Sign in with
Your question

Audigy 2 vs X-FI

Last response: in Components
December 27, 2007 5:10:43 PM

I am thinking of getting a new sound card. I have the audigy 2 now and I was thinking of upgrading to the X-Fi. Would I notice that much of a difference between the two. I mean the X-fi extreme gamer is $135.

I do play games and that is why I am considering buying a new sound card.

I just built a new system and was trying to decide about whether or not to upgrade the sound card.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Also if I posted this twice I am sorry about that.

More about : audigy

December 27, 2007 5:23:49 PM

Also another question would be do I need the X-fi xtreme Fatal1ty which is $135 at new egg or would the $89.99 X-fi xtreme gamer at tiger direct be ok?
December 27, 2007 5:57:45 PM

If all you're doing is playing games i wouldn't bother. If you really want to get decent sound quality you're going to want to get an X-fi fatal1ty xtreme of some sorts, a good power amp and a good set of speakers. I'm not talking about your "logitech z5500" here, i mean proper quality B+W speakers etc
Related resources
December 27, 2007 5:58:32 PM

I have the X-Fi Xtreme Gamer and I'm extremely pleased with it. It can even do 7.1 surround sound, and the sound quality is top notch. (Both output and input via mic) The options for sound are almost limitless as well... Bass Booster, THX options, Crystalizer, and tons of other things. :D 

Sorry that I don't have any experience with the Audigy 2, but just though you may want to here someone's honest opinion on the X-Fi.

Also, no offense to you or anyone else with Fatal1ty products, but I think that's just a money sink. Side by side the Fatal1ty vs. Normal products are almost identical, except they throw in a few LED's, maybe increase performance by like 1-2%, and inflate the price by 40%. >.> If someone could give me more info on this, I would appreciate it.

*edit*
Ah, yes, I'll add on this as well:
Quote:
If all you're doing is playing games i wouldn't bother. If you really want to get decent sound quality you're going to want to get an X-fi fatal1ty xtreme of some sorts, a good power amp and a good set of speakers. I'm not talking about your "logitech z5500" here, i mean proper quality B+W speakers etc

Agreed. If you use crappy speakers, there is no point to buying a sound card at all.They say in order to get the full quality of sound from your machine that you'll have to spend 10 times the cost of the machine on the speakers. /shrug
December 27, 2007 6:18:44 PM

In all reality, Fatal1ty is a great guy to talk to ( I sat next to him and played [got smoked]) at a LAN in KC a few years ago. I asked him what hardware he was running, and all he told me was 'Intel chip and an nVidia card of some kind that wasn't out yet'. Good guy, nice, but he is just a marketing figure for all the parts with his name on them...many not worth their weight in crap. Just buying a part with someone's name on it doesn't validate the increase in price. (Air Jordans, anyone??)
December 27, 2007 6:34:29 PM

That's why I hate his licensed crap on principle.

I was at best buy and saw a 8500GT Fatal1ty edition, and I was like, "Lol, how many suckers that see him on tv are going to pick this over a decent card?"
December 27, 2007 6:49:28 PM

X-Fi is common in todays games and you won't feel like you've been ripped off. I own one of those and I love 'em. Great sound (especially if you have a great sound system or good headphones) and gives you a better experience. If you have a medium-end computer, they also take of some weight from your CPU when rendering sounds = better framerates.
December 27, 2007 7:31:10 PM

rubix_1011 said:
In all reality, Fatal1ty is a great guy to talk to ( I sat next to him and played [got smoked]) at a LAN in KC a few years ago. I asked him what hardware he was running, and all he told me was 'Intel chip and an nVidia card of some kind that wasn't out yet'. Good guy, nice, but he is just a marketing figure for all the parts with his name on them...many not worth their weight in crap. Just buying a part with someone's name on it doesn't validate the increase in price. (Air Jordans, anyone??)

