Switching Mobo and CPU, xp reinstall needed?

spedkiller

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hi,
Tomorrow I am going to be receiving my case from newegg so I can start to put together my new build, but for this build I went with saving a few parts from my old pc, including the hard drive.
I think my situation might be a bit different from other peoples as I am going from an amd motherboard to intel.

My current setuphttp://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=T3418
Going to http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138132 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052

Now I am wondering what my options are,
Will I just have to reinstall windows and lose all my data? Or if I have to reinstall windows is there any way to save my data?
I also have a windows xp system recovery disc from emachines, which comes loaded with all the drivers for this prebuilt system, so wouldn't installing from that almost be the same as not doing it?

And if it is possible to not doing anything and use my current installation, I was told there would be some stray DLLs and my OS could be unstable some, would there be any way to stabilize it or get rid of unneeded DLLs?
Thank you for the help in advance and I hope this is the right section.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Your hard drive is from E- machines so it will not work without a reinstall of windows.

Your disk is E machines so it will not work on your new system, even if by some miracle you got it to boot, you would never get it re-activated.

You need to buy a OS and a new hard drive if you dont want to loose your files.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
You will need to reinstall windows. You will not be able to use the copy that came with the emachines computer. You cannot install it on a non-emachines motherboard. Activation is linked to the bios for oem systems. You will need to get a new copy of windows.

spedkiller

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I also think there is partition on my hard drive which it came with, but it can put it back to factory state and put all my files from my previous installation in a folder. Would this work?

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
+1 roadrunner197069 he is correct.

If you want to save your data you will need to 1. save the data to CD or DVD so you can use your old drive in your new system or 2. buy another hard drive. Either way you will have to purchase a new OS for the new motherboard.

It might work, but you should definitely backup your hard disk before moving it to the new system. As a matter of fact, if your data is important, it should always be backed up.

You need to add several registry entries before you switch that disk to the new system, otherwise the PC will crash with an error 0x0000007b and you'll never be able to make it work. Refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082 for more info. I've successfully used that procedure several times as it allows me to switch to a more powerful PC without a full reinstallation. If it works, you'll have to install several drivers for the new system, therefore make sure that you have them handy.

As pointed out by other members, the recovery CD that came with your E-machine will be useless with the new system.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Your link to Microsoft refers to moving the hard drive to a system with the same hardware components. The noob is building a new system with a different motherboard and chipset and a different cpu. he is going from AMD to INTEL. There is no way that he will be able to get that drive to work and even if it boots he will be contending with BSOD's. Better off with new HDD and OS.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
SpedKiller, If you try to put the hard drive in the new system as the primary drive you are going to have massive troubles.

The KB is very complicated and you can kill the system if you are not careful.

I recommend a new hard drive, and an oem version of XP.

Or a new hard drive and

Google, "world without gates torrent xp"

Then decide what you want to do.

Either way their are instructions that are required to be followed.

spedkiller

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Ok, I am getting a version of windows xp pro. My question is can I make a partition for windows xp Pro and save my home edition section and eventually copy over the files I need?

spork985

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
You might be able to use the windows copy from emachines again. I used the same copy of vista that came with my hp laptop on my hp laptop and custom desktop, both installed and validated perfectly.