New 8800 GT, doesnt boot.

shauncr91

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
Greetings,

Over the past couple of months I have been building my new gaming machine.

Today I recieved the final part, a "BFG 8800GT OC 512MB".
I have put the new card into my machine, which has been working fine for weeks, and the monitor doesnt come out of standby when I power up the machine.

I have tested the card in another machine and it is working fine. When I put my old card in my PC (BFG 7800GT OC 256MB), it works fine.

I have also tried two different monitors, and been able to rule out the possibility of my monitor being dodgy.
I have tried both new and old BIOS versions, this didnt make a difference.

My full spec's are:
ASUS P5N-E SLI
2GB OCZ DDR2 PC 6400
Hiper Type-R 580w
BFG 8800GT OC 512MB
Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600 (Quad Core)

Any idea's would be truly appreciated

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
According to the site below, you have 30amps on the 12v rail. Which should be enough. My 8800gt ran at stock settings on my old TT 420 with 18amps on the 12v rail. (though it was very flaky in games, it still booted)
http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/reviews/cases/Hiper_TypeR_580W_2.html

I have heard that the PCI express 2.0 cards have been having problems with the PCIe 1.0/1.0a slots. I have a PCIe 1.0/1.0a slot and had no problems, but maybe I got lucky.

shauncr91

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007

I will try uninstalling drivers and booting it up now.

And as for power. I have tried both plugging in the single PCI-E cable from the PSU, and the molex --> PCI-E connector which was supplied with the card.

shauncr91

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
The uninstalling the drivers didnt make any difference.

I really have run out of ideas for this problem. There isnt any 'faulty' components here, just something that isnt compatible with my graphics card, but I really cant figure it out as I have heard of other people using 88** cards with this motherboard.

shauncr91

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
I just uninstalled.
But im not sure how a driver issue could prevent even a boot screen being presented.
Should I perhaps try again with driver cleaner?

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi

If it was me I would upgrade the motherboard CMOS (with the old GPU in place). Clear the old settings out when you fit the new card (take the CMOS battery out or use a reset button if provided - with power unplugged). Ignore all those idiots going on about driver conflicts. If your system isn't POSTing than you have a hardware conflict problem that is way-way pre-OS!!

It is of course vital to make sure the card is fully and well seated in the slot!! Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!!

I am not so sure about a Quad-core and a high power (_overclocked_ = more Watts) GPU running off 580Watts. In theory it should be all right but I wouldn't do it myself... Sounds like you could do with a beefer PSU. During POST you get a high draw on the PSU from everything... I have a PC Power & Cooling 850Watt PSU + UPS for my dual-Opteron (single core!!) and an X1950 Pro rig!!

Bob