Not to disagree completely with this and "hypermagic's" post but i believe the Creative X-fi range is somewhere where this does not stand. If we have a look at each product from the creative website with the X-Fi brand name
http://au.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category=209&subcategory=669
The top card is the Elite Pro (no mention of Fatal1ty here) comes with a few extra goodies the main one being the External IO box. The next is the Fatal1ty champion which is almost the same as the Elite except with an internal IO connector. The Fatal1ty Pro is next that looses the IO connector. Now the rest are significant step lower in my mind, The XtremeGamer looses X-RAM, connectivity, remote and higher quality contacts. Also from what i know the onboard components are also sacrificed i little (dont hold me to it though). The XtremeAudio looks great if you have PCI-e slot free, we regain the connectivity, but still loose the X-RAM, remote quality connectors. From specs it also has a higher harmonic distortion and doesnt go as loud as the other X-fi counterparts.

Ill agree if you dont have some quality speakers you wont hear the difference bewteen the audigy and x-fi series. Although i will note that i believe you would hear the difference with some Z-5500's as they are a great set of 5.1 speakers in the lower price range. I bought some Z-5400's for my dad for chrissy one year and they shocked the hell out of me. Mind you my AVR with floorstanders centre and bookshelf rears with sub kick the **** out of them ;) 

EDIT: oh by the way i own a older X-fi that you cant seem to get anymore (they changed the name) its equivelent to the X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion Series though and it rocks
December 27, 2007 8:34:13 PM

chookman said:

Although i will note that i believe you would hear the difference with some Z-5500's as they are a great set of 5.1 speakers in the lower price range

I agree you probably would hear a difference, but i don't think it'd be worth spending that much on a sound card. I myself got an x-fi fatality as i'm running a £10k stereo (It's me dad's old one yet it's still fab: Wilson Benesch ARCs with Audionet Amp + CD with Nordost cabling, it's absolutly brilliant). If i was running something similar to the z5500s i'd get something from the low end of the x-fi range.
December 27, 2007 9:23:33 PM

quantumsheep said:
I agree you probably would hear a difference, but i don't think it'd be worth spending that much on a sound card. I myself got an x-fi fatality as i'm running a £10k stereo (It's me dad's old one yet it's still fab: Wilson Benesch ARCs with Audionet Amp + CD with Nordost cabling, it's absolutly brilliant). If i was running something similar to the z5500s i'd get something from the low end of the x-fi range.

My god father... the resale value on my car wouldnt be worth as much as the resale on that stereo... My 5.1 cost me ~5k AU... Car 12K AU but since ive put 100,000 kms on it so id be lucky to get 7-9k for it now
December 27, 2007 9:56:39 PM

Nordost cabling hahahahaha theres the biggest waste of money for a stereo imaginable. lolololololololololo you'd get the same results from 3 dollar wire from monoprice. o god that puts a smile on my face lolol
December 27, 2007 10:16:32 PM

One big difference in Vista - X-FIs have some support for A3D (mapped to EAX for some games). Audigies don't, so you get no 3D sound at all.
December 27, 2007 10:18:39 PM

x-fi is the worst sound card you can buy. do some research. Your much better off with the older Audigy
December 27, 2007 10:36:09 PM

cruiseoveride said:
x-fi is the worst sound card you can buy. do some research. Your much better off with the older Audigy

What in the hell are you basing this off? you cant just come into a thread and state i one line post like that with no evidence
December 27, 2007 10:40:21 PM

the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 is a good high end xfi card.
December 27, 2007 10:41:55 PM

n8dogg said:
Nordost cabling hahahahaha theres the biggest waste of money for a stereo imaginable. lolololololololololo you'd get the same results from 3 dollar wire from monoprice. o god that puts a smile on my face lolol

Although i had not heard of Nordost i looked them up and they indeed have some nice cabling. Admittedly i didnt pay that much for mine (~$10 AU a meter i think) but i also didnt have a £10k system.

What are you basing your comments off? Your 2.1 no-namers that you bought in the local bargin bin after they were thrown off a truck? From comments like these its easy to see who are audiophiles and those that dont have any appreciation for quality.
December 27, 2007 10:44:20 PM

Joe_The_Dragon said:
the Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 is a good high end xfi card.

