Sign in with
Your question

AM2+ Motherboards for Phenom 9500?

Last response: in Systems
December 17, 2007 10:46:16 AM

Sorry for posting another "I don't know what to do" thread, but i'm really quite stuck as to what to do. I haven't bought an AMD board since the days of socket 754 so i don't really know what i'm looking for. I want a board to support the Phenom 9500 that will also let me overclock a little bit. So far the only board i've found is this one:

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Motherboards...

Only reason i've been looking at that one is because it's so cheap. All the other available boards are about four times the price! Does anyone know if that board is any good? It'll be used with 4GB of DDR2-800 and an 8800GT and all in an Antec Sonata III case.

Cheers for reading,

Quantum Sheep.
December 17, 2007 11:15:48 AM

from personal experience, ECS boards are hit or miss. I bought an AM2 ECS board early last year and it has been running strong with a slight overlcock til this day. 6 months ago I bought an ECS board and it fried itself doing light office work in a case with great airflow. I hear plenty of stories like this. I would personally spend a little more money on a better quality board.
Related resources
December 17, 2007 11:20:48 AM

Stop! 9500/9600 isn't what you want. The highest o/c out of 9500 I've seen is 2.7ghz. That's rubbish.

Wait for 9550/9650 that are bug-fixed. Also, AMD will release Phenom Black editions. ETA is anyone's guess.

Wait for Biostar 770 board. It will be cheaper than most 7x0 boards, except ECS's.
December 17, 2007 11:24:18 AM

The only rational reason I can think of buying a Phenom would be to go for 3 or 4 way CF. For that would would need an ATI card and a 790 board which is far more expensive.

The 4-way CF drivers are not out yet, but at some point in the future you are set. However, that would mean starting with a 3850 or 3870 card not an 8800.

Right now, the Phenom is significantly slower than the old X2 chips Clock for Clock and are clocked slower.

(The initial reviews were seriously over-estimated performance because AMD had increaed the NB chip for testers in the ES samples but slowed them on shipping chips due to stability issues. Furthermore, the shipping chip takes another hit once another stability fix is put into the bios which kills performance another large chunk.)
December 17, 2007 11:40:13 AM

The only reason i want a Phenom is to see what they're like. I already know how "bad" these are, it's just something i want. However, i seem to be getting very little feedback on the actual question i asked.

Does anyone have any valuable input?
December 17, 2007 11:48:52 AM

There are very few reviews available on the 770 Chipset.
Take your luck or try an older AM2 Chipset that is better reviewed.
December 17, 2007 12:24:00 PM

zenmaster said:
There are very few reviews available on the 770 Chipset.
Take your luck or try an older AM2 Chipset that is better reviewed.

Cheers for the advice. Do you have any recommendations as to what AM2 chipset i should be looking for? Just a broad idea would be great, then it gives me a much better chance at finding decent reviews.
December 17, 2007 1:33:55 PM

quantumsheep said:
The only reason i want a Phenom is to see what they're like. I already know how "bad" these are, it's just something i want. However, i seem to be getting very little feedback on the actual question i asked.

Does anyone have any valuable input?

With this mobo its no better than any AM2. Newegg doesn't even have this mobo as phenom compatible. If your wanting to know about spider I would suggest a 790FX mobo. AMD stated about a month ago MSI was the better mobo choice. Not sure why they did this but it has got high reviews on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130136

The Phenom 9500 should stack to about a 5600+ in dual core optimized code. Reviews show the X2 6400+ beating the 9600 in only dual core optimized code so its a strong quad. Make no mistake no dual core can beat these in reasonably optimized quad core code.

I would suggest you waiting until next month for spiders launch so its clear as to what performance you could expect. Are you look for the black edition phenom?
December 17, 2007 1:36:17 PM

where is nvidia 700 chipsets for amd?
December 17, 2007 2:37:47 PM

elbert said:
With this mobo its no better than any AM2. Newegg doesn't even have this mobo as phenom compatible. If your wanting to know about spider I would suggest a 790FX mobo. AMD stated about a month ago MSI was the better mobo choice. Not sure why they did this but it has got high reviews on newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130136

The Phenom 9500 should stack to about a 5600+ in dual core optimized code. Reviews show the X2 6400+ beating the 9600 in only dual core optimized code so its a strong quad. Make no mistake no dual core can beat these in reasonably optimized quad core code.

I would suggest you waiting until next month for spiders launch so its clear as to what performance you could expect. Are you look for the black edition phenom?

Really i just wanted to get myself a christmas present (Yes, i really am sad) that was just able to upgrade to one of the optomized Phenoms later. Guess i'll be forking out for one of the 790 chipsets then.
December 18, 2007 7:39:46 PM

See my recommendation as well, the 690G chipset works very well and was not much more then the board you had selected in the OP.
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2008 10:41:57 AM

Hi there! I too am moving on to an AMD (phenom ready) system later this year :p  As such i have been researching on AM2+ mobos and for under $100 range we have

1) ECS 770
2)Biostar T770 (as recommended by Akhilles, $82 at Newegg)
3) Asus M3A ($99, Newegg)
4) MSI K9A2-CF (supports crossfire, $99, Newegg)
Gigabyte 770 is @ $110 last i checked

P.S IIRC 780 chipset coming out tommorrow?? Better south bridge i heard...
!