Is my SATA Hard drive configured correctly - Sandra test

Hi,
I'm not sure I optimized my Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Hard Drive correctly in BIOS.

Specs from NewEgg:
Barracuda 7200.11
Model ST3500320AS
Performance Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s (What does "3.0Gb/s" mean?)
Capacity 500G
RPM 7200 RPM
Cache 32MB
Average Latency 4.16ms

I have Sandra software to test it. But don't know how to proceed.

_or_

What do i look for in the Device Manager?

thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about sata hard drive configured correctly sandra test
  1. As far as modern computers go, there really isn't anything you can do to "optimize" the performance is the BIOS. The BIOS of a computer will automatically check and configure everything as far as a single hard drive is concerned.

3Gb/s means that the HDD internal controller supports transferring data at 3 gigabits per second, hence the 3Gb/s. However, modern hard drives are actually unable to read or write at the full 3Gb/s speed. You need solid state drives to see these kind of speeds. However, that is a bit off topic.

There are, however, a few things that can be "optimized" in the operating system. Make sure that you have the most up-to-date controller card drivers. Usually, the hard drive is attached directly to the motherboard, so these drivers are from your motherboard manufacturer.

Other than that, the best way to "optimize" a hard drive is to make sure that you keep it consistently defragmented, and don't let it fill up more that 85% (or else NTFS has issues maintaining any kind of performance)

Good luck,
    Nick

PS: I keep saying "optimize" in quotes because there really is no way to optimize a hard drive in the way that I'm thinking your thinking. Hard drives are pretty simple devices as far as the computer is concerned, and excessive tweaking really doesn't go anywhere.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SATA Storage