Ive actually recommended this a few times also. All the features of a Creative X-fi, with the driver support (in progress) of Auzentech... and with better quality components.
December 27, 2007 11:10:55 PM

X-Fi doesn't sound in Linux though, if you care that is.
December 27, 2007 11:34:42 PM

i havn't had a x-fi card as of yet, but at the moment i love my audigy as it really gets the job done for the game i play: BF-2142.

is there anyone hear who has had both cards and can tell the difference in both? if it's a wide margin, then i'm going fatality pro/champion (gotta make my mind up as to witch one!) at the start of '08.
December 27, 2007 11:40:23 PM

I went from an Audigy 2 Value to a X-Fi ExtremeMusic and haven't looked back, was well worth the switch in my opinion.
December 28, 2007 8:27:38 AM

n8dogg said:

Have you ever compared the two? There is absolutly no contest between them, with cheap cabling the sound is just terrible. It used to be widley believed that cabling could make no difference but with the nordost cables people have actually started to realise cables play a big part in the overall sound reproduction (Quality of the signal etc etc).

If you really want i can find you numerous reviews throughout the internet, from very reliable sources, that prove this point. You obviously no nothing about the world of the audiophile.
December 28, 2007 9:10:08 AM

n8dogg said:

You just absolutely have no idea what you're talking about. Sometimes it's better to shut up and listen. Might be you'll learn something...
December 28, 2007 10:47:37 AM

Well I think I'll agree with N8dogg without the lol'ing and haha's. Simply because I don't think my ears after years of abuse from various types of loud car stereos and home stereos could tell the difference between a 1000 dollar system and a 10,000 dollar system. of course I'm also the kind of person that thinks Bose is over rated and overpriced.

But i can tell the difference between onboard sound and say an Audigy and will pay for the improvement. and since the average joe isn't an audiophile either that makes that expensive cabling laughable for him and other average joe's.

Myself I'm happy with my original Audigy and my Logitech X-230 2.1 setup, and my $20 Radioshack headset for quiet gaming. Although I'd rather have my broken Sennheiser's back as they were super comfortable and sound better than the Radioshack headset.

Edit: I do not agree with the comment about getting the same results from $3 wiring though
December 28, 2007 10:59:40 AM

chookman said:
Quote:
cruiseoveride wrote :

What in the hell are you basing this off? you cant just come into a thread and state i one line post like that with no evidence

I believe he is going off of the ruckus everyone was creating early in the X-fi's life with horrible drivers* and of course lousy support from Creative.

* Due to horrible driver's, lots of users were complaining on Creative's forums about the issues they were having with their X-fi's from crashing to incompatibility. I had a friend who after having major issues returned his X-fi and exchanged it for a Audigy 2 ZS. His issues included occasional random crashing to his mic not working properly or sometimes not at all.

Edit: I added the quote from cruisoveride to Chookman's quote to show what he was referring to.
December 28, 2007 11:17:20 AM

Quote:
In the words of Samual L. Jackson: "Evidence mother f&*(er, you need some"

Quote:
* Due to horrible driver's, lots of users were complaining on Creative's forums about the issues they were having with their X-fi's from crashing to incompatibility. I had a friend who after having major issues returned his X-fi and exchanged it for a Audigy 2 ZS. His issues included occasional random crashing to his mic not working properly or sometimes not at all.
I had the mic not working problem when I initially set it up, but all you have to do is correct the default settings. (Since the MIC / Fiber / Line In share the same port, it doesn't know what device is set there to begin with) After changing the recording device to microphone and taking off the default mute, I haven't had any trouble. Is it possible that your friend also had onboard audio enabled at the same time? I know this would cause odd conflictions.
December 28, 2007 12:06:31 PM

I have had both (Audigy/X-FI fata1ty) and now use the on-board sound. Why, because I only use a 2.1 setup and they all sound the same to me. I never liked the unnatural over the top sound that EAX offers.

As for sound quality on the same system I can't detect a noticeable difference. My Blitz Formula has an above average on-board solution so that may be part of it.
December 28, 2007 12:16:48 PM

I have the Klipsch 4.1 speakers. They dont sound bad but I am sure that they are not as good as the really high dollar speakers you guys speak of. Also I might upgrade later but still not to the really expensive speakers that you guys are talking about. I would probably upgrade to the logitechs or something.

