Need advice on Encrypting whole Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi,

I need to send private data overseas on a hard disk.

It is 500 GB HDD with Win-7 Ultimate 64 bit.

It has 5 Partitions including system partition.

What is the best & Easiest way of Encrypting the entire hard disk ?

I don't mind spending to Buy any kind of software.

I did look at " Folder Lock " software which allows you to make individual lockers which are encrypted but I don't know how good that encryption is & whether the system partition can encrypted. It doesn't say what algorithm is used. Plus point is that it is fairly easy to use.

Does the type of algorithm make any difference ?

Thanks

You could use the built-in BitLocker encryption, but it would require the user on the other end have at least Win7 Ultimate in order to unlock the drive. You could also use Truecrypt. Either way you will have to transmit the key to the other party before the drive can be unlocked.

MeneerWitte

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012

:hello:

Kindly I ask your attention. :D

Well, it's all about what you want actually.

If you don't mind buying, buy one with all the options you want.

There are a lot of encryptions possible like, file/folder/directory/HDD-SSD/E-maill/Transfer files and whatever.
When I'm not mistaken, the highest encryption will be done with an 512 encryption key. And properly with an option for scanning it with an Anti-Virus program manually and the option for automatic.
And it has to have an Self Extraction option too. So the one how gets it, doesn't need the program, only the key.

A lot of it will not be used often, but when the program has it all, don't mind getting it. Better than spending ours searching on the net for a single program for just one job to do.

So, take your time and find the program you really want. Don't go for less if you don't have to. And take one that can be installed on the next OS you will have, if you are planning for a new system or OS :D .

:eek: , I don't have any idea witch program to buy/use. :non:

Hopefully I let you known enough and that you will find the answers you seek! :D

Good luck and have fun doing it! :D

Best Regards,

MeneerWitte

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

All the tools required for the other party will be given to him as money is not the problem at either end.

The question on my part is, without much of technical knowledge, how can I get the ultimate security with least effort & the whole drive is protected with minimal technical knowledge.

So where do I start ?

Thank You.

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Many Thanks for your reply.

As I replied to the other poster "ex_bubblehead", my requirements are clear with no limitation to the funds to do the job.

Soplease if you can, give me some names of software to do just that.

Many Thanks.

One word. BitLocker. There are 2 ways of encrypting the drive:

1. BitLocker-TPM. This requires TPM hardware in the PC/Laptop. Use this if you are sending the entire system.
2. BitLocker 2 go. This is used for external media. Use this if you are sending disk only.

There's plenty of documentation on line: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/bitlocker

The most important thing to keep in mind with any form of encryption is that if you lose the key/s the data is permanently inaccessible. So back up the keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS