Sign in with
Your question

can u help me find good 120 mm quiet fans

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2007 3:37:38 AM

im looking for at least 4 fans they need to be 120mm and i would like them to have blue led's and low decibles, preferably around 30 or less, and a good working airflow, if you know of anything that would work please let me know, i really dont know much about fans, but id rather not pay more then 6-8 dollars a fan, a 3 pin connecter or 3/4 pin adapter would be nice, but not really needed, thanks much for the help
December 17, 2007 12:12:44 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Magnetic Barometric bearings, Google search it, you will see that they are friction-free, very quiet, and have the longest bearing life of any other fan bearing types including Sleeve, ball, dual ball, fluid dynamic, and so on.

It comes with a 3 to 4 pin adapter, and even the fan blades can come off for easier cleaning.

At $7, free shipping, and no S&H penalties for ordering more than one, this would be perfect, although no led's, you can always just get a couple of cold cathodes.
Related resources
December 17, 2007 12:12:50 PM

lol double post, wtf?
December 17, 2007 12:38:05 PM

FrozenGpu said:

Magnetic Barometric bearings, Google search it, you will see that they are friction-free, very quiet, and have the longest bearing life of any other fan bearing types including Sleeve, ball, dual ball, fluid dynamic, and so on.

It comes with a 3 to 4 pin adapter, and even the fan blades can come off for easier cleaning.

At $7, free shipping, and no S&H penalties for ordering more than one, this would be perfect, although no led's, you can always just get a couple of cold cathodes.
I read the negative reviews on these fans and I'm not impressed. It appears that they are junk. I guess what can you expect from a $7 120mm fan.
December 17, 2007 1:32:05 PM

i dont know why but its tough to get good advice on fans. Lots of deaf people i guess.

Look at the previous poster who suggested spending $XX on a fan controller. LOL. See what I mean about the bad advice?
December 17, 2007 1:57:10 PM

Quiet and good airflow are two combinations that rarely go along with each other. Except in the case with the Scythe S-Flex fan that moves 49 CFM with a very quiet 20.1 DBA. The thing is, it costs $15 a fan and come with no LEDs. Well if your looking for a quiet fan that works out of the box with no controller get these. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 17, 2007 2:02:55 PM

shadowmaster625 said:
i dont know why but its tough to get good advice on fans. Lots of deaf people i guess.

Look at the previous poster who suggested spending $XX on a fan controller. LOL. See what I mean about the bad advice?
That's better than your advice.
December 17, 2007 2:16:37 PM

Ok, first... Shadowmaster625 should stick to mastering shadows, because it's evident that he may not know much about computers... an airplane's propeller is just a giant fan, and it's absolutely silent when it's not moving, so don't throw judgment on something you've little-to-no insight on.

Fan controllers are a VERY good idea for those that want to lower the noise levels, especially some of the higher end ones... however, you should have one that controls the fan speed based on temperature, and does it automatically, so you're not constantly reaching down to adjust knobs... Also, this makes it to where the fans speed up (and increase in noise level) only under times of intense stress, like when you're gaming, when you won't really be paying attention to the fans at all. Check the THG reviews, they do review fan controllers from time to time, with the purpose of checking sensitivity of the thermostat, noise-reduction levels, real-world cooling performance, etc...

As for 120mm Fans themselves, try frozencpu.com instead of newegg... the people that actually review trivial stuff on newegg are for the most part, morons... they buy a fan because it looks good on a website and matches the color scheme of their computer... and they review it immediately after installation, without regard to lifespan OR performance 4-6 months down the road

For reference, read this:
* Near total silence - 0 dB
* A whisper - 15 dB
* Normal conversation - 60 dB
* A lawnmower - 90 dB
* A car horn - 110 dB
* A rock concert or a jet engine - 120 dB
* A gunshot or firecracker - 140 dB

Sourced from HowStuffWorks.com
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question124.htm

Now with those levels in mind, try these:

AeroCool 120mm Turbine 2000 Fan - BLACK $17.99 + Shipping
Air Flow: 37.44 CFM
Speed: 950 RPM +/- 10%
Noise: 19.66 dBA (17.0 dBA background noise)
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2466/fan-161/AeroCool...

AeroCool 120mm Turbine 1000 Fan - SILVER $17.99 + Shipping
(same as above)
Air Flow: 37.44 CFM
Speed: 950 RPM +/- 10%
Noise: 19.66 dBA (17.0 dBA background noise)
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2468/fan-163/AeroCool...

Cooler Master 120mm Blue LED Silent Fan (TLF-S12-EP) $12.99 + Shipping (probably the best value)
Air Flow: 42.734 CFM
Speed: 1220 RPM ±10%
Noise: 22 dB(A)
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2440/fan-129/Cooler_M...

STAY AWAY FROM SILENX FANS (Fluid Dynamic Bearings) although they're near totally silent (14dB) they don't last long at ALL...

If you've never seen the brightness of a Cold Cathode Flourescent Light (CCFL) you should check these out:

Logisys 120mm Blue Dual CCFL Ring Fan $14.99 + Shipping
Air Flow: 42.31CFM
Rotation Speed: 2800~3200 RPM
Noise Level: 22dB(A)
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2469/fan-164/Logisys_...

Logisys 120mm UV Blue w/ Dual UV CCFL Ring Fan $14.99 + Shipping
Air Flow: 42.31CFM
Rotation Speed: 2800~3200 RPM
Noise Level: 22dB(A)
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2470/fan-165/Logisys_...

The difference between the 2 above fans is the bottom one is a slightly blue casing with UV (blacklight) rings, rather than blue.

For more information, I whole-heartedly agree with KyleSTL and Skittle, in that you should check out http://www.SilentPCReview.com as they're an excellent resource for quieting a noisy rig, or taking a quiet computer and silencing it entirely... Sometimes though, you should consider replacing the Case rather than the Fans if you're looking for silence... Consider that, if your case is low-quality (micro-thin aluminum, older steel, it's been sat on, etc)

Hope this helps you! - Mark
December 17, 2007 2:49:03 PM

I use Antec TrueColor 120mm Red Led Fans, they have adjustable speed settings (3 volume/performance levels) via a switch, and look GREAT. The leds are very bright, and they have the 3 pin plugs with very long wires to route them cleanly and neatly to your motherboard or 4 pin PSU connectors.

I have (3) Antec 120mm Fans and (2) Antec Seperate 80mm Fans cooling my SLI Setup. They aren't noisy at all, and they are durable.
I cant help you with pricing though, I bought mine at Compusa in a rush build, and paid 19.00 dollars each for the 120's and 14.00 each for the 80's. You maybe able to find them online cheaper though.

Again they aren't very noisy for me.
December 17, 2007 3:27:26 PM

PLEASE try some blue fans and some red fans together and post photos. I think that would look cool :bounce:  :bounce: 
December 17, 2007 6:47:26 PM

In reply to DragonCyber, the Antec TrueColor 120mm fans are actually pretty good, and fairly quiet... the LEDs on mine are still bright, after almost a year of usage, and I feel confident in recommending them as well:

Antec 77095 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - Retail $13.99 Free shipping
Air Flow 56 CFM
RPM 1600 RPM
Noise Level 28 dBA

Cheers - Mark
December 17, 2007 7:25:22 PM

well i found some real nice yate loon ones that are 77 cfm and 33db (ik thats higher then i wanted, but i go a fan controller) and to "aevm" i have built a case with red blue and purple led's it looks absolutly awsome, it reminds me of spiderman lol

and i do appreciate all the suggestions
December 18, 2007 4:19:04 AM

truromeo4juliet said:
the people that actually review trivial stuff on newegg are for the most part, morons... they buy a fan because it looks good on a website and matches the color scheme of their computer... and they review it immediately after installation, without regard to lifespan OR performance 4-6 months down the road
Very true, you do have to evaluate the reviewer and their abilities. That said, when a fan, or other product, gets a low overall score, with a bunch of reviews that are bad with solid explanations as to why, then IMO that is a good indication of it's lack of fitness.
December 18, 2007 1:01:33 PM

Yeah, I love my 1600RPM S-Flex (mod'ed PSU fan). And my 1900RPM Slipstream (WAY undervolted) in my HSF (low density fins). With hindsight I would go with a 1600RPM for my HSF (because of the horrendous noise of the 1900), but I'm still happy. They move a ton of air, without making a whole lot of racket (for an office, not living room).
December 18, 2007 7:35:04 PM

I have the S-Flex 1600rpm fans. I find them noisy.
December 18, 2007 10:43:37 PM

babybudha said:
I have the S-Flex 1600rpm fans. I find them noisy.