Also if I get the regular X-fi http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...
I can save like $45 or so.

So at this point is the Fatal1ty worth the difference and would the card in the link be that much better than what I already have?
December 28, 2007 12:29:49 PM

Heh... I'm mainly deaf, so sound cards are not my strong point in PC's. I agree that I can't tell the difference between game play, MP3 music, or just regular window sounds. And placing the speakers to surround me, makes me feel... constricted to be careful not to trip over wires. :lol: 

However, the only way I could actually tell a difference on sound cards, was the midi music to were actual sounds are emulated.

Not exactly sure if this would be the same on these types of cards though. :oops: 
December 28, 2007 12:32:34 PM

I completly agree with cliffro. most people aint audiophile and wont tell the difference betwen one or other. most sound cards and sound systems are good enough for the average joe's. frame rates you may have an improvement.
December 28, 2007 12:36:44 PM

cliffro said:
of course I'm also the kind of person that thinks Bose is over rated and overpriced.

That's because Bose are over rated and WAY WAY overpriced. They're for people with more money than sense.
December 28, 2007 1:01:25 PM

Quote:
Heh... I'm mainly deaf, so sound cards are not my strong point in PC's. I agree that I can't tell the difference between game play, MP3 music, or just regular window sounds. And placing the speakers to surround me, makes me feel... constricted to be careful not to trip over wires. :lol: 
Yeah, this is what made me use headphones for so long. I'm currently working on a project for ceiling mounted 5.1 surround sound though. All wires go through the wall, up to the attic, and back down... so no wire mess. :sol: 
December 28, 2007 1:12:16 PM

That seems an aweful lot of work just for speaker wires... but ya, projects do shine the most with good old fashion work. :D 

I guess there are no midi users here. The old games used to use midi files for music, but I guess those who use actual instruments hooked up to the PC would actually perhaps benefit more on brought sound cards. I remember my dad used to mess with midi files to change the sounds of instruments, and that was perhaps when I started noticing a difference when I used my PC vs his, which we both did use different sound cards.

But anyhoo.. I'm pretty much happy with just the onboard Reltek HD, and wires all over the carpet near the wall instead of all over the place, which I'd prolly end up doing (surround sound system), instead of drilling holes in my dad's home.

:lol: . o O (I even hate it when I step on headphone wires and get a kink in my neck)
December 28, 2007 1:27:08 PM

One thing is is that the modern Realtek HD integrated cards aren't that bad at all. They may not be up to the standard of an X-fi but for you're average user they're way more than enough, especially considering most people don't listen to music at anything more than 192kpbs (I myself find that sacrilege, it's either lossless or 320kbps).
December 28, 2007 1:36:22 PM

Unless you have serious high-end speakers, and games that take advantage of the X-ram on the fatality cards just get the X-fi Xtrememusic version of the card. I picked one up two weeks ago at CompUSA for $60.

Better than integrated HD, and unless you have real sensitive ears or your game is really gobbling CPU every last cycle, it will do just as well as the Xtremegamer or Fatality card for a lot less.
January 3, 2008 12:00:48 PM

Armour said:
I am thinking of getting a new sound card. I have the audigy 2 now and I was thinking of upgrading to the X-Fi. Would I notice that much of a difference between the two. I mean the X-fi extreme gamer is $135.

I do play games and that is why I am considering buying a new sound card.

I just built a new system and was trying to decide about whether or not to upgrade the sound card.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Also if I posted this twice I am sorry about that.

I have both cards and there is only a small difference that you can actually hear......save your money and keep the audigy 2......as it does sound great anyway.....I do have the Klipsch thx 200 watt speakers to boot and the audigy is fine....obviosly I use the xfi because I have it.......Take it from someone who had both
January 4, 2008 11:00:52 PM

Quote:
I myself got an x-fi fatality as i'm running a £10k stereo (It's me dad's old one yet it's still fab: Wilson Benesch ARCs with Audionet Amp + CD with Nordost cabling, it's absolutly brilliant).

I understand your reasoning about Nordost cable. But just for my curiosity why Creative as your sound card? The least equipment I can think of pairing those wonderful units is EMU.

