I'AM NOT OVERCLOCKING!!!!!!

beta124

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Here's my problem. I recently built a new system and everything has worked well for 3 months until a couple weeks ago. I turn off my computer each night and when I turn it back on in the mornings it fails to boot properly. The POWER light and the HDD light will remain on but nothing happens. I can hear the fans running at a higher speed as the bios hasn't loaded and therefore the fan settings aren't being loaded. If I hold down the power button the system will shut off. If I press it again it will do the same thing. If I do this about 5 times it will eventually load properly but as it loads the bios it gives me an error: "Overclocking failed"
I'm not overclocking anything. It's completely stock.

Do you know what could be causing this?

I've tried all types of resets and unplugging.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Q6600
ASUS P5E WS PRO
8 Gigs Corsair DDR2 800 4-4-4-12
Corsair 750watt
4 HDD 500G
8800 GTS
x64 XP

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
8GB of RAM...why?!
Pull out all but one stick and test it to see if it boots....if not swap that stick for another and retest.

With XP and 2GB of RAM and a fixed 2GB Page File I can run 4 security programs,6 torrent uploads and play Frontlines:Fuel of War and -never- use more than 49% of the RAM according to Asus Prob II.

If none of the RAM will let the system boot...try another slot. If it still will not boot you may have strained the voltage supply on the MB to the RAM by trying to supply so many chips.
Just becuase you -can- install an overkill amount of RAM does not mean you should.

On my other systems with DFI Expert MB's the monitor program not only shows the PSU input voltages but also the voltage that the MB is -sending- to the RAM (not always what the BIOS is set to) and I watched one system slowly drop volts to RAM over 2 months time befor it would not boot while the PSU and Bios input volts stayed good.

EDIT: With a VOM and a copy of SAMS PHOTO FACT for your MB (or d/l a service manual from Ausus) you can -test- the RAM supply voltage input on the MB.

EDIT to EDIT: In fact you can ask -any- RAM maker which pins feed voltage to the sticks and use a VOM to test for real input voltages.
With a service manual you can fix the regulators or even beef them up.

Mondoman

Splendid
That's because stuff is being swapped out to leave some empty room. It's pretty clear that 3GB is better than 2GB under 32-bit XP and Vista, and more is better under 64-bit Vista (and almost certainly under 64-bit XP).
I use more than 2GB of RAM while playing BF2.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

No...the monitor says "physical" RAM.
What is clear is that many people have far more RAM installed than they will ever use.
I have found that XP not only runs programs faster but uses alot less RAM than Vista...and never has an issue running the programs.

With 4GB of RAM Vista wants to install almost a full GB of things you will almost never need to use "just in case" you ever want to do so.
This is why your Vista + BF2 uses up so much RAM. It is not the game that is doing it as it was written to run on XP with 1GB of RAM!

I know that those with Vista 32/64 who have not gone back to XP are very happy with it and I am happy for them...but the only real thing for gamers that Vista has is DX10 and we all know how little it is ever used,in fact alot of Vista users have -deleated- DX10 and installed DX9.

MS has said support for Vista is due to stop at the end of 2008...and has extended support for XP to end of 2010.

MegaBUD

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
Best OS for gaming is XP32 with 2 or 4 gig of ram (even if it see only 3.xx)

XP32 with 4gig ram > Vista64 with 999999gig ram

Zenthar

Distinguished
You might have to relax timing or increase RAM and/or Northbridge voltage.

When dual 4GB kit (2x2GB) is rated for 800MHz @ 4-4-4-12 and 2.1V (example), it doesn't mean 2 kits (4x2GB) will be able to run at the same speed with same voltage and timing. More DIMMs put more strain on the machine and some adjustments might be required.

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
ur powersupply is the culprit. corsair cmpsu tx750w are just unreliable. i had the same exact problems with one. swapped a antec neohe 430watt and the system worked perfectly.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I had the same problem with a Asus board it was the M3A it started saying the same error from a cold boot after a restart it would work fine. after a few days of getting that error I started having other issues such as usb not working, sound not working, etc. after a few reboots everthing went back to normal untill it would not post at all. After testing all my parts out in the pc I was able to determin the issue was the motherboard. I tryed several processors, serveral diffrent brands of Memory and Nvidia and ATI video cards and I tryed diffrent powersupplys but regardless of what I did the board was dead. It seems to me Asus might be sliping on there quality control. I have a friend who runs a computer business and for the longest time he used Asus and so did I but it seems like both of us have had a good share of bad ASUS boards ( I have had 3 bad boards. He has had close to 12 including 3 he sent back to Asus that still didnt work when he got them back) I really hope this helps you out sorry about the spelling normaly I spell check everthing before I post.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

I built with Asus for many years and have yet to have one live past the end of warrenty (I OC and run them 24/7).

For the most part I have moved on to DFI and away from Antec (crap PSU that also die as well) to PC Power & Cooling.
I get much better/higher OC's and do so at all stock volts!
See my forum profile for my "old" LAN system (7 DFI/PC P+C systems) that are OC 50% on air.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008

I don't have anything to add to this thread except:

WTF are you smoking ZOldDude?!

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Well I have only had issues with the OC'ed ones that run 24/7/365...have built some AMD 3200+ systems with A7N8X-E Deluxe MB's and only had 2 die over the years,but they are not run full time.
They (the Ausus MB or Antec PSU's) do not die from over heating/pwr draw but from leaky caps.

A few high end OC'ers MB's now charge extra for haveing solid caps that do not leak.
They get as much as another $100 for swaping from 6 cents parts to 7 cent parts (bulk prices)...a change that cost them no more than 25 cents!

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Not what I would like to be smoking!

The information comes from MS press releases as reported by CNET.com if you want to go Google it.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Sorry,I was editing the post and hit the wrong button.
Section Mod may deleat this extra post.

halcyon

Splendid
There's nothing wrong with running 8GB of RAM but I'd seriously recommend relaxing your timings. Roll it back to 5-5-5-12.

Can't get into the bios? You're gonna need to reset it, but when you do don't try to set 4x2GB sticks @ 4-4-4-12. Your rig is not likely to you trying to do that to her.

I'm speaking from experience and I'm running an Asus board myself.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

Uhh Googled and looked all over CNET, your full of ****. XP got extended to 2014, and a peliminary statement saying they would end vista support around 2012.