Do I really need thermal paste?

richhale

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Morning,

I did try searching for my thread question - but kept getting a 404 error on the search page :/

I removed my CPU heatsink to clear out a pile of dust that had accumulated.

I noticed that it had pulled away the thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU. I reseated the heatsink but my question is -

Do I need to replace that paste? My CPU is still operating ok.

Am I sacrificing speed? ie Will my CPU be operating at a higher temp than normal if the old paste is not effective now that I seperated the heatsink from the CPU?

Thanks for your help guys :)

Rich

Some thermal paste will cure (harden) while others will not. When cured paste is broken it must be replaced. It is not advisable to make a judgement call based on this and thus thermal paste should always be replaced when the seal is broken or when it is no longer functioning properly.

You MUST replace the thermal paste, the bare heatsink on the bare CPU does not transfer heat well at all, if you left the old stuff on there its going to be alright, but replacing it would be the correct thing to do as the dried out stuff isn't going to conduct heat well and any gaps or cracks will further hinder the transfer of the heat. Replacing the paste will drop your temps a notable amount.

G

you could use mayonnaise, toothpaste, pink lipstick or spray oil:
capture1pg.jpg

stay away from chocolate.