Sign in with
Your question

The old question Chicken or egg, pwr sply or MB

Last response: in Components
December 28, 2007 12:28:23 PM

I have a ASUS-K8N-DL Powered by a Logisys PS480D. I am wondering if my Mainboard is fried, or if my power supply is bad. When I try to power up my system the lights come on for a second then go out. After that it will do nothing unless I unplug then replug and try again. Then it does the same thing. I am wondering if that is a tell tale sign of power supply failure or MB is crashing? I realize that the MB tells the pwr supply to come on full pwr. I also realize that a new supply is only $12.00. I would like to have a good idea that it is bad before replacing it. Any Ideas??
December 28, 2007 12:38:53 PM

Well.. one way to figure out if the PSU is bad, is using a paper clip and multimeter:

Tutorials | Turn on PSU without motherboard - the 'paperclip trick'

By power up the PSU without the MB you can then test the rails for voltage outputs 12/5v, if you know how to properly use a multimeter.

Once you figure out if the PSU is good/bad, then you can spend more time TS'ing the rest of the system.

Hope that helps.
December 28, 2007 1:29:45 PM

souinds likea faulty powersupply to me!
If you're gonna buy a new power supply then get a decent one...
Antec,Enermax, etc just look at the sites to get the best deals.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
December 28, 2007 1:46:30 PM

johnnyq1233 said:
souinds likea faulty powersupply to me!
If you're gonna buy a new power supply then get a decent one...
Antec,Enermax, etc just look at the sites to get the best deals.

Definately agree here. It could be a bad PSU, but you could test out your system, if you have another PSU or can borrow one from a friend. If the system works with another PSU, than you have found your problem. I'd never spend $12 on a PSU. Getting a solid and reliable PSU is very important. What are your system specifications? I'd recommend just about any solid PSU on the Tier 3 or up (Tier 2/Tier 1), but just need to know what we are dealing with.
PSU Tiers
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10...
December 28, 2007 1:51:03 PM

If you spend $12 on a PSU you will learn quick how important a good PSU is...
December 28, 2007 4:59:55 PM

fourth vote for power supply
December 30, 2007 11:55:41 PM

i wouldnt run out and buy a new one before the multimeter/paperclip test, hell i've had this problem caused by a faulty graphics card before! take out any non essential cards (even graphics if you must) and see if you can get power, then test psu
December 31, 2007 12:50:54 AM

haha, wow, i have the EXACT same problem. i just installed a new gfx card and i prayed to god my PSU would be able to handle it given its 500w. it ran okai for a week or two, and then it started giving out (PSU). and my system died on me...i opened my case, turned on the comp, the lights go on for one sec, and dies, and i can't do anything unless i unplug/replug the PSU, and same thing happens...but yea, got a new reliable PSU, and things are running well now. point/my advice is....get a reliable PSU, it'll save u a lot of hassle.
!