Re-applying thermal paste

MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
In my new build, I just found out I ended up with 2 thermal pastes on my CPU-I applied Arctic Silver, and the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink had thermal paste already on it. Before I do anything, I have a few questions I would like to get your help on.

1) Should I worry about it at all? My e2180 CPU is overclocked to 2.8 Ghz, with temperatures around 45 C.
Even if I shouldn't worry about it, please consider the following questions as I would like answers for future reference:

2) Do I need to remover the motherboard from the case to be able to remove/replace the heatsink? If I don't need to remove the motherboard from the case, will it be really hard to replace the heatsink?

and 3) What is the best thing to use to remove the thermal paste, without leaving any residue left behind, and where can I find it? (BTW, it would be nice if it was something I could find around the house or just go out and buy, rather than paying shipping costs, etc.)

Thanks for any help.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
1) with that OC and those temps i wouldnt worry about it. You should however, monitor these temps at regular intervals for any changes.

2) with that heatsink you "shouldnt" need to remove the motherboard as the 4 locking pins can be turned to the unlock position this should allow you to lift the HSF straight off. Then for installation lock the pins then push them through the board (much the same as you did the first time i hope). However, i would advise to remove the mainboard as its generally easier less fiddily and less chance of a bad or incorrect seating

3)Arcti Clean and what ever the other one is called is considered very good. I have used "canned alcohol" before which seems to work well and easier to get. However, i find that metholated spirits or turpintine is just as good as anything (although ive never used Arcti Cleaning procedure).

MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Load! Sorry for not specifying, but if I had 45 C idle I would die :p
I don't want to get temperatures above 55 C, max.

Oh, by the way, I looked at reviews of ArctiClean vs. alcohol, turpintine, etc., and ArctiClean does seem much better than those methods-at least it looks cleaner!

MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
I know I can go at least to 3 Ghz, but with these low temperatures should I be able to even go higher?

Anyways, I'm pretty cleared up-thank you!

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
What are you using for monitor your temps? Check CompuTronix's Temperature Guide in the Overclocking Section to make sure those are accurate readings.

Stick it up to 3Ghz ... you should be fine.

Make sure the case has very good airflow if your going to overclock it further.

If the load temps exceed 55 degrees then get an aftermarket HSF.

MaxRabbit

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007

I've read the guide-and to the best of my comprehension I'm doing everything right (although I find that guide very confusing). I'm using SpeedFan to read temperatures.

My case is an Antec Nine Hundred-no airflow problems at all there! Also, my HSF is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro-so I'm already covered on that!

Oh, and by the way, I'm not worrying about going past 2.8 Ghz, though I'm sure I could. I'm having no problems playing Oblivion @ ~50 FPS outside, and that's the most intensive game I currently have, so I don't care so much at this point in time about getting any higher of an overclock.