\windows\system32\config\system....missing or corrupt plz help !!

chocobaby

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Hi everyone i hav a biiiggg problem ! wen i start up my computer it comes up with this :

\windows\system32\config\system....missing or corrupt

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM . Select "R" at the first screen to start repair

i hav no idea what this means or how to fix it . i hav the oorginal windows CD .

here wat happened b4 this error came up : i was trying to install ubantu , i put the idisc into the drive and it loaded it up- then it went to the partition bit wher i selected 9gb out of the possible 11.5gb... i left it to do its own thing 4 a while then wen i came bac to the computer it said error and that it couldnt partition the drive...so i eneded the installation. then wen i turned it back on and started up windows it came up with a msg saying that my page file sumthing was to small and u must go to the system conrtol place and change it... which i did .. after that it said it needed to restart and that wen this msg popped up and now i cant do anything and i really need my comp 4 the assignment im doing which !!! plz help me !!!! thanks !

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM

This message says the system boot files are missing or have been corrupted. If the Windows Xp operating system is still intact (you have not erased the XP from the hard drive) this instruction will repair the system bootfile. A repair install would accompolish a repair of the bootfiles also.

1) Configure your computer to boot from the CD drive.
2) Insert your XP CD and boot from it.
3) You'll see some files being copied, then you'll be presented with a choice of installing or
repairing an existing installation. Choose Repair.
4) You'll be asked which XP installation you want to log into. Enter 1. There is usually only
one installation.
5) You'll be prompted for the Administrator password. For Home, the default password is blank, so just hit Enter. For Pro, enter the same password you did during setup for the Administrator account (this is not the same as the password for an Admin level account. It must be the Administrator account password).
6) At the C:\Windows prompt, type FIXBOOT. You'll be prompted to confirm. Do so.
7) When FIXBOOT is finished, remove the XP CD and type EXIT and the machine will reboot.
Reconfigure your computer to boot from the hard drive if necessary.

chocobaby

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Thnks 4 ur quick reply !!!!!
how do u configure to boot 4rom the CD ?
and i have two options ...

1)/TEMP
2)/windows

sooo which 1 do i choose ??
thanks again !!!

chocobaby

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
alright i've done wat u said.. but it doesnt work :( after i restart the :

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM

msg rocks up again :(

any other advice ???

still thanks again !!

Hi everyone i hav a biiiggg problem ! wen i start up my computer it comes up with this :

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM . Select "R" at the first screen to start repair

The error message means the system boot files are missing are corrupted

i hav no idea what this means or how to fix it . i hav the oorginal windows CD .

Repairing the boot files as I outlined, a repair installation of XP or a fresh installation of XP are all possible ways of 'fixing' it.

here wat happened b4 this error came up : i was trying to install ubantu , i put the idisc into the drive and it loaded it up- then it went to the partition bit wher i selected 9gb out of the possible 11.5gb... i left it to do its own thing 4 a while then wen i came bac to the computer it said error and that it couldnt partition the drive...so i eneded the installation.

In the least, this wrecked the XP boot files. Doing this could have wrecked the XP installation beyond repair, not sure. A reinstallation of the XP OS may be necessary. If you are unfamiliar with how to install XP OS get some help from someone there that knows how to install the OS.

then wen i turned it back on and started up windows it came up with a msg saying that my page file sumthing was to small and u must go to the system conrtol place and change it... which i did .. after that it said it needed to restart and that wen this msg popped up and now i cant do anything and i really need my comp 4 the assignment im doing which !!! plz help me !!!! thanks !

You are likely going to need someone with experience in repairing or reinstalling windows XP present to help you.

The thing about that message is I have performed a fixboot with the install CD and my system booted right up to desktop. I believe the boofiles may be regarded as part of the registry in this instance. I have also repaired the registry manually in a manner the link suggests. Took me hours, but it worked.

Performing a fixboot worked to get back to desktop when this message appeared. There may have been other registry problems after I got there. Which I repaired manually taking hours.

chocobaby

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
thanks again badge !!! and thanks grumpy9117

i just remebered sumthin else as well ... after i restarted after the failed installation and partiotioning for linux.. the XP HDD checker thing came up and started checking files .. but i wasnt looking and it carried on soo i couldnt exit.....i saw that it was deleting sum stuff like (sumthin( i dont know exactly wat it said)) "128" " "

grumpy9117 i went to microsoft and entered in manually lines that were sugested by the ms website
( md tmp copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak & so on)

after i restarted it worked wen i selected windows.... but then it starte da HDD consistency check thing...I tried to end it but i cant use the keyboard- i could press the keys but they wouldnt doing anytin- i treid the NUMLOCK and CAPSLOCK keys to see if the light would change but they didnt ..... so the HDD thing fin and i thought that windows was workin again but alas, it comes up with a big msg box with a the red cross thing (every1 loves ) sayin somethin aout security and that i hav to restart -- but i cant !! coz the keyboard is not workin! so just cut the power and restarted but the same thuinig happened......any sugestions or should i just go wit re-installin windows again ???

thanks again 4 ur input guys i really appriciate it !!!

jc lee

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I tried a few things people said, but kept getting "C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt".

I put in a eScan Rescue Disk and let it run and find and fix the problem.

After it was done, I turned on my computer and it ran fine.

you can download eScan Rescue Disk at:

http://www.escanav.com/english/content/company/technologies/escan_rescue_disk.asp

IT WAS EASIER THAN THE OTHER THINGS THAT PEOPLE SAID TO DO.
AND IT WORKED.