Computer shuts on and off

ScottL4784

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
I have read quite a few of these but there never seems to be an answer. i just got the system in my sig in today, got it all put together running great. i was installing software on my computer and went to a random restart. when it goes to boot back up it comes on for about 3 seconds then shuts back off. i have tried to reseat the cpu, clear cmos, all power connectors r hooked up. does anyone know something im missing here? i really want to get to gaming!

ScottL4784

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
ok so i called gigabyte and they told me to start with just the mobo and and 1 item until i find the problem. well when i add the cpu it has the problem. however i dont know how i can tell if it still boots, since the cpu makes it restart. any ideas?

In BIOS set the memory voltage to 2.1-2.v or Mfg. Specs. You will need to adjust the memory speed to PC8500 and set the memory timings also. Use one DIMM in slot 1. Ater you load the OS and MB system drivers, install the second DIMM.

You likely have a short. Try unplugging everything except the CPU,1 DIMM RAM and the video card and boot the system with only CPU, RAM and video card and get to BIOS. The HD, optical drives, sound cards, etc., unplug it all. If the system still won't post, your MB may be shorting out the system. It likely a short OR a bad PSU.

ScottL4784

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
the last time something came on screen was something about a bios updating or restoring. then it cut off and nothing would come up as it only came on for 3 seconds

Are you using the stock Intel haetsnk and fan that came with the Q6600? If so, you might check the mounting legs and be sure each leg is snapped firmly into place causing the heatsink to make complete contact with the CPU.

BIOS on the screen? I think I would reset the CMOS jumper about now. In you MB manual...unplug the system from the wall, remove the battery and reset the CMOS jumper to default the BIOS.

Did you try to update the BIOS already?

ScottL4784

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
im using a ultra 120 and i tightened it as far as the screws would allow me. i dont know if this is b\c the cpu wasnt all the way down or not, but i unlatched the cpu for just a sec to see if it would come on and it didnt cut off. i dont know if it booed or not though.