I have tried to create a bootable pen drive but it has been impossible. I have a ACER ASPIRE 5520 with Windows Vista. I followed these instructions:
1. First you need to format the pendrive or USB drive in NTFS format. (Make sure you are following this guide with windows vista installed)
2. This can be done by right clicking your pendrive icon and choosing format option.
3. Now from the start menu right click on command prompt and choose “Run as administrator”.
4. Now type the following commands.
5. diskpart .The disk part program windows will open.
6. Then type list disk.This will show the list of disks in your computer.
7. Note down the disk number of your pendrive from the list eg. Disk 1.
8. Type SELECT DISK 1
9. Now type CLEAN.
10. Now type the following commands by pressing enter after each one.
11. CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
12. SELECT PARTITION 1 (Assuming your pendrive/ USB drive is 1).
14. FORMAT FS=NTFS
16. EXIT(Now the disk partition program will exit). Now we need to give some more commands.
17. Now insert the Windows Vista Installation DVD and to your DVD drive.
18. Here i am assuming DVD drive as G and Pendrive as I.(Change it accordingly).
19. Now type G:CD BOOT
20. Now type this command BOOTSECT.EXE/NT60 I: to update your USB drive with bootmgr code.
21. Finally copy all the contents from the Windows Vista DVD to your Pendrive. Make sure you don’t cause any errors.
22. Now set the boot priority to your pendrive from bios and you can proceed with the installation as normal.
Now vista can be installed on any pc with the help of this pen drive you have just
But I could not find the command BOOTSECT.EXE
Please, if you have an easier way to create a bootable pen drive, let know. Thanks.