k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hi guys, i seem to have run into a problem. when i try to install the intel chipset driver from my motherboard website (gigabyte) it stops and a popup says you must have administrator rights to install this sofware? i have xp home sp2 and i AM the admin. i have tried the f8 method for safe mode and still the msg pops up. any ideas?

k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
doesnt work no matter what i do. i am administrator, its just that some things i cant access, like my intel chipset driver for some reason. i also got the xp cd from a friend who most likely pirated it. maybe this is the reason?

Check the user profiles in the control panel to make sure your profile is classified as having admin rights.

You can boot into safe mode with networking, and use the default admin account to install the drivers.

If you are listed as having admin rights, and still having this problem, you may want to run a malware scan. Make sure you scan while in safe mode with networking, and update the scanner before you scan.
www.malwarebytes.org/

k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
i tried installing the chipset in safemode and i tried scanning with malware bytes but nothing! i might as well give up, i dont think there is a solution, as i am totally sure that i am admin. just asking but do you really need a chipset driver for your computer, because right now my computer is obviously without a chipset but works perfectly fine. thanks

The chipset driver helps correctly identify the CPU, and tell the north and south bridge what they are capable of doing.

When you went into safe mode, did you try using the default admin account? If not, try that. While you're there, look at the user accounts, to verify that your account has admin rights.

k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
so the chipset is not needed as it obviously does recognize my cpu (dxdiag recognizes as i5). i went to safe mode , and i am admin. i tried installing the chipset in the admin account, and the msg still pops up saying that i must be admin to download the software. i dont think there is anything that i can do, so ill just leave it as it seems that a driver chipset is not all that important and my computer is functioning fine. thanks

k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
nothing is unstable in my system (at least not that i know of). but in my device manager theres question marks on other devices which are audio device on high definition audio bus (listed 4 times) and sm bus controller (listed once).

k3v1n_123

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
its not when i download the driver and get the admin msg its when i install it, and halfway through the installation the message pops up and says that setup will close. i have tried installing the driver on this computer (the one im using right now) and it just hangs (my guess is because its a very old computer)