Power supply fan orientation

Warpspasm

Distinguished
May 28, 2003
I'm installing my OCZ power supply in a Coolmaster Stacker 830 case. The case allows you to install the ps in either a fan up or fan down orientation. My gut feeling is the ps fan pulls hot air from the ps and out of the case, which would have me install it in the fan up position. But, there is no real vent in the case where the fan is located. There is a pretty good sized air space which leads to a vent about 6 inches away however. But, if the ps is installed that way, all of the printing on it is upside down, which leads me to believe it should be fan side down. With fan side down, it would blow air almost directly over the case exhaust fan, which I figure would take it out of the case. But it would also be blowing the warm air into the case and pretty much over the cpu cooler area. I'm really confused about this and don't want to have to reinstall it after I find out I did it the wrong way. Anybody have any ideas on this?

futurepastnow

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007

All power supplies should exhaust hot air from the case (and themselves in the process). Never heard of one that blew air in.

Anyway, you can tell which way a fan will blow just by looking at it. Case fans always blow towards the fixed part of the frame where the motor is attached.

I have seen several MATX and one ATX that worked in reverse(sucked air in....)....

It can be done, since it gives the PSU cooler air you can get more watts at lower noise....not saying they do it anymore....but it has and can be done....

I have also seen PSU's come with the fan wrong....so thats why i asked(I have a GameXtreme so i know it should blow out....but it never hurts to ask, in case of factory error)....