The thing is can you find a fan thats just as quiet and pushes the same amount of air? Good luck. S-Flex fans come in different speeds so you can fine the right fan you want. The 1600RPM fan are the fastest S-Flex fans sold, so if you want no sound at all then you should have gone with a lower RPM fan from S-Flex.
December 18, 2007 11:02:07 PM

systemlord said:
The 1600RPM fan are the fastest S-Flex fans sold, so if you want no sound at all then you should have gone with a lower RPM fan from S-Flex.

I have both the 1600rpm ones, and the 1200rpms. I find that above ~1050rpm, they are loud. Thats why I suggested these:

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14110AC0561&vpn=SY1225SL12L&manufacture=SCYTHE

At ~10dba, they push ~40cfm of air. The ratio of quietness to airflow is very good, considering the 1200rpm S-Flex only move alittle more with 49cfm, but with a ~20dba.

Also to note, the decibal scale is not linear, but exponential (Like the Richer scale). So 20dba is alot louder then 10dba.
December 18, 2007 11:54:48 PM

I was also recently looking for a really nice but quiet 120mm fan, I ended up going with this fan a Noctua NF-S12-1200.

I can say, noise level was one of my top concerns... I was ELATED when i finally installed the Noctua NF-S12-1200 on my Thermalright ultra 120 Extreme... AMAZINGLY quiet... I really can't say enough good things about it... I had a Coolermaster 6 piece of crap on my e6600 and I am amazed how much quieter the noctua fan is... completely silent at i run it all full rpms. I can't say the temperature drop of my CPU is due to fan since i'm 100% positive it's because of how incredibly well engineered the Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme heatsink is.
December 19, 2007 12:07:18 AM

babybudha said:
I have both the 1600rpm ones, and the 1200rpms. I find that above ~1050rpm, they are loud. Thats why I suggested these:

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=14110AC0561&vpn=SY1225SL12L&manufacture=SCYTHE

At ~10dba, they push ~40cfm of air. The ratio of quietness to airflow is very good, considering the 1200rpm S-Flex only move alittle more with 49cfm, but with a ~20dba.

Also to note, the decibal scale is not linear, but exponential (Like the Richer scale). So 20dba is alot louder then 10dba.

Nice find [:mousemonkey:5] I got the 1200 rpm S-Flex myself and like it, but this sounds better. [:turpit:2]
December 19, 2007 12:17:35 AM

Noctua s12 fans are fantastic. I have 5 in my rig and it runs very quiet. They are dammed expensive at about 20 a piece but they are quiet, cheap, durable, and move alot of air. You can run them at 800rpm or 1200rpm depending if you use the resistor adapter.
December 19, 2007 12:26:59 AM

Acousti Products has a line of low noise fans as well as anti-vibration mountings:

They also sell generic kits to soundproof cases as well as a few pre-cut kits that are specific for a certain case, such as the one for the Antec Sonota II:

They also sell a dustproof case with all the soundproofing improvements preinstalled. It has a washable dust filter to catch the dust (before it gets all over the heatsinks and insulates them).
December 19, 2007 12:29:47 AM

Don't go with the thermaltake that was proposed in the first reply. This is the same I have in my thermaltake Soprano DX case and it isn't silent at all. I bought this case after having a good impression with my old Big Typhoon CPU fan, that was really quiet, but this case fan is now almost the noisier, after my VGA fan, that is also a thermaltake one. The case is great, but not the 120mm fan nor the vga cooler.

