them on there when looking around. Are you using AHCI mode?
!