Do I trust the Power Supply?

rawbeefman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Over the year I have compiled parts for my girlfriends Christmas present. I put some time into choosing the parts, and painted everything pink. Good looking piece.

However, I began putting it together today, and noticed the power supply that came with the case is pretty measly. It is an Allied Switching Power Supply, model SL-220FX, 220 watt. I am being very nice to the power on the system:
45 watt sempron
1x3.5" IDE hard drive (but considered a 2.5")
1xcd burner
matx board with onboard 6100 graphics.
1 ddr dimm (512)
foxconn wireless card.
Linux with some nice cpu frequency scaling.

Natually, I would just say go to the store and drop the final 50 bucks on a solid 400 watt psu. But this thing is some low profile looking thing and I cant find ANY vendors of it that sound reliable.

So, my question is, do I trust the PSU? I have used PSU's that come with computers, but I am always very cautious. I am very catious though, with this funky lookin PSU. Nothing like sending a relationship sour like a term paper lost on the hard drive of a Christmas present, right?

Thanks everyone.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Ouch! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I did a quick search on junnyguru for a review of an Allied. All I found was Allied AL-D500EXP 500W power supply review

Here is a quote:
The test five results should give you a pretty good idea why the crossloading tests weren't done. Quite simply, right after test four was begun, after recording the data and scope readings, the Allied exploded.
And this one
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture? You, in Minneapolis. No, it's not missing a sledgehammer to the case, wise guy. That comes later.
And then theres the score of 4 out of 10. Anything below 9 is not recommended. That doesn't really give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

So in answer to your question, how big are your bal... uh... how much guts do you have?

QuadFusion

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
You are a good man, "rawbeefman". You spend one year on this, and took the time to paint everything. Nice ! I'm sure your girlfriend will appreciate it.

I would say get a new 250w-300w PSU.

rawbeefman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
I suppose I deserved that.

Thanks, for the most part.

So, does anyone know anything about this low profile PSU form factor? As far as I know, no quality vendors stock this type of PSU.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Deserved what? I wasn't busting your bal... uh... never mind.

Getting a small form factor PSU is a pain in the butt. I reminds me of dealing with the small HPs etc. I just swap the case. I know that isn't an option here. Do you have a link to the PSU so that I can get the size? It may cost some dough for a decent one, assuming I can find one at all.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
It looks like you are going to have some trouble. I found your PSU on line.
Apex PS SL-220FX/275TFX 275W Flex ATX 12V
Dimension - 5.75" x 2.1" x 3.25"

The only thing that I found that was close was Enermax EG320S-VB.
Dimension: W125*H63.3*D101.5(mm)
Corrected 4.921" x 2.492" x 3.976"

You will have to see if it will squeeze in, you might be SOL. If it looks like it will fit, then verify my data before you buy it.

What you are going through right now is exactly why I will never buy a small form factor case.

mrmez

Splendid

Given the specs of the system im assuming its not gonna take much punsihment.
Put the specs into the prog and u will see the power required is ~140w @ 85% load.
Given that the sys prob wont ever hit that for more than a few seconds, id say ~220w is fine.

So the form factor isnt really an issue if he doesnt need a new psu.

Just setup her programs so they auto save every 2-3min or so, and also auto backups every few days. Do it to a networked computer, or online space if u can.

Next year, just buy her bling.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Uh, His question is should he trust the PSU not does it have enough power. Note my link and quotes to the junnyguru test of the Allied 500W version. It blew up. We all know he's not drawing too much current for the POS Allied PSU. The question is whether it will blow up and take out his gift to his girlfriend.

It does appear that he will have no choice, so save often.