Help me please with this problem!!

junior916xiv

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
Hello,
well i need some advise on my nephews hp pc that had windows xp home edition on it. it was running hella slow and he didnt have a recover cd for his old hp pc he has. so i had a copy of windows xp home edition (service pack 2) so i erased the whole hard drive and reinstalled my copy of windows xp home edition and after that i needed to activate the product key! so i tried to put the product key i have but microsoft tells me its wrong and to retry it again! so i downloaded a product key finder V1.0 and it came up with a different product key, so i tried to use the product key what the key finder found and still micro soft says its not right and to retry again!! so now im so confuse and dont know what to do any more!! the window xp exspires in 26 days if i dont activated! so can any one help me on this matter? or is there a way to fix it or hach it or any other way to make it work to activate it with microsoft activation?? some one please help me!! im not technical with computers but ill try any thing!! to whom it may concern thank you for helping me!! God bless all of you to!!

Activate the product over the phone, not over the internet.

georgejabr

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Hi Junior

1- Some pc comes with a built in " Windows XP recovery " (Without CD) . If it's the case with your nephew's PC, you might have re-install the built in version and not yours.
2- Are you using your copy of home edition for the first time ? The product key you are using might be incorrect. Check with your supplier.

jpd101

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Junior if your nephews pc came with proprietary windows xp cd meaning it said HP windows xp cd that might be the only cd you can install on that computer. if you were trying to install on another proprietary cd whether it be HP, Dell, or Gateway that will not work either those cds are designed for that specific computers and hard drives only. you'll probably have to buy factory windows xp cd with serial. or if it will work you can use any windows xp cd and order a new serial key.

Ok, the disk takes the key during install, but it wont let you activate online is that right?

If so, use the key on the COA sticker on the HP case. You can't activate online with this key, but you call the number it gives you and they will activate it over the phone for you.

TRENDING THREADS