Hardrive failure due to cpu overclock?

memoryguy

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I have my e6600 overclocked 3.0 and i've switched through two sata hardrives already. This second one is about to fail, and im about to take it in and exchange it at the store tommorow.

I've also had an IDE before, and I've used it with no problems with the overclock for months on end. But ever since switching to SATA, my hardrive starts failling approximately 3 weeks in.

Whats the deal? =/

Are you sure it is not just hard drive corruption, needing Windows reinstall?
Run Prime95 to check for errors. Make sure you enable round off checking.

Add a front fan for the hard disks. It would help the hard disks longevity.

truehighroller

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2006
If you are overclocking the PCI-E frequency then you will get drops and stress the hard drive yes. You should leave the PCI-E frequency at 100Mhz. I learned that the hard way myself I went through like 6 hard drives and figured that out finally. No one ever talks about that issue for some reason. There is a bug in the new raid controllers/ new chipsets as well where you make the raid drop by messing with the PCI-E frequency and the controller will no longer like the hard drives.. That was actually the issue I kept running into and had to figure it out myself. I have left my PCI-E frequency at 100 ever since and had no issues ever since.. I have three drives in Raid0 right now.

firebird

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2004
I would agree that you should keep PCI and/or PCIe spread sprectrum turned off when overclocking, and make sure the speed is set to 100 if you think it's causing issues. there are some that will keep the PCIe frequency up as high as 110 to get that little extra out of the vid card.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
From what Ive read, it seems that the SATA corruption happens about 120-125Mhz. Ive personally had mine as high as 112 with no ill effects, but couldnt muster the courage to go any higher.

memoryguy

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I've already done a fresh install on this hardrive... same thing. This thing is broke. There are random wierd noises, and a host of all that junk that goes with hd failures.

Oh, and when i lock the PCI-E at 100mhz.. my computer doesn't boot. However, I've always had PCI locked at 33mhz.

What does PCI-E frequency have anything to do with SATA drives?

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
well technically every frequency you adjust had something to do with the HDD or anything thats inside the computer.because every single component talk to each other via lanes in the mobo and chipset.if you adjust the frequency.some lane might be out of tune or got taken up by other lanes.you can look at it that way.the HDD always see it as 100mhz though.so they will output no more or no less then 100mhz.

say like 2 person(CPU) is sharing a plate(chipset) for eating cookies(data).the dish can have a max size of 10cm2(max overall PCI-E 220mhz).for default they eat a 4cm2(PCI-E 100mhz) cookie each.so there will be 2cm2 left(some OC headroom).the plate will alow them to have 2x5cm2 cookies on the plate.but if you have 7cm2(PCI-E 125mhz) cookie on it.there will be 4cm2 worth of cookie outside the plate,and if they(CPU) only allow to eat(process) what's inside the plate(actual data going through the chipset).so some of the cookie(data) will go missing(as seen by CPU).hence data curroption as they call it.

im not sure if that make sense.im kinda drunk and sleepy now.correct me if im wrong.:D

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Very unique, in more direct terms the SATA controller on the motherboard communicates on the PCI-E bus, however, it doesn't respond well to overclocking, and as you approach the 125Mhz barrier the controller will start to corrupt the data on your hard drives.

What motherboard are you using? Perhaps someone with experience with that model can shed some light on how to get your OC working without killing hard drives.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
B-Unit brought up an excellent point. If you did not lock your PCI-E bus to 100MHz, you may be getting corrupt data. I don't think the actual data on the HD is corrupted, just when it's transferred to the motherboard or such.

memoryguy

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
I'm bringing back this thread I started 2 years ago and I'm really feeling the need to keep the overclock at 3.0 now. Now more so than ever, with these aging parts...

I still can't get my computer to boot when I lock the PCI-E at 100.

Can anyone please shed some light? Like I previously said, I went through 2 sata hardrives and have kept the cpu at stock 2.4 speed ever since.

When I had my cpu at 3.0, everything worked fine for about a month before you start hearing sounds from the hardrive. Once I started hearing sounds, the computer started stalling and locking up.

If anyone can provide any guidance or help, it is much appreciated.