cpu clock dont match..

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
hey guys, i have this problem. whenever i try to lower the cpu clock via bios setup CPU-Z and the windows "My Computer" properties dont match.. whats causing this? windows is reading the frequency via the cpu multiplier while cpu-z does a different calculation... which is which?

This is normal. Windows is reading your calculated speed (FSB x Multiplier) CPU-z is reading your current speed. When you are not using much CPU power, it is throttled down to save power.

Edit:

Windows could also be reading your CPUs speed from it's ID. I think it would show up as "Genuine Intel C2Q Q6600 2.4GHz @ 3.0GHz" or something like that depending on your CPU.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
im on amd. even with c&q turned off it still dont match

it says amd 2.11ghz on default. windows and cpu-z matches when im only playing with the fsb, but once i tackle the cpu multiplier thats what happens. geez its confusing me i dont know whats the real one lol

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
2.11GHz at stock? So that's an Athlon X2 BE-2350 (10.5 x 200MHz)?
Can you show us screenshots (with ALT+PrintScreen) of MyComputerProperties and CPU-Z (www.imageshack.us or the like for free image hosting)?

If it's just the stock value in properties and the underclocked value in CPU-Z everything is good. MyComputerProperties reads CPU name from WMI.

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Mine doesn't match either on my BF2/CSS Server. It's a Brisbane G2 stepping 2.5Ghz X2 4800. CPU-z correctly says it's running at 2.5Ghz but under system properties, Windows XP SP2 says it's running at 2.4Ghz.

Don't worry about it.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
ok i'll post some screenies asap..

something weird happened lol. i tried to DL the new cpu-z version (the one with the new loading screen), they dont mismatch now. but i can't do the 2.7ghz (i forgot how i reach this, 7x10.5 and 280fsb, cant remember) on cpu-z when i the mismatch was occuring. weird weird weird.. i'll do more test on this. i'll be doing more test with my old cpu-z (dl'd this last dec 12) vs the new one..

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
here's the screenshot of my system with matching data from cpuz.

matched_specs.jpg

i'll try to recreate the bogus mismatching

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
lol, darn it! the old cpu-z was doing the bogus mismatching check this out,

heres the screenie with the dec version of cpu-z:
mismatched_oldcpuz.jpg

oh btw i set the cpu multiplier @ 9.0 and 247 fsb, it seems here that the old cpuz disregards the changes i made on the cpu multiplier, sheesh.

i'll do another one using the new cpuz i downloaded.

edit: cpu multiplier was @ 9.5 at the time of this screenie not 9.0

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

yeah, lol. marcus fenix will shoot those shortcuts in time :D

3dmark 06 result didnt change when im on 10.5 cpu & 243 fsb and with the settings above. anyway i'll go with cpu-z then .