Last response: in Overclocking

Arctic Cooling MX-2 VS. Arctic Silver 5

Total: 106 votes (81 blank votes)

• Arctic Cooling MX-2
  • 56 %
  • Arctic Silver 5
  • 45 %
May 28, 2008 1:57:33 AM

Pick For Me A Thermal Cooling Compund Of These 2 That You Think Is Cooler And Whatnot, If You Can Post Why You Chose This Compound.

Arctic Cooling MX-2

OR

Arctic Silver 5
May 28, 2008 3:58:24 AM

Both are great, but if you are using a HDT heatsink, or rather a heat sink with a copper base/heatpipe, use Arctic Silver. I believe that the MX-2 is silicon based, so it'll oxidize the copper faster, which you do not want.

Some people also have claimed Arctic Silver lasts very long while the MX-2 doesn't. So if you're a lazy guy, never changing paste for 1+ years, I'd go with AS5. If you change paste regularly, perhaps every 6months, the MX-2 would be a better choice.
May 28, 2008 10:40:56 PM

I'm using an Thermalright Ultra 120-Extreme and i won't be lapping it.
Related resources
May 28, 2008 10:51:36 PM

+1 for the AS5.but i heard the upcoming Zalman thermal paste is preety good as well.check it up.
May 28, 2008 11:35:09 PM

Coolio_alert said:
I'm using an Thermalright Ultra 120-Extreme and i won't be lapping it.

Better to lap it, its base is like a sphere
a b K Overclocking
May 28, 2008 11:35:42 PM

Of the choices you listed - MX-2. MX-2 is not silicon based - it's aluminum oxide. It's also non conductive and no curing time required. Most reviews say its easier to apply. The MFGR says one application will last up to 8 years.

There may be better choices out there. Here are two large reviews of some of the choices out there:
HardwareLogic TIM review BenchmarkReviews TIM comparison
!