Help - How can I make my table top PC shutdown properly?

I was using Win98SE for several years on my home PC.
I have loaded WinXP Pro with SP2 now and it works OK.
Here is my problem :- As I boot WinXP Pro., it does boot
properly, but after booting, if I want to shutdown my PC,
it hangs. What is frustrating is, if I want to re-boot during
active condition, it does go through the re-booting properly.
As long as I do not have to shutdown the PC, everything
behaves OK.

During 'shutdown', it does go through -
'Logging off...'
'Saving your settings...'
'Windows is shutting down....'
I hear a clicking noise, but it never shuts off the power.
I have to manually hold the power switch to shutdown the PC.

While I was using this PC with Win98SE, I had no trouble
to turn on or shutdown this PC.

Any suggestions? Is there any special settings to make
the PC shutdown properly? I do appreciate all the help.

O Noah
4 answers Last reply
More about help make table shutdown properly

    "O Noah" wrote:

    > I was using Win98SE for several years on my home PC.
    > I have loaded WinXP Pro with SP2 now and it works OK.
    > Here is my problem :- As I boot WinXP Pro., it does boot
    > properly, but after booting, if I want to shutdown my PC,
    > it hangs. What is frustrating is, if I want to re-boot during
    > active condition, it does go through the re-booting properly.
    > As long as I do not have to shutdown the PC, everything
    > behaves OK.
    >
    > During 'shutdown', it does go through -
    > 'Logging off...'
    > 'Saving your settings...'
    > 'Windows is shutting down....'
    > I hear a clicking noise, but it never shuts off the power.
    > I have to manually hold the power switch to shutdown the PC.
    >
    > While I was using this PC with Win98SE, I had no trouble
    > to turn on or shutdown this PC.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Is there any special settings to make
    > the PC shutdown properly? I do appreciate all the help.
    >
    > O Noah
    >
    > Hi I think that you might have problems in power management setup. Or
    your AT/ATX power cord in your motherboard may have been not correclty
    fixed. Better verify these.-Giri @ StPauls

    Hi,

    Check the Control Panel/Power Options, on the advanced tab you may need to
    enable APM. It is not enabled by default on some older systems.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "O Noah" <o_noah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I was using Win98SE for several years on my home PC.
    > I have loaded WinXP Pro with SP2 now and it works OK.
    > Here is my problem :- As I boot WinXP Pro., it does boot
    > properly, but after booting, if I want to shutdown my PC,
    > it hangs. What is frustrating is, if I want to re-boot during
    > active condition, it does go through the re-booting properly.
    > As long as I do not have to shutdown the PC, everything
    > behaves OK.
    >
    > During 'shutdown', it does go through -
    > 'Logging off...'
    > 'Saving your settings...'
    > 'Windows is shutting down....'
    > I hear a clicking noise, but it never shuts off the power.
    > I have to manually hold the power switch to shutdown the PC.
    >
    > While I was using this PC with Win98SE, I had no trouble
    > to turn on or shutdown this PC.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Is there any special settings to make
    > the PC shutdown properly? I do appreciate all the help.
    >
    > O Noah

    Rick,

    Thank you for so quick reply. I have gone thru APM (Advanced
    Power Management). Tried to re-load just about everything. Seems
    like SP2 has created some problems. I am still looking for a fix.

    O Noah

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%238qo8jqjFHA.576@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    | Hi,
    |
    | Check the Control Panel/Power Options, on the advanced tab you may need to
    | enable APM. It is not enabled by default on some older systems.
    |
    | --
    | Best of Luck,
    |
    | Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    | http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    | Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    | www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    | Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    |
    | "O Noah" <o_noah@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | >I was using Win98SE for several years on my home PC.
    | > I have loaded WinXP Pro with SP2 now and it works OK.
    | > Here is my problem :- As I boot WinXP Pro., it does boot
    | > properly, but after booting, if I want to shutdown my PC,
    | > it hangs. What is frustrating is, if I want to re-boot during
    | > active condition, it does go through the re-booting properly.
    | > As long as I do not have to shutdown the PC, everything
    | > behaves OK.
    | >
    | > During 'shutdown', it does go through -
    | > 'Logging off...'
    | > 'Saving your settings...'
    | > 'Windows is shutting down....'
    | > I hear a clicking noise, but it never shuts off the power.
    | > I have to manually hold the power switch to shutdown the PC.
    | >
    | > While I was using this PC with Win98SE, I had no trouble
    | > to turn on or shutdown this PC.
    | >
    | > Any suggestions? Is there any special settings to make
    | > the PC shutdown properly? I do appreciate all the help.
    | >
    | > O Noah

    Giri,

    Thank you for the relpy. I will definitely check the motherboad
    plugins, since nothing else seems bad. When all else fails, I end
    up in a PC shop. I am not sure they can fix this problem.
    Thanks again.

    O Noah

    "Giri@St.Paul" <GiriStPaul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    | "O Noah" wrote:
    |
    | > I was using Win98SE for several years on my home PC.
    | > I have loaded WinXP Pro with SP2 now and it works OK.
    | > Here is my problem :- As I boot WinXP Pro., it does boot
    | > properly, but after booting, if I want to shutdown my PC,
    | > it hangs. What is frustrating is, if I want to re-boot during
    | > active condition, it does go through the re-booting properly.
    | > As long as I do not have to shutdown the PC, everything
    | > behaves OK.
    | >
    | > During 'shutdown', it does go through -
    | > 'Logging off...'
    | > 'Saving your settings...'
    | > 'Windows is shutting down....'
    | > I hear a clicking noise, but it never shuts off the power.
    | > I have to manually hold the power switch to shutdown the PC.
    | >
    | > While I was using this PC with Win98SE, I had no trouble
    | > to turn on or shutdown this PC.
    | >
    | > Any suggestions? Is there any special settings to make
    | > the PC shutdown properly? I do appreciate all the help.
    | >
    | > O Noah
    | >
    | > Hi I think that you might have problems in power management setup. Or
    | your AT/ATX power cord in your motherboard may have been not correclty
    | fixed. Better verify these.-Giri @ StPauls

Boot Microsoft Shutdown Windows XP