I would have been drooling if you said you have it with D.A.L. or Aardvark.
January 8, 2008 8:49:53 PM

rexter said:
Quote:
I myself got an x-fi fatality as i'm running a £10k stereo (It's me dad's old one yet it's still fab: Wilson Benesch ARCs with Audionet Amp + CD with Nordost cabling, it's absolutly brilliant).

I understand your reasoning about Nordost cable. But just for my curiosity why Creative as your sound card? The least equipment I can think of pairing those wonderful units is EMU.

I would have been drooling if you said you have it with D.A.L. or Aardvark.

The problem being is i am a student so have very little disposable income - most of my very high quality stuff is my Father's "old" gear (in fact none of it is mroe than 4 years old!). As soon as i finish Uni and get a proper job i'm investing in a decent sound card.

However, i don't actually listen to much music from my computer. Always sounds much better from CD than it does from the computer.
January 10, 2008 6:10:39 PM

i recommend you to Upgrade to the X-fi Family, take the X-fi xtreme you don't need the Fatal1ty Edition, It will Increase games fps a little
January 10, 2008 6:50:18 PM

whoa!
Get the X-Fi. I had both and the X-Fi is better. Plain and simple...
better fps - YES, better sound - YES, better software/drivers etc. - YES
I am an Audiophile, and I DO hear the dif. between ANY card/spkr arrangement.
The Aud. 2 is good but the X-Fi is so much better that I had to switch.

Imagine sound expansion in both directions (low-hi) that equals the volume increase that you give it.

January 10, 2008 7:04:13 PM

quantumsheep said:
Always sounds much better from CD than it does from the computer.

Ummm of course its going to... you dont have compressed audio with CD's and generally you have less digital-analogue-digital-analogue conversions that tend to loose some highs and lows in the output.
January 12, 2008 5:29:18 PM

chookman said:
Ummm of course its going to... you dont have compressed audio with CD's and generally you have less digital-analogue-digital-analogue conversions that tend to loose some highs and lows in the output.

CDs are still very VERY compressed, isn't raw audio a couple of gigabytes per track or something ridiculous?

I actually tend to import all my music in lossless quality rather than converting it into a different bitrate. i really don't understand these people that can listen to music at 128kbps.
January 12, 2008 6:30:28 PM

quantumsheep said:
CDs are still very VERY compressed, isn't raw audio a couple of gigabytes per track or something ridiculous?

I actually tend to import all my music in lossless quality rather than converting it into a different bitrate. i really don't understand these people that can listen to music at 128kbps.

I refuse to get anything lower than 192kbps...

If CDs are still compressed where are we going to get anything better from?

Theres an excellent arcticle over at the rollingstone that explains a little on this topic, its main theme is how we are loosing the quality on our sound for that of convienence and i find it sad
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17777619/the_death_of_high_fidelity
January 14, 2008 5:51:52 AM

chookman said:
I refuse to get anything lower than 192kbps...

If CDs are still compressed where are we going to get anything better from?

Theres an excellent arcticle over at the rollingstone that explains a little on this topic, its main theme is how we are loosing the quality on our sound for that of convienence and i find it sad
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/17777619/the_death_of_high_fidelity

The next step is DVD Audio - but the industry is refusing to nail down a proper specification. They've been trying to do it for at least 3 years yet none of the major distributors can agree!
January 20, 2008 9:57:40 AM

DVD Audio and SACD (Super Audio CD) is been around since late 90's to early Millenium.

Like the High Definition format of HD-DVD and Blueray war, no company ever really wins because most consumers don't know about it.

The closest quality you get from compressing CD is lossless WMA or wave files. Both are lossless just the processing.

I use wave format because it's easy to remastered. Like quantumsheep I refuse to go lower than lossless. because even at 320kbps om MP3 I can hear the distortion if played a little bit louder than comfort settings, It sounds artificial and scratchy.

Next format of coarse is Hi Def Audio.
June 7, 2008 2:57:33 AM

Sup guys, not sure how old this post is, but im wondering like.. I have a Logitech Z-5500 and a X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Sound card, and im wondering what is the best sound card for mp3, wma play back.. I listen to alottttt of music, Hit me back if someone gets this.
!