Fan's that was really quiet are the Antec's one.
December 19, 2007 6:34:31 AM

babybudha said:

My Tuniq Tower 120 fan drowns out all my S-Flex fans, because when I turn my Tuniq Tower fan to very low I can hear the S-Fex a little more. There not loud by any means, you must have very good hearing. Also my computer room is not quiet with my TV running in the background with all the ambient noise.
December 19, 2007 6:35:51 AM

eric54 said:
Noctua s12 fans are fantastic. I have 5 in my rig and it runs very quiet. They are dammed expensive at about 20 a piece but they are quiet, cheap, durable, and move alot of air. You can run them at 800rpm or 1200rpm depending if you use the resistor adapter.

The S-Flex and the Noctua fans have got to be the two best fans out there today.
December 19, 2007 5:41:18 PM

systemlord said:
you must have very good hearing.

You have a point there. I am pretty anal how loud things are around me. I just really appreciate a quiet environment to work and play in. I'm one who like listening to high quality music and sound, but I do not like to overly blast it. Plus the quieter things are around you, the better you can hear all the little details in sounds (ie. music and gaming etc.).

December 19, 2007 6:15:34 PM

The best place to start looking for fans may be on ya case vendor's web site. Will make mounting and any support questions ya might have much easier. I have a lot of Antec Cases, and as a result a lot of Antec case fans.....on the kiddies boxes, they have the blue LED's as does the PSU. They do the job, they don't annoy me, they fit very nicely.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77042
December 19, 2007 7:06:40 PM

monste4321 said:
im looking for at least 4 fans they need to be 120mm and i would like them to have blue led's and low decibles, preferably around 30 or less, and a good working airflow, if you know of anything that would work please let me know, i really dont know much about fans, but id rather not pay more then 6-8 dollars a fan, a 3 pin connecter or 3/4 pin adapter would be nice, but not really needed, thanks much for the help

Good news and bad news... The good news is, the majority of fans are 3-pin and thirty dB isn't that much of a challenge really for a 120mm fan unless you're seeking a hurricane generator. The bad news is, you get what you pay for and eight bucks isn't going to buy you too much.

And now for the reality check... Variables such as bearing design, case and blade design, and motor design notwithstanding, parameters of fan speed, air flow and pressure, and noise will always be directly related. And so as you shop for a fan, be careful not to get taken in by low advertised noise numbers without scrutinizing fan speed and air flow specifications. What you're looking for is a favorable ratio of flow to noise to speed.

I did a ridiculously anal comparison of fans in the beginning of the year, including a spreadsheet with graphs mapping out the noise, speed and flow, and based on advertised specs and a bunch of reviews, picked up a couple of those odd Noctua fans. A week later I bought the Scythe S-Flex (featuring FDB) fans, and the Noctua fans went on eBay where I got back nearly what I paid for them. It turned out that the super-quiet Noctua fans exhibited really weird pressure losses when they were close to obstructions like fan grilles. My choices may not suit you since I didn't want LEDs however.

Another thought about noise goes back to the obstruction issue. I was able to reduce overall system noise immensely by cutting out fan grilles, since it's turbulence past those grilles that increase noise compared to a fan operating on a test bed. Those of you who love fancy laser-cut grilles will need to accept the tradeoff in reduced airflow and increased noise those will impose. If you have animals or children, I recommend against removing fan grilles.

Sorry if I'm giving you more questions than answers but I'd like you to make the right choice when you're ready to hit that "Buy Now" button.

[edit] Something else I just thought of... some people have already mentioned soft mounting accessories, but if you're really obsessive about noise you could also consider installing noise dampening materials into the PC's case panels. Doesn't do much for looks if you're in the lucite crowd, but it's all about tradeoffs sometimes.

-B
December 19, 2007 11:01:20 PM

babybudha said:
You have a point there. I am pretty anal how loud things are around me. I just really appreciate a quiet environment to work and play in. I'm one who like listening to high quality music and sound, but I do not like to overly blast it. Plus the quieter things are around you, the better you can hear all the little details in sounds (ie. music and gaming etc.).

You know the SilentX fans are truely quiet, I have one and the only thing to hear is the air flowing through it at three inches away. You might check one out sometime, I have never heard a quieter fan in my life. The other day when you said the S-Flex fans are a little noisey, I turn down my Tuniq Tower 120 fan to its lowest setting and I could hear the S-Flex fans a little. If I were to turn on my music it might bother me a little to.
!