wich is the best AMD cpu?

Nerox

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Well, I have an amd 4200 2.2 cpu, and I want to upgrade, which one do you recomend me? I have an asus m2n32 sli deluxe motherboard, and I do a lot of gaming, I was looking on the web, and I have a question, is better 65nm than 90nm? which is better?

If that's a 65nm cpu, that is the best you can get. Basically overclock it. I've got the 65nm x2 4000+ overclocked to a 5600~5800+ cpu. Can't really get much better, other then the "black" edition 5000+ that can overclock to a 6000+ or higher. Phenom is a joke. Any X2 cpu over 5600+ is faster then ANY Phenom model. And (OBVIOUSLY) most motherboards will NOT support the Phenom cpu. That's just fact.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
The fastest AMD X2 is the 6400+ X2, but it uses the older 90nm. Just don't expect a huge boast in performance from what your already have, if you do upgrade :)

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Take 6000+ or 6400+ if you want something faster now, or wait for a better Phenom, might be 6 month from now. 4200+ is still a descent processor, I wouldn't upgrade for now.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi,

The answer is simply that is the wrong question. If you want to know what part offers a good "price/performance AMD upgrade at this present time" the answer is basically none... Since Intel are whipping the pants off AMD CPU's just now... Any other AMD processor will offer minimal upgrade potential (a few FPS perhaps but nothing more)...

I speak as an AMD user myself I should add...!! Although I personally always like to have a CPU with the largest CPU cache available in it's class... (i.e. 2x1Mb in your case)

Bob

Nerox

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
well, but I mean I have an evga 8800 gt and I think my procesor is causing some bottleneck..!?, and what about getting and AMD X2 5000 Black Edition, wich is 65nm, and overclock it to 3.0 ghz? would I notice a diference between my 4200??

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi,

Surely you don't need me to search on THG for the AMD Black Edition CPU review??!!

You do!! OK here it is then:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Athlon64-X2-5000-Black-Edition,review-29679.html

As you can see you will get quite a significant boost in the old FPS with a good graphics card.
If you can't get your current CPU to overclock (say because your RAM SPD won't allow it) then the Black Edition processor could be a good option. Of course there is always the option of getting a cheap Intel MB (older generation say a P31) and a budget Core 2 Duo to OC!!

Anyone else aware of a better AMD CPU (like available to buy in the shops that really exists!!)...
I certainly don't of any myself...

Bob

Nerox

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
OMG thanks for the link, and sorry for not searching... well It seems the 5000 black edition is a good choice to upgrade! but there is something I dont understand... whats that of memory divider something like that? it automatically change when you change cpu speed? and other question ... for what is necesary the l2 cache? if there were more like 4mb of l2 cache like intel does, there will be a noticable boost performace?

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
The believe that the 65nm cpus are faster is a common misconception regarding AMDs processors. Their 90nm chips offer a superior latency (F stepping). Clock for clock the 90nm are faster than the 65nm.

Nerox

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
mm thats right, well I need something to do a lot of gaming, I will say that the 6400 for its highest clock, but I dont like the fact that it uses 90nm and because of that it produces a lot of power consumption and a lot of heat, thats why I want something that doesnt overheat, something that i can overclock it without any problem of heat or something similar

brett_monkey

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007

Howdy, your processor is not causing any bottleneck. It is a common misconception that older cpu's cause bottleneck in today graphics cards. This is simply untrue at resolutions at 12X10 or above. My brother is still running a Athon 3200, and is still near to maxing out COD4. Now, below that resolution yea you might see some 'bottleneck'. But most of us here I imagine run at that resolution or above. I am still on an old 939 board and am able to max out just about every game I play, except Crysis.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
You wouldn't happen to be Shadow that I met in TF2 the other day would ya?

Overclock your processor and see if the frames go up. If so, you can keep the OC on the chip or you can go buy a better one.

Hmm, too bad that isn't a 939 board. Then you could get my favorite, an FX-60. Seriously though, try a little overclocking for now. I am sure in processor intense apps you would notice the increase of a Black Edition, however most games will not get a huge improvement, not like upgrading a GPU.