AMD 3870 X2 official specs!

shargrath

Distinguished
May 13, 2007

:O. ati, three letters, times 3 by every letter and you get 3 3 3 or nine...divide nine by three and you get three...3 numbers for each letter..if you times them by two...you get,,,6 6 6, dear god.

other then that,
hawtness, (no pun)
cant waitt.

edit:the image links aren't working fo meh.

Falken699

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2007
Ok, I haven't posted in a long time now. I was reading this and with my 8800 640 I feel like I was living under a rock.

640 Stream Processors??? That is totally insane.

Well, I give up. I am going to only buy new systems at this point with each "revolutionary" game that comes out, that marks a new Game Engine generation, ex. Doom 3, Crysis, etc.

My next new system will be when then next engine AFTER Crysis is out. Then I will WAIT until an x4 or x8 Videocard of that generation can get 60 FRAMES PER SECOND 1080P or else I ain't buying nothing.

There. That tactic seems foolproof. I will never buy for a game again to be burned at sub-30 FPS gameplay. Lesson learned. Just blew 400+$ a few months ago for 96 stream processors now we are up to 640????

Live and learn.

G

Looks hawt. Although I'm sure my 8800GT will be fine for me until the generation that follows the 9800gtx. No thankyou to buying a new card every generation.

But this looks exciting for anyone about to build.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Sure, 640 stream processors... yay.

Too bad it's crippled by a lack of RoPs and TMUs. (only 16 each per GPU so a total of 32 each for the x2, which severely bottlenecks all your pretty stream processors)

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'd really love one of these cards. I'm just disappointed in ATI for not improving upon a blatant shortcoming in their flagship product. Would 8 more of each RoP and TMU have really increased cost that much? I'm willing to bet the cost would have been offset by the reduction of the memory lanes.

sailer

Splendid

That's getting out the marshmellows or hot dogs to roast on the heat output.

Now where was that add for a 1500wt psu?

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
No octo it doesnt have enough connectors, 2 of these or 4 of the single ones for quad xfire.

Idk why people say "will this beat dual 3850???" etc...

Obivously if its a 3870x2 then it is 2x 3870's which means it will beat 2x 3850s!!

Common sense people!

Atleast xfire scales extremely well compared to SLI so this will likely match 2x 8800GT in most things.

It isn't really crippled by ROPS you just use the shaders to do AA instead.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
i think i need a change of boxers :T the ati fanboy inside of me is crying tears of happiness T_T...and here i was bout to go for a 8800GTS. but we'll see how the 9xxx series stands eh?

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Can't wait to see benchies for this thing. If it performs as well as is speculated, it may very well be the card for my in progress build.

Hatman

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
I said it CAN be quad crossfired, since it has 2 gpu's, but 4 of them cannot be used to make octo, just 2 of those cards for quad.

Np strangestranger sry 4 being so aggressive btw :p

Should perform just as well as 2x 3870's in xfire so have a look to see how well they do.

Tbh it should need a stupid amount of power... a single 3870 is rated 100watt so if its like the GX2 powerwise it should be less tbh it would be around 150watt for a single 3870x2. So dual ones of these will likely use less power than dual GTX's.

justinmcg67

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
It's a rumor...

- The AMD logo in the upper right hand corner for every image is not centered, when using a "official" PowerPoint presentation, all the logos should be even with each other, it's professionalism. Look at every official thing AMD has said in the past, it's even, clean-cut, it's professional. These are sloppy and don't look anything even close to professional.

- If these were official specs, DailyTech or TG Daily would be all over it like a nude celebrity and the tabloids. But, some no-name site is covering the OFFICIAL specs? ...right.

Until this comes from a serious and legit source, I'm calling this one BS. Nothing seems legit about this article.

gamebro

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Well, if those aren't the real stats, don't ya think it'll still be close to that? 1teraflop seems realistic when you think of 2 3870's working together right?