Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My First build

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 17, 2007 5:44:25 AM

I'm building my first system but I'm not sure if everything is compatible and if the power supply is sufficient for what I have now and if I wand to add another hard drive or other upgrades in the future. Here is my build:

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 37.99
Antec Sonata III Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply 129.95
SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive 104.99
EVGA 512-P2-N757-TR GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 149.99
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 TWIN2X2048-6400 67.00
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard 179.99
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 279.99

total 949.90 (minus some rebates)

I would like to keep the system around $1000

comments/suggestions?

Thanks
einmas

More about : build

December 17, 2007 6:44:01 AM

To much information there, what are you going to use the computer for? If its for gaming then your graphics card is way to low-end to run most games like Crysis, Bioshock and most newer games that are coming out. I'm going to guess that its a gaming machine because of the Nvidia mobo, I would recommend nothing less than an 8800GT. If you keep everything you have now on the list except for the graphics card add $150 more for the 8800GT.

The 8800GT 512MB card gives the 8800GTX a run for its money being half the cost. I tell you one more thing, if you even think about using the power supply that comes with the case don't come running back here for help when you damage your hole computer. "The power supply is the most important part in the computer."

Systemlord :sol: 
Related resources
December 17, 2007 9:47:56 AM

systemlord said:
if you even think about using the power supply that comes with the case don't come running back here for help when you damage your hole computer. "The power supply is the most important part in the computer."

Systemlord :sol: 

The power supply is the most important component. In this case however, the Antec Eartwatts that comes in that case is a good quality, no frills PSU. It is the only brand I trust for combos. This PSU has good amperage on the 12v rail, and is more than adequate for the build above, even if an 8800gt is added.
December 17, 2007 9:50:34 AM

einmas said:
I'm building my first system but I'm not sure if everything is compatible and if the power supply is sufficient for what I have now and if I wand to add another hard drive or other upgrades in the future. Here is my build:

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 37.99
Antec Sonata III Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply 129.95
SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive 104.99
EVGA 512-P2-N757-TR GeForce 8600GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 149.99
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 TWIN2X2048-6400 67.00
ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard 179.99
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 279.99

total 949.90 (minus some rebates)

I would like to keep the system around $1000

comments/suggestions?

Thanks
einmas

You could go with the Gigabyte P35-DS3L MB, and an 8800gt video card and have a much better system for the same money. The Gigabyte MB is also upgradeable to the next gen 45nm Penryn processors.
December 17, 2007 10:55:41 AM

agree with tlmck ^^^^
swap youre mobo for a P35 and one 8800GT if youre not going sli in the future.
the rest looks good.
December 17, 2007 5:08:59 PM

I have no plans for SLI so I'm going with the Gigabyte mobo and the 8800GT. Thanks for your help
December 17, 2007 9:44:42 PM

tlmck said:
The power supply is the most important component. In this case however, the Antec Eartwatts that comes in that case is a good quality, no frills PSU. It is the only brand I trust for combos. This PSU has good amperage on the 12v rail, and is more than adequate for the build above, even if an 8800gt is added.


Where does it list a PSU in the OP? I see a case with 500 watt PSU for 129.99.
December 17, 2007 10:01:05 PM

If the 8800GT is too big a jump the HD3850 would give you a good result for less